• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blasternank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    Keller (By Cabela's)
    I'm trying to find one for my son. He's 12 but on the short side so I'd need something with a short stock or has inserts. The main use would be duck hunting and shooting some clay pigeons. I don't know much about the youth models but if you have had one for your kid and it was reliable please let me know.

Thanks.
    Lynx Defense

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I would look at this gun. You asked for a 20, but lighter loads in a 12 might suffice. They also make a short stock 20 gauge, but it's not adjustable like this one.

(R.I.P. Tom Knapp)

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    LOP for a 12, for a 12ga. Forget any balance with a 26" barrel. It'll also wear his arse out. Having to heave the barrel up.

I understand the its easier to gun down then up, point of view. However for a 12yo, he needs something that will correctly fit him. I suggest a lighter gauge. Lighter shotgun overall. Ive personally hunted alone side a 410, carrying a 12ga. My fellow hunter was hitting birds i was cutting loose on. At 30+ yards. Birdshot. Of course this wasnt all magic. I had an imp cyl, he had full. None the less. It proved just as deadly.

Most my life Ive used a Browning BPS, 12ga. Bought the wife a BPS youth, 20ga. After I shot that 22", short stock, pump...it was a "WTF?" moment. Fast swing, lighter recoil, bottom ejection, some of the best walnut on production guns. Forget 12ga. Dad once told me that, 'the only difference between a 12 and a 20, is not out in front. But in the rear'. After 20+years of getting jaw jacked, pounded, blood blisters....for dove??????....I'll be damn if the basturd wasn't right. Damn....

suggestions

410, 28, 16, 20, pump, o/u, semi. Short barrels in the 22" to 24". (Ive never hunted duck, so yalls barrel length i have no clue about.) But if u can use the shorter lengths...it makes so much difference in small gauges. Dreams to swing, including by small frame children.

ervdrvr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Harker Heights
    Just got my wife a Franchi 720 20g auto. Reduced length, 26" barrel, 2 3/4 & 3" chamber. We put a full case (250 rnds) of #7.5, 1oz loads in just over an hour with no malfunctions. Gun weights about 6 lbs. Fits my wife great (she's 5', 120lbs). She loves it and looks forward to dove hunting this fall. It's a little pricy at just under $800, but it is a quality firearm.
    Hope this helps.
    Happy trails,
    Erv

Last edited:

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I've poked a little at the SA-20 for myself. Can't find one anywhere but it seems like it would be a handy addition.

Darryle

Crazy old Coot
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Weatherby SA-08

12 1/2" LOP, 24" barrel, adult size stock is $55 from Weatherby

Or you could buy my Beretta 391 Youth 20 ga in the classifieds and have a gun that will outlast him.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I've poked a little at the SA-20 for myself. Can't find one anywhere but it seems like it would be a handy addition.

My wife loves it. She tried my Remington 1100 and it was just too much for her. The SA-20 is smaller, lighter and more manageable. She loves shooting clays now because of it...

Top Bottom