• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShellbackBill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2015
    I'm thinking about adding a collapsible baton to my EDC.

Don't want to spend a load of money, but don't want to flea market crap either.

How can I be sure I'm getting a decent one, that won't fail me should I ever need to use it?

Also,

I've seen some that are made of sections of coiled spring. Which is better coiled spring or solid pieces?

Thanks in advance.

Bill
    Capitol Armory ad

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    might be wrong................but I believe that it is illegal to carry one if you are not in law enforcement. If I am, someone will be along shortly to correct/bash me on it

I think Texas Penal Code 46.02 for the law, and 46.01 for the definition of a club, not 100% sure on the codes though

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Academy has a Smith and Wesson one I bought for Jess. It seems pretty solid. It's the only one I've ever handled though, so there could be better collapsible metal sticks out there.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    This is one of those subjects where, the letter of the law would suggest that it is legal, whereas the understanding (maybe misunderstanding is more appropriate) in common practice is that it is illegal. I'm not a lawyer, so you'll need to read it for yourself and decide what you think. I'm sure TXI will be along to offer more authoritative and experienced words on the matter. As far as the law, the key, IMO, lies in PC 46.15:

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm

Sec. 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY.(a) Sections 46.02 and 46.03 do not apply to:

(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:

(6) is carrying a concealed handgun and a valid license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a concealed handgun;

Because, remember, 46.15 effectively says that UCW does not apply to a CHL holder. Where I think a lot of the confusion stems from, is the following final sections of 46.15. Again, I'm not a lawyer, I am not aware of all the case law and precedence behind some of these things, so take my words with a grain. These final sections effectively specify that people that fall into certain classifications are exempted from portions of 46.02 and 46.03. The thing is, they don't expressly state that those sections are still unlawful for all others. At least not in any direct way that I can decipher. Furthermore, 46.15 starts out effectively saying that if you fall into certain classifications, you're exempt from 46.02.

(c) The provision of Section 46.02 prohibiting the carrying of a club does not apply to a noncommissioned security guard at an institution of higher education who carries a nightstick or similar club, and who has undergone 15 hours of training in the proper use of the club, including at least seven hours of training in the use of the club for nonviolent restraint. For the purposes of this subsection, "nonviolent restraint" means the use of reasonable force, not intended and not likely to inflict bodily injury.
    (d) The provisions of Section 46.02 prohibiting the carrying of a firearm or carrying of a club do not apply to a public security officer employed by the adjutant general under Section 437.053, Government Code, in performance of official duties or while traveling to or from a place of duty.
    (e) The provisions of Section 46.02 prohibiting the carrying of an illegal knife do not apply to an individual carrying a bowie knife or a sword used in a historical demonstration or in a ceremony in which the knife or sword is significant to the performance of the ceremony.
    (f) Section 46.03(a)(6) does not apply to a person who possesses a firearm or club while in the actual discharge of official duties as:
    (1) a member of the armed forces or state military forces, as defined by Section 437.001, Government Code; or
    (2) an employee of a penal institution.
    (g) The provisions of Sections 46.02 and 46.03 prohibiting the possession or carrying of a club do not apply to an animal control officer who holds a certificate issued under Section 829.006, Health and Safety Code, and who possesses or carries an instrument used specifically for deterring the bite of an animal while the officer is in the performance of official duties under the Health and Safety Code or is traveling to or from a place of duty.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Why would you carry a baton? Unless you have specific training, any use of one is likely to be deadly force. You have a much better tool for use when deadly force is justified. If you are looking for a less lethal alternative for situations when DF is not justified, get you some pepper spray and be done with it.

;)

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I'm confused on the "specific training".
    I'm told that as an infant I was given a hard plastic baby rattle. I hit myself with it a few times and learned not to.
    Outside I grabbed sticks and branches to play with and beat on stuff with. It taught me what sufficient force was against all manner of materials to do damage. Little League was fun. Hammers are useful for construction or demolition. Canes, shepards staffs, cattle prods were all mastered in short order. Bumping tires with a dedicated device sold at the truck stop resulted in no bodily harm to myself or others. Golf seemed to be a contorsionist exercise, but I managed ok.

If two unarmed men get into a fight, the guy with the club has the advantage. Don't give up the club.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2014
    If two unarmed men get into a fight, neither has a club.

The training has more to do with the manner of use. In golf your target is golf balls, the hammer's target is a nail etc. When you train with a baton you are focusing on defense.

ETA, if you are hell bent on owning a baton, you get what you pay for. Personally, I wouldn't own one that isn't an Asp.

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    If two unarmed men get into a fight, neither has a club.

The training has more to do with the manner of use. In golf your target is golf balls, the hammer's target is a nail etc. When you train with a baton you are focusing on defense.

Like me and my brothers did.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I'm confused on the "specific training".
    I'm told that as an infant I was given a hard plastic baby rattle. I hit myself with it a few times and learned not to.
    Outside I grabbed sticks and branches to play with and beat on stuff with. It taught me what sufficient force was against all manner of materials to do damage. Little League was fun. Hammers are useful for construction or demolition. Canes, shepards staffs, cattle prods were all mastered in short order. Bumping tires with a dedicated device sold at the truck stop resulted in no bodily harm to myself or others. Golf seemed to be a contorsionist exercise, but I managed ok.

If two unarmed men get into a fight, the guy with the club has the advantage. Don't give up the club.

Do you know what serious bodily is? Do you know what deadly force is? Hitting someone with a baton is deadly force, unless you can articulate specifically why a particular strike is not deadly force. If deadly force is justified, use the handgun you have to carry in order to be able to carry the club.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2014
    Not having been there for your training with your brothers I am at a disadvantage to discuss the content or quality. I can say though that I very rarely deploy my baton and I have not yet used it to strike someone.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    One can see it as just another tool to have around for breaking stuff (not just skulls) if you are the type that has a bunch of stuff for edc. I don't see the point in going through the hassle of carrying one myself.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Makes sense for me when walking my little dog. The baton would be for any big bad dogs with bad intentions. I don't want to shoot an unarmed dog, but I'm willing to wave a stick at him.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Batons don't ricochet in to houses/kids/cars if you miss the dog. Also can be much easier to aim.

I don't want one, but it seems some are being fairly narrow minded about it.

Training for how to hit somethin with a stick, lol.

Literally so easy, a caveman could do it.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Batons hurt, they are painful, but anyone who really wants to hurt you won't be stopped. They are just too light to do real damage unless you hit someplace that could kill the person you hit.

Top Bottom