• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I am new to lasers on weapons. They come in red and green. +'s, -'s, why do one vs another.

That said I hit a jackpot on this: Found this green laser at a gun show for $149 ($50 bucks off). Almost bought it. So doing a lot of research I find it on e bay for $24 bucks and $2 bucks shipping. My guess is its a rip off, some weak plastic deal, but for $24 I will look see.

It came today. WOW, machined alum, loaded with extras and I tried it last night. I drives a laser beam at least a full 1/4 mile that you can see. One hellva deal. Looking for a green laser then this is a go to.

img_3479-2_med.jpg
    Target Sports

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    From my experience, green gets you a lot better visible distance in daylight. The downside, they use more battery power, are bigger, and cost (or used to) more.

Sounds like you got a good deal, let us know how it works and holds up.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Be careful to not light up a helicopter.

True. Friend of mine is an air traffic controller. You light up a chopper or plane, you'll quickly have agents trying to locate the origin of the laser.

Also, red lasers are for villains. Stick with green.

Cogent Design

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    True. Friend of mine is an air traffic controller. You light up a chopper or plane, you'll quickly have agents trying to locate the origin of the laser.

Also, red lasers are for villains. Stick with green.

How do they know they've been hit with a laser?

Green is in the middle of the visible light spectrum, making it easier to see in daylight.

yru6yhen.jpg

Thank you for posting this.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    How do they know they've been hit with a laser?

Thank you for posting this.

I suppose if you are just hitting the body of the aircraft they wouldn't know, but the beam breaks apart (not sure if that is the right term) when it hits the glass and floods the cockpit with green light. They say it is blinding, though I have never experienced it.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    I suppose if you are just hitting the body of the aircraft they wouldn't know, but the beam breaks apart (not sure if that is the right term) when it hits the glass and floods the cockpit with green light. They say it is blinding, though I have never experienced it.

This.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    We hear this from time to time but there are some flaws in this: Commercial aircraft fly at far higher than the output of any publicly available laser. If you have ever been in the cockpit of a commercial jet you might note you look out and to the sides, looking down is not easy except at a wide angle which increases the distance it has to travel. Couple that with a very small target that is traveling at somewhere beyond 150 mph. In order to follow it you have to be able to see where it striking, not easy from a mile or further away.

As for blinding you, again, not easy, the light has to strike your pupil directly and have some degree of latency. There is not enough power or light to be scattered that would blind any one. I think those claims are dubious, which is not to say he cannot happen, but its a high hurdle.

FYI Airline pilots have a low threshold for disability retirement justification. Eye tests like back pain is very easy to fake.

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    Don't know where you are located but have you tried stalk tech laser lights. they advertise on craigslist for several years in san Antonio. anybody try them ? Their add also says they can take another laser and change the color for you.

Reelthrill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Round Rock
    I am color blind Red Green. I wanted a laser on the Sig 1911 that sits by the bed at night. My concern being my ability to quickly find focus on the laser. The green was significantly easier for my eyes to pickup and see versus the red. I went to Blu Core here in Round Rock as they had a selection of each. They did not have to fit the Sig, so I ordered it from them online and it shipped promptly. As others have said, I am sure it will suck the batteries much faster than a red laser, but for target acquisition it was the best.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    I can see my green 5mw laser in daylight but only in shade. The 5mw red I can't see at all even in shade. My 100mw green I can see fairly well in open sunlight but I know to be exceedingly careful with where I aim it. A quick graze across someone's sight isn't likely to cause permanent damage though. I'd try a 500mw green to make bright daylight viewing very easy but I don't want to accidentally damage someone's vision. It's just not worth the risk, IMO.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom