• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    that's fine, but if you can explain how a 5lbs trigger that moves 1/8 inch is safer for someone with little trigger discipline over a 9lbs long pull I'll listen.
    Yes, the second trigger pull being short and much lighter leads to ND’s. I’ve watched this happened over the years with new shooters in both the Marines with M9’s and with new shooters I take to the range as well as with new shooters on LAPD when they carried the 92 before switching to the MP. A single constant trigger pull is much easier to learn even if it is lighter, also a striker fire pistol is easier to teach. No external safety, no is the hammer up, down, decocker, etc. KISS.

If they are going to practice DA/SA is what I prefer if they are not going to do they work they likely hood of a ND on due to the changing trigger pull rate is higher with a DA/SA compared to a striker fired pistol. If your arguing for safety of long and heavy triggers get a revolver and shoot DA only.

Now mind you Beretta 92’s are my favorite series of pistols but they are big, they are complex, and are not a beginners pistol.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Ya, this is akin to an oil thread or tire thread on auto/ motorcycle forums I’m a member of. As other have said, too many unknowns to recommend anything. Here are some questions to consider...

Auto or revolver?

Since the friend will be open carry, then that opens the door for 15+ rd double stack compact or full sizer if you go the auto route

For the auto, there a whole debate on 9mm vs .40SW vs .45ACP. Capacity vs knock down and cost of ammo

Poly frame or metal frame?

Another factor is cost of accessories and extra mags if going auto.

What‘s the budget? Do you want utilitarian or vanity?

It might be better to read up on what’s out there and narrow it down to a few options then ask the members here what their experiences are with those pieces.

Me, I’m sporting a Glock 19 when I open carry, and thats because open carry for me is only when I’m on the bike. Reason I chose it is because 9mm ammo was cheap to practice with, it’s simple and just works, lots of accessories available and mags aren't very expensive, double stack, pricing at the time was under $500 new, and if I take a spill on the bike and it gets scratched up or wet from rain, then I won’t sweat it. Sort of like a truck gun if you will.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Yes, the second trigger pull being short and much lighter leads to ND’s. I’ve watched this happened over the years with new shooters in both the Marines with M9’s and with new shooters I take to the range as well as with new shooters on LAPD when they carried the 92 before switching to the MP. A single constant trigger pull is much easier to learn even if it is lighter, also a striker fire pistol is easier to teach. No external safety, no is the hammer up, down, decocker, etc. KISS.

If they are going to practice DA/SA is what I prefer if they are not going to do they work they likely hood of a ND on due to the changing trigger pull rate is higher with a DA/SA compared to a striker fired pistol. If your arguing for safety of long and heavy triggers get a revolver and shoot DA only.

Now mind you Beretta 92’s are my favorite series of pistols but they are big, they are complex, and are not a beginners pistol.
    You have a point, but I would fear that an anxiety induced flinch or reholstering are more likely to happen than accidents from lighter sa pulls of a da. After the first shot, they should be pointing down range and isn't as much as an issue. I would bet most accidents happen with the 1st rnd in the chamber rather than on the 4th or 5th shot.

Chuckles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2021
    Fort Worth
    Ya, this is akin to an oil thread or tire thread on auto/ motorcycle forums I’m a member of. As other have said, too many unknowns to recommend anything. Here are some questions to consider...

Auto or revolver?

Since the friend will be open carry, then that opens the door for 15+ rd double stack compact or full sizer if you go the auto route

For the auto, there a whole debate on 9mm vs .40SW vs .45ACP. Capacity vs knock down and cost of ammo

Poly frame or metal frame?

Another factor is cost of accessories and extra mags if going auto.

What‘s the budget? Do you want utilitarian or vanity?

It might be better to read up on what’s out there and narrow it down to a few options then ask the members here what their experiences are with those pieces.

Me, I’m sporting a Glock 19 when I open carry, and thats because open carry for me is only when I’m on the bike. Reason I chose it is because 9mm ammo was cheap to practice with, it’s simple and just works, lots of accessories available and mags aren't very expensive, double stack, pricing at the time was under $500 new, and if I take a spill on the bike and it gets scratched up or wet from rain, then I won’t sweat it. Sort of like a truck gun if you will.
    He seems inclined towards autos. I don’t think he plans on spending a lot, so maybe around $600. Sounds like utilitarian.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    He seems inclined towards autos. I don’t think he plans on spending a lot, so maybe around $600. Sounds like utilitarian.
    Might consider a polymer then. Glock, Smith Wesson M&P series or Springfield XD come to mind but there are other excellent options as well. Someone earlier on this post suggested renting them at the gun range. I think thats an excellent idea. Try different calibers to gauge the recoil. Then there’s ergonomics. If the piece isn’t comfortable to shoot then your friend isn’t likely to stay in practice at the range. Nightstand home protection is one thing, but if carrying in public, it’s wise to go to the range often. No need to be a Barney Fife.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom