• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I picked up an S&W lightweight snubbie in .357 and need some SD ammo. I'm thinking .38+P and alternating shot type round might be doable for EDC. For those with this type weapon, what is your preference?

While proofreading, I realized the shot round could have a lot of liability if not used at an extremely short distance. I left it in for discussions sake.
    Hurley's Gold

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    158 gr. wadcutters........................most accurate!

Edit to add: Wadcutters are generally very accurate but........................not noted as a self-defense round! (I still wouldn't like to get shot with one!)

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I don't think it really maters anymore. Any good hollow point will do the job. Keep in mind any pistol round is marginal at best and will require multiple center mass hits to stop the threat. Shoot twice with a 38special and a 45acp. They are shot exactly the same.

Mongocaver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Lubbock
    Speer Short Barrel Gold Dot in 125 or 158 grain.
    Speer Ammo - Short Barrel
    If you click on the words "product listing" above the round, it will take you to some specs on the different rounds available.

My S&W 340PD with the Scandium Alloy Frame and Titanium Alloy Cylinder says on it that you shouldn't use less than a 120 grain round to prevent the other 4 rounds from unseating their bullets, so either of the above two rounds would work.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I don't think it really maters anymore. Any good hollow point will do the job.
    +1
    I think people tend to get too hung up on ammo selection. Any modern hollow point will do. I prefer to stay away from +P, but if you don't mind the extra recoil then sure a few more fps wouldn't hurt. Just be sure to practice with whatever you carry.

Buck Nekkid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    San Antonio
    I think you owe it to yourself to look at Hornady's "Critical Defense". They appear to expand reliably. I carry them in my compact 9mm and daily carry .40 S&W.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    BUG's: .380 ACP vs. .38 Sp - M4Carbine.net Forums

Interesting read, but basically, the JHP's from snubbies don't reliably get to 12" penetration. SWC will, but they won't expand.

YMMV granted, the above is for a 38 and +P 38 special. Personally, I wouldn't shoot 357 out of a airweight revolver, I like my hands too much.

That is a good read, thanks. I have a 6" brl Dan Wesson I've squeezed .357s through and I enjoy it. This little J frame I've only put 50 rd .38 through. I will try it with .357 at least once for the experience.

To the other posters, thanks. I will try one box each of some of the suggested and go from there.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    .357 Magnum - PDX1s

If you're at contact distance, the powder blast just might set them on fire, LOL.

An Airweight is downright painful with .357 ammo, but so is being shot / stabbed / kicked / etc.

Fisherman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    DFW
    I'll give another vote to the corbon dpx.
    Some others good ones, Speer Gold Dot or Winchester Ranger bonded.

Stick to a conventional hp and don't alternate between rounds in the cylinder.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Friday, I took off work early and decided to take the 340 CT to the range for it’s second outing and fired:

5 rd .38 FMJ (cuz that's all I had until going to Academy on the way to range. Comfortable to shoot)
    50 rd .38+P target rounds (Felt the difference. 1/2 way thru box, I knew why this was a BUG)
    5 rd .38+P PDX-1
    5 rd .357 target (BOOOMMMMM! Now when I scratch my nose, I smell singed hair. Dontknowwhy.)

Got a nice skin tear in the center of my palm now due to slight bulge on backstrap and a sore hand too. Damn I love my plastic gun.

Seriously, the biggest problem I had was I repeatedly pinched my index finger between the rear of the trigger and the guard. It's an SA only, internal hammer design. I know using fingertip only is best but, because of hand strength, that was difficult to do while controlling the trigger. When I used the second joint of index finger to pull trigger, I repeatedly had trouble firing gun accurately due to trigger pull vs. finger length.

Ultimately, in a SHTF situation, I've got a problem getting rounds off reliably. Any suggestions on the trigger finger problem or possible modifications to the revolver?

Oh, and thank you ROGER4314, I used your advise in My CHL class target thread, Post #17, and my grouping and POI did improve from 1st range trip w/this handgun. I am however still shooting left of POA. I will continue to work that out.

Take the silhouette target and turn it backwards. Print or use a 1" dot right over the center position of the backwards target. Shoot that, and your groups will improve almost immediately.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Seriously, the biggest problem I had was I repeatedly pinched my index finger between the rear of the trigger and the guard. It's an SA only, internal hammer design. I know using fingertip only is best but, because of hand strength, that was difficult to do while controlling the trigger. When I used the second joint of index finger to pull trigger, I repeatedly had trouble firing gun accurately due to trigger pull vs. finger length.

That's actually correct methodology with a DA pull that's heavy (using the interior joint, not the pad). You just need to make sure you're not wrapping the finger too much around the trigger. You just need to press, not grasp the trigger. You can play with this dry firing.

Top Bottom