• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Alot of people have been asking why so-and-so got banned, and I want to explain how it is that people obtain the coveted permanent ban.

There have been some accusations that I play favorites and that I will ban people on the reasoning that I don't agree with them. The first is true to some degree; I do play favorites. I will favor people that are productive or level headed members of the forum over someone who has to constantly berate other people and presume that anyone that doesn't fit their little mold is a "libtard". The second accusation is a last ditch attempt by people to try to pull the support of the forum in their favor, and ultimately is meaningless to me. I don't care what your mindset or ideology is as long as you are arguing it professionally and with respect to others. If you are making ultimatums and declaring any dissenter a "libtard" then your argument ceases to fall into this category.

What it takes to get banned on this forum is to constantly be "that guy" that I always have to watch. To constantly berate other people (veiled or outright) and to continuously ignore the warnings I give. In the case of Texas Investigator and MR Redneck I have banned them temporarily in the past for attitude issues, and I've sent PMs in the past, warned one or more on the forum, deleted posts, edited threads, etc. I have made it clear in the past that that kind of attitude would not be tolerated. They continued to go back to their old ways and I banned them.

I don't like banning people from the forum, but sometimes people just don't get with the program, and in my opinion it really takes away from the forum. It makes people become more reclusive and more guarded. When I banned West Texas almost immediately the forum posting increased by 25%, something to think about.

From the perspective of a forum member it may not seem as obvious. Alot of the material that gets people banned isn't left up, or seen (PMs / Emails). It's more or less a series of strikes, so even though they haven't committed the coup de gras, there is a larger picture at work.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I have come to the conclusion there are really only two types of people in the world...............it has nothing to do with age, gender, race, intelligence, religion, politics, position in life, etc...................those that "get it" and those that "don't get it". Most people are on on the "get it" side of the line........but we all slide over to the "don't get it" side occassionally, but quickly get back over on the "get it" side. It just take longer for some to "get it". And then there are those who seem to have issues with staying on the "don't get it" side and continually fight it. Just my two bits worth of psychology from going back and forth and being an old fart.

Edit to add: I like(d) reading the posts of both these guys..........very entertaining and informative but.........it is a forum and the folks that run it can do anything they deem necessary.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I've seen unmoderated forums and they always turn into a mess and eventually everyone of any quality leaves. It seems to me like this forum gives people pretty wide latitude and is pretty even-handed when it comes to putting on the brakes.

I have to agree with Hi-Cap and Charlie about the individuals recently banned. Some of the post battles between Redneck and Clockwork were epic and TXI did contribute a lot to some of the threads. I also understand the moderator's position and that sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. As Charlie pointed out, some folks just don't learn and there's a limit to anyone's patience in trying to deal with such a person.

Thanks for presenting your reasons, Texas1911. You don't really owe us that, but hopefully it helps clear the air.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    ya know, if you want to see what over moderation is like, go to Arfcom. Hell, if you have not been banned on arfcom you aren't posting.

We work hard to make this a productive forum and allow people to express themselves without over moderation and I think we have succeeded.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Arfcom.....oh, sheesh - now THAT is an unmitigated CF!! There are SO many "off-limit" words, phrases, etc. - and it's frankly a joke, IMO. Was a payin' member 'til I realized that it wasn't worth it.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    There are SO many "off-limit" words, phrases, etc.

The old Packing.org website (see how old I am?) had a lot of these. We had to use the phrase "C*ck the hammer."

Anyway, I will miss Redneck, and TxInv did give me the info I needed to get a CWP, but the rules must be respected. I'm sure we will all find a way to get by. :p

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Back in my day we used to type code in the middle of the freezing winter while walking uphill... BOTH ways! And we loved it!

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Thanks for the explaination, El Guapo, guys that get banned know the reason but can't seem to catch on....An old Marine Corps saying, "Theres always that 10% that don't get the word"....You run a good show here and I think 99% like it just fine ! Thanks for a great forum !

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I am just glad to know that we get a warning before getting banned. I figured that was the case because the mods here seem very fair in general, but I haven't received any warnings. I will try harder.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1qwerty
    Top Bottom