• ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Reid Sets Up Gun Background Check Debate : Roll Call News

The move appeared aimed at spurring a bipartisan group of senators to rapidly conclude their talks on background checks. Those senators include Democrats Charles E. Schumer of New York and Joe Manchin III of West Virginia and Republicans Tom Coburn of Oklahoma and Mark S. Kirk of Illinois.

I've been increasingly disappointed with Coburn and his cohorting.

Reid is starting the procedural steps needed to introduce the bill Thursday and have it ready in the queue for floor action when senators return from a two-week break for Easter and Passover. That means the bill could come up as early as the week of April 8.

Looks like he's hoping to sneak it in without a fight while the American public is trying to enjoy Easter.

Thus far, Democrats and Republicans have not been able to agree on background check language.

This worries me. They haven't agreed on language. I'd feel better with "they don't agree on the idea". period.
    Texas SOT

Randy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Austin
    Once again a long time (TOO LONG IMHO) republican is going out of his way to help the Democrats cheat the public out of their 2A rights......

Rogue

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Katy, TX
    What exactly are they looking to change with the new universal background checks, other than including mental disorders and such?

Rogue

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Katy, TX
    The scary thing is that requiring a UBC for private transfers, and including mental illness are such non front page issues for so many people this very well could get through. Definitely need to write our reps on this one.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Anyone have a lead on who's version they will present?

Shumer's bill SB 374 came up and passed in committee vote on March 12th (video feed - discussion of SB 374 starts at time stamp 21:45). Can anyone confirm this is the bill Reid is pushing? It passed the committee 10-8 down party lines.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    I know that logic and reason don't matter to those that are trying to do this.

But, on what basis do they think that the Federal Government can in any way regulate intra-state transactions between two private parties? Admittedly, Colorado can do what it did on UBC, but I really don't see how the Feds think that they can. The commerce clause of the US Constitution only allows them to "regulate" inter-state commerce.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I know that logic and reason don't matter to those that are trying to do this.

But, on what basis do they think that the Federal Government can in any way regulate intra-state transactions between two private parties? Admittedly, Colorado can do what it did on UBC, but I really don't see how the Feds think that they can. The commerce clause of the US Constitution only allows them to "regulate" inter-state commerce.

That's been my beef in front of a gun registry argument. Texas currently regulates private sales in her borders with her citizens. Involving Brady Law like junk even more so is ridiculous. Some of Shumer's details about what does or doesn't constitute a transfer smell just like the NFA rules rules on the books.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    That's been my beef in front of a gun registry argument. Texas currently regulates private sales in her borders with her citizens. Involving Brady Law like junk even more so is ridiculous. Some of Shumer's details about what does or doesn't constitute a transfer smell just like the NFA rules rules on the books.

Even worse. Shumer's bill is nothing but a collection of ways to turn law abiding citizens into felons. Leave your guns at home on a trip with a non-spouse roommate? Felony. Wait more than 24 hours to report a gun stolen? Felony. Lend a gun to a buddy on a hunting trip because his was damaged? Felony. Simply hand a firearm to someone without first doing a background check at a FFL? Felony.

It's nothing but a list of "gotcha" traps, and all of them will get you tossed into federal prison.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    True, most don't realize how far the government has exceeded the power it has already.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    FYI the bill was a proposal made by the group HERE. Here's some reading, including Mayors, members of that group. Take note of the Texas Mayors pushing this along. Looks like they need to hear from us.

TEXAS
    Mayor Annise Parker of Houston, Texas
    “Respect for the Second Amendment goes hand-in-hand with common-sense laws to keep weapons away from dangerous people. Senate Bill 374 is a proposal that addresses our gun violence problem while also protecting our constitutional rights. The bill closes the private sale loophole in the simplest fashion – enforcing existing prohibitions on gun ownership while putting minimal strain on the public. It is truly great news that the bill has been approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee. Please help to make the passage of this bill a bipartisan achievement.”

Mayor Richard Ward of Hurst, Texas
    “This isn’t a partisan issue – it’s just plain common sense. We can pay tribute to our Second Amendment rights and take responsible measures to keep guns away from felons, domestic abusers, and the severely mentally ill. I thank the Judiciary Committee for this critical first step in protecting our communities by enacting responsible, sensible legislation.”

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Even worse. Shumer's bill is nothing but a collection of ways to turn law abiding citizens into felons. Leave your guns at home on a trip with a non-spouse roommate? Felony. Wait more than 24 hours to report a gun stolen? Felony. Lend a gun to a buddy on a hunting trip because his was damaged? Felony. Simply hand a firearm to someone without first doing a background check at a FFL? Felony.

It's nothing but a list of "gotcha" traps, and all of them will get you tossed into federal prison.

I agree.

Also doing the metal exercise on this, how do you think LEOs will go about enforcing these laws? Is there a method of enforcement that does not violate the 4th amendment?

Here's a link I just started reading: http://www.foac-pac.org/news/767-sb...-senate-possibly-the-most-draconian-bill-ever

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    One of the parts that is really vague is the mental health aspect. Is there anywhere that say's what makes one prohibited and not? All that I see is that States will be penalized for not sending records to the feds for including in the NICS database. Seems like they want to have the records then decide what is and isn't prohibited behavior.

Top Bottom