• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blasternank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    Keller (By Cabela's)
    I'm trying to find one for my son. He's 12 but on the short side so I'd need something with a short stock or has inserts. The main use would be duck hunting and shooting some clay pigeons. I don't know much about the youth models but if you have had one for your kid and it was reliable please let me know.

Thanks.
    Gun Zone Deals

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I would look at this gun. You asked for a 20, but lighter loads in a 12 might suffice. They also make a short stock 20 gauge, but it's not adjustable like this one.

(R.I.P. Tom Knapp)

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    LOP for a 12, for a 12ga. Forget any balance with a 26" barrel. It'll also wear his arse out. Having to heave the barrel up.

I understand the its easier to gun down then up, point of view. However for a 12yo, he needs something that will correctly fit him. I suggest a lighter gauge. Lighter shotgun overall. Ive personally hunted alone side a 410, carrying a 12ga. My fellow hunter was hitting birds i was cutting loose on. At 30+ yards. Birdshot. Of course this wasnt all magic. I had an imp cyl, he had full. None the less. It proved just as deadly.

Most my life Ive used a Browning BPS, 12ga. Bought the wife a BPS youth, 20ga. After I shot that 22", short stock, pump...it was a "WTF?" moment. Fast swing, lighter recoil, bottom ejection, some of the best walnut on production guns. Forget 12ga. Dad once told me that, 'the only difference between a 12 and a 20, is not out in front. But in the rear'. After 20+years of getting jaw jacked, pounded, blood blisters....for dove??????....I'll be damn if the basturd wasn't right. Damn....

suggestions

410, 28, 16, 20, pump, o/u, semi. Short barrels in the 22" to 24". (Ive never hunted duck, so yalls barrel length i have no clue about.) But if u can use the shorter lengths...it makes so much difference in small gauges. Dreams to swing, including by small frame children.

ervdrvr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Harker Heights
    Just got my wife a Franchi 720 20g auto. Reduced length, 26" barrel, 2 3/4 & 3" chamber. We put a full case (250 rnds) of #7.5, 1oz loads in just over an hour with no malfunctions. Gun weights about 6 lbs. Fits my wife great (she's 5', 120lbs). She loves it and looks forward to dove hunting this fall. It's a little pricy at just under $800, but it is a quality firearm.
    Hope this helps.
    Happy trails,
    Erv

Last edited:

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I've poked a little at the SA-20 for myself. Can't find one anywhere but it seems like it would be a handy addition.

Darryle

Crazy old Coot
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Weatherby SA-08

12 1/2" LOP, 24" barrel, adult size stock is $55 from Weatherby

Or you could buy my Beretta 391 Youth 20 ga in the classifieds and have a gun that will outlast him.

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I've poked a little at the SA-20 for myself. Can't find one anywhere but it seems like it would be a handy addition.

My wife loves it. She tried my Remington 1100 and it was just too much for her. The SA-20 is smaller, lighter and more manageable. She loves shooting clays now because of it...

Top Bottom