• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Does anyone pack a EAA Windicator or a Armscor that they use for conceal? I don't carry pocket where it could snag... Good ole bellyband... I also like having the hammer... Just the security of the hair trigger for that first shot then DA afterwards...
    ARJ Defense ad

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Oh yeah, sorry, for conceal. I'd like to have a small-frame revolver to put in a pocket holster.

Smith and Wesson J-frame. With hammer or without, your personal preference. Go with .38spl +p and it's all the gun you'll likely ever need.

Hammer pros and cons: Pro - gives you the option of a single-action shot if you need to stretch your range or need one uber-accurate shot. Con - may snag on draw, but technique should eliminate this (put your thumb over the hammer as you draw).

Hammerless pros and cons: Pro- much less likely to snag under stress. Con - No single-action mode.

TBH, I think single-action isn't something that you should use 99.99% of the time in a defensive situation when armed with a revolver. Then again, I have a J with hammer.

The only downsides to carrying a revolver are that they tend to be kind of bulky compared to a pistol and capacity is pretty low, as most pocket-size revolvers hold only 5 rounds. That said, I'm not too impressed with the long-term reliability and durability of a lot of pocket pistol offerings, but with a good-quality revolver, it'll last longer than you. One other thing to watch for is that you need to get good with a double-action trigger, which is harder than it sounds. Lots of dry-fire practice is what you'll need.

If you can find one, I'm very happy with the old J I stumbled across - it's chambered in .38 S&W which is a little more powerful than .380. But in such a small gun, it's a lot more pleasant to shoot.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Kind of an old thread, but I guess people are still interested. I recently picked up this fine SW, and it pocket carries very nicely when I can't tote my P2000 or DW CBOB.

642-2.gif

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I like that... any huge differences in between that one and the Taurus of similar style and size except for price?

That was $479~ or there abouts. The reason I jumped on it is it is a no lock version which is very hard to find new. Don't know much about the Taurus, but I have confidence in the SW brand, and should I want to sell, it will for sure hold value.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    That was $479~ or there abouts. The reason I jumped on it is it is a no lock version which is very hard to find new. Don't know much about the Taurus, but I have confidence in the SW brand, and should I want to sell, it will for sure hold value.

True S&W does it hold it's price better, but also I try to steer away from that swaying my decision because then I have to rethink the purchase to begin with and say if I'm already thinking about selling this gun then why am I buying it in the first place?

Lobo_79

May 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    ..My problem is, I don't know jack about revolvers, I've never even shot one. Anybody got info/advice for me?

Okay this one is my favorite but it busts all the rules for pocket carry...unless of coarse you are a Kangaroo LOL.
    L1000753.gif

Seriously, my trusty carry revolver is a S&W Model 431PD in .32H&R Magnum. It has a 6-round capacity and ballistics very close to the .38 Spcl.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Are there gunsmiths out there that will adjust the trigger spring on little wheelguns? I know if a DA gets ahold of it then it might be considered making something more deadly or a "more efficient killing machine"... but seriously who wants an inefficient killing machine?

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Are there gunsmiths out there that will adjust the trigger spring on little wheelguns? I know if a DA gets ahold of it then it might be considered making something more deadly or a "more efficient killing machine"... but seriously who wants an inefficient killing machine?

Sure there are, but you should try a small pistol first to see if it works the way it's intended. That is a close quarter defense gun. With nothing more than the top strap grove and front blade sight on my 642, I can easily keep shots in 3-4" at 7 yards. A lot smaller if I really take my time... maybe 2". In a defense situation (which is the intend) you're not goint to be aligning sights and taking precise aim. You're going to be point shooting, and it is very easy to hit center of mass with those small revolvers with 8-9 lb DA triggers. At least I can do it. For me, I wouldn't change a thing.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Sure there are, but you should try a small pistol first to see if it works the way it's intended. That is a close quarter defense gun. With nothing more than the top strap grove and front blade sight on my 642, I can easily keep shots in 3-4" at 7 yards. A lot smaller if I really take my time... maybe 2". In a defense situation (which is the intend) you're not goint to be aligning sights and taking precise aim. You're going to be point shooting, and it is very easy to hit center of mass with those small revolvers with 8-9 lb DA triggers. At least I can do it. For me, I wouldn't change a thing.

True the grouping is important... but with a lighter trigger pull, especially on shrouded hammer DOA pistols only... it cuts down on the front sight wiggle... even if you're not using the sights they still wiggle...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

Not really in issue in Texas IMO. The problem wouldn't be during the criminal phase (if it's self-defense, it's self-defense) but during a civil trial... which ain't going to happen if it's self-defense here in Texas.

IMO this is only a potential issue in wussy liberal states that don't have strong Castle Doctrine laws.

Hawghauler

Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    My wife has a hammerless S&W made out of Scandium. Very light weight and concealable. You can shoot either 38 or 357 so it is convenient. Point and pull, leave no brass behind. 357 has all the punch you will ever need.

Top Bottom