• SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Recoil with pistols or long guns? If it's pistols, grip strength makes a substantial difference. If you think about it, if you have a stronger grip than someone else, you can use a smaller percentage of your strength to accomplish the same work as the other guy. The less you have to death grip the gun (which makes manipulating the trigger more difficult), while also still having a firm grip, the better. Forearm strength can also make a noticeable difference. Pretty much anything upper body helps. You can train grip separately using good quality grippers if you want. I use the Captains of Crush brand grippers and am currently on the #2 (195lb), though I need to build more reps of those. Most people would probably need to start at the Trainer or #1 if maybe you have a bit of strength. There are also a lot of things that will already help in terms of grip strength, but that you can save time and do more work with, like deadlifts.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Grip it right and lean slightly toward your target. Make sure your feet are planted firmly about shoulder length or a little wider. Grip strength is important. Higher purchase on a handgun makes me more accurate and less vulnerable to recoil. I think maybe having less body fat could help because it makes you more solid for the firearm to recoil against

TheCytochromeC

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 12, 2013
    DFW
    Working out, IMO, isn't the best way to manage recoil. Form is number one, IMO. I do however, try to build my strength and endurance my holding weights for an extended period with arms out, as if I'm firing. I don't know if it really works but my and forearms are on fire after a minute. I think it'll help for shooting heavier handguns for a longer period of time.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I think maybe having less body fat could help because it makes you more solid for the firearm to recoil against

No offense intended to them at all but, some of the world's best pistol shooters are middle-aged fat guys (Rob Leatham, Taran Butler). ;) Just saying. lol One thing that is very noticeable on shooters at that level is the majority of them have very noticeably developed forearms and hands, even if the rest of their upper body isn't quite there. There is a lot to be said for form, optimal grip method, etc. of course. I also find that one of the ways the difference in grip strength becomes very apparent as a significant factor is with female shooters. Typically they have a much more difficult time keeping things under control, especially shooting at speed. I also see this with male shooters as well, when the grip strength isn't quite there. Bottom line, learning to hold and squeeze heavy stuff is hugely beneficial IMO.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Are you asking about recoil or muzzle rise? Actual recoil is about as much force as you making a fist and slapping the palm of your other hand on it from about three inches away. The best way to deal with it is to stop trying to anticipate it. Practice more. Muzzle rise I think would do better with stronger wrist muscles. You can work that motion with weights or resistance bands, or practice more.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Muzzle rise/flip isn't really a big deal. Even if a gun has quite a bit, as long as you have a solid and consistent grip, grip method, and upper body stance, the gun will at least recoil consistently relatively straight up and down, which is ultimately what you want. The actual cycle time of the slide is less than something like 0.05sec, so faster than any human can pull the trigger. So even with lots of muzzle flip, as long as you have a neutral grip with good passive resistance to the recoil so that you're following through and the gun is returning back on target, it is basically returning back on target faster than most people are used to seeing with their eyes.

All that being said, I do feel that grip strength is a major factor, and one that probably affects a fairly significant percentage of shooters. Most people don't really have a good degree of grip strength, and even a significant percentage of average people weight lifting might still be lacking in that area as well considering some of the aids that have become overly popular for some weight lifting activities (Wrist straps: Ditch them and build strength, unless you have a physical condition that you need them).

Top Bottom