0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    Reimbursing HUD may cost city millions

Challenges to use of federal funds date back to White's administration

By BRADLEY OLSON
    HOUSTON CHRONICLE

Sept. 23, 2010, 8:45PM

The city may have to return tens of millions of dollars to the Department of Housing and Urban Development for errors it made in the use of federal funds dating back to 2001.

A HUD official said the agency remains in "evaluation" mode and is working with the city to resolve adverse findings, but declined to comment on any potential new problems being investigated.

City officials characterized HUD's challenges to its use of federal money as old news, but sources with knowledge of the matter say the city could be on the hook to pay back between $35 million and $45 million due to previous issues and newly identified problems. Those include questions about "Houston Hope" homes, a signature initiative of then-Mayor Bill White that sought to help low and middle-income individuals buy their own homes.

Mayor Annise Parker said she was aware of "no recent developments" with HUD and noted that the city is in negotiations with the agency over problems that date to 2001.

"I don't intend to send any money back, but if previous administrations have done stupid things, we're going to have to fix them," she said.

Parker compared some of the city's challenges with HUD to those she has dealt with at the Metropolitan Transit Authority, where the decisions of Metro officials to ignore Federal Transit Administration procurement rules have delayed construction of new light rail lines and are expected to force the local transit agency to rebid a multimillion-dollar rail car contract.

"Just as there is a new Metro, there's a new housing department, and interestingly, there were some of the same problems," she said. "We're in complete compliance since I've been in office and we are trying to clean up some of the problems that have been lingering out there for nearly a decade."...

FOR THE FULL STORY:

ARJ Defense ad

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    My dad and mom are in Houston at M.D. Andreson...met them Friday in Corpus...and they were saying how the story came out, then it was like a curtain dropped and not one more word about it...kinda makes you wonder what else happened, and what other ACORN style libertiers he took that have been covered up.

jtriron

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    HoustonTexas
    Off topic here but hope for the best for your Mom and Dad, my wife is terminal with brain cancer and the staff at M D Anderson are the Best.
    My dad and mom are in Houston at M.D. Andreson...met them Friday in Corpus...and they were saying how the story came out, then it was like a curtain dropped and not one more word about it...kinda makes you wonder what else happened, and what other ACORN style libertiers he took that have been covered up.

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    Off topic here but hope for the best for your Mom and Dad, my wife is terminal with brain cancer and the staff at M D Anderson are the Best.

Thanks, my dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer in November, caught VERY eartly, had his prostate removed in February, and his down for a follow up. All is good and his chances of it coming back are less than 10%.

M.D. Anderson ROCKS!

texas1willy2

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    woodlands

I'm sorry to to hear about your wife, I wish I could think of something meaningful or helpful to say about your situation......

There are plenty of us in the Houston area if you need something post here or make a new thread, I'm sure there are plenty of us that would be more than willing to help out.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    MJA is a fine hospital. My mother went there years ago and goes for follow ups once or twice a year and there's been no trace of cancer. Praise God!

Top Bottom