• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tx_Mark

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    Just got my red dots today, I've never dealt with them, when i would use a scope on my bolt guns I would always use my laser bore sight, but with the muzzle brake on my AR I don't think it's going to work.

And I have tried the "look down the barrel method"

Help!?

"Prepare yourself for the future,with what you've seen in the present"
    Guns International

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    If you just can't use a laser bore sight or traditional bore sight (I can't imagine why not with a bolt rifle, but that's not what the post is about), then just get a full size target, start at about 25 yds, and take an aimed shot at the center of the paper. Hopefully, it will hit the paper. If it does-perfect. Walk it in from there.

If not, then turn both your windage and elevation all the way to one extreme. Next, slowly turn them to the other extreme (only adjusting one at a time), counting your clicks. Once you've made it all the way across, divide how many clicks you used in half and walk it back that many clicks. That should put your dot square in the middle of the glass and get you on paper.

Once you sight it in at 25, start working out to the distance you need and go have a good time!

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    You can co-witness your red dot sight with your irons or flip up sights.
    If you don't have other sights go to the 25 yard or less and get it on paper the move up to 50/100 and adjust.

Last edited:

Tx_Mark

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    If you just can't use a laser bore sight or traditional bore sight (I can't imagine why not with a bolt rifle, but that's not what the post is about), then just get a full size target, start at about 25 yds, and take an aimed shot at the center of the paper. Hopefully, it will hit the paper. If it does-perfect. Walk it in from there.

If not, then turn both your windage and elevation all the way to one extreme. Next, slowly turn them to the other extreme (only adjusting one at a time), counting your clicks. Once you've made it all the way across, divide how many clicks you used in half and walk it back that many clicks. That should put your dot square in the middle of the glass and get you on paper.

Once you sight it in at 25, start working out to the distance you need and go have a good time!

I edited my post, meant to say "always used a bore sight on my bolt guns, but with my AR...."

That may be my only option, to actually use ammo to sight it in.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Also, those long laser bore sights that stick out the end work just fine with your standard bird cage on the AR. I've done that a few times.

Tx_Mark

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    Also, those long laser bore sights that stick out the end work just fine with your standard bird cage on the AR. I've done that a few times.

Oh, okay. That's what I have. I hadn't tried it yet, but was seeing what other options there was if it didn't work.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The "look down the barrel method" didn't work?

That is my method and it never fails to get me close to center at 25 yards.

Tx_Mark

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    The "look down the barrel method" didn't work?

That is my method and it never fails to get me close to center at 25 yards.

I've tried it before, and never had any luck.. On several guns.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Used the bore sight that goes on the end too. Rifle totaly assembled with birdcage. 3 rifles sighted within 2 inches at 35 yards.

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic

Tx_Mark

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 26, 2014
    Used the bore sight that goes on the end too. Rifle totaly assembled with birdcage. 3 rifles sighted within 2 inches at 35 yards.

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic

Cool, I have an exspensive one, I'll try tonight

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Absent a bore sight or the patients to do the "look down the bore" deal, just shoot it at a big target and walk it in.

Most sights come zeroed. That is. centered and close to perpendicular to the bore. So if you shoot a center fire round at 25 yards it should be pretty close to the offset of the scope and barrel. Usually about 1.5 to 2" low depending on the set up. from there you can walk it up to where you want it. .223/5.56 about 1 to 1/2 low at 25 yards will give you 1.5 to 2" high at 100 yards, and pretty much zeroed at 200. That does take a bit more ammo, but you should be able to zero it with less than 10 rounds or so.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Yep. Go shoot it. Some people over think zeroing in optics. I'd never spend money on some zeroing device. Up down left right. Adjust point of impact accordingly.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I'm with them on shooting it, the method I use was taught to me in the Marine Corps and has worked well the majority if the time. Load a mag with 10 rounds and fire a 3 shit group, if your group is consistent and off target adjust as necessary. Fire a second 3 shot group and repeat. Then fire a 4 shot group to confirm. Repeat as necessary, if your grouping is all over the place then try to stabilize better and work the fundamentals.

Top Bottom