• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ElevenBravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Anyone have experience reloading 45-70? I have a few years experience reloading most other rifle cartridges, but never done a straight wall caliber like 45-70. Do the bullets need to be lubed prior to seating? How far down the brass does the expanding die need to go?

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Jacketed bullets should not need lube. The expander die should go down just enough to open the mouth of the case to accept the base of the bullet. Usually that is just enough that you can feel a slight bell to the mouth of the case but might not see much. If it's a little too much the crimping process will remove it.

If you use a bullet like the one pictured you can get by with less bell but if the base has a flatter base or if you use cast bullets you'll need more bell.
    images

Remember the purpose of the expander is to prevent the mouth of the case from being crushed while introducing the bullet. You want as little as possible to work the brass less and prolong the case life.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've always wanted to get a modern 45-70 rifle and load smokeless powder rounds for it. It never happened. Great thread! I hope to learn a lot here.

Flash

ElevenBravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Jacketed bullets should not need lube. The expander die should go down just enough to open the mouth of the case to accept the base of the bullet. Usually that is just enough that you can feel a slight bell to the mouth of the case but might not see much. If it's a little too much the crimping process will remove it.

If you use a bullet like the one pictured you can get by with less bell but if the base has a flatter base or if you use cast bullets you'll need more bell.
    images

Remember the purpose of the expander is to prevent the mouth of the case from being crushed while introducing the bullet. You want as little as possible to work the brass less and prolong the case life.

Thanks for that advice. Is it worth playing with the seating depth at all for accuracy or just set it to SAAMI specs?

ElevenBravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    SAAMI specs for lever action rifles. single shot adjust for off lands depth. does make a difference.

The Mrs. wants to buy me a Marlin 1895 guide gun, so lever action. The only adjustments you can make for accuracy is powder charge, then?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The Mrs. wants to buy me a Marlin 1895 guide gun, so lever action. The only adjustments you can make for accuracy is powder charge, then?
    Different bullet weights and makes, different powder charge, different powder, better brass, and even seating depth.

You do have a little room to give on seating depth but they have to feed properly. Trying different powders and charges is your best bet.

How accurate are you going for?

ElevenBravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Different bullet weights and makes, different powder charge, different powder, better brass, and even seating depth.

You do have a little room to give on seating depth but they have to feed properly. Trying different powders and charges is your best bet.

How accurate are you going for?

Since I like to take the fun out of everything, as accurate as I can get.

APynckel

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Houston, Tx
    Remember, you're almost literally lobbing bricks with this round. Ya, you can get some decent groups out of it, but don't expect the world. My 1895G will do single ragged holes at 50 years, but stretching it to 100 it opens up. Granted I'm throwing 300gr pills at 2300fps or so.

The Nosler / Combined Technology 300 gr bullets have served me very well, and should kill anything outside of the big 4 in Africa. I would like to get into casting some heavy stuff though.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    OAL is what you get based on your bullet choice and case trim length.
    ..and your throat length, and bullet ogive, and magazine/ramp size, and... Lots of things can dictate optimum OAL.

I'm not sure any of that stuff matters in a revolver or not considering the chamber to barrel gap. Can adjusting bullet jump in a revolver affect accuracy?

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    My point is that a significant crimp is necessary in the common tube fed lever action. I recommend it be done in the cannelure or crimp groove. So, bullet choice places the crimp groove and trim length is what it is. The combination results in the OAL. Is the OAL optimum? It is what it is. Without the crimp, the 45-70 is very likely to move the bullet under recoil. I would guess the 45-70 BFR has the same "problem." If you are shooting a single shot... neck tension is probably adequate to get proper ignition.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Can adjusting bullet jump in a revolver affect accuracy?
    Of course, but the cylinder gap will probably negate most of it.

Most shooters wouldn't recognize anything less than a huge improvement in accuracy in a handgun though.

Without a scope mounted and a great rest (or similar setup like improved sights) I doubt it is worth the effort.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I finally got my Marlin 1895 Stainless in 45-70. The same day, the brass, dies and other goodies arrived. I was surprised that the cases have a significant taper from rear to front. That will make it easier to size than say a giant 44 magnum cartridge. Got the Lee die set and ordered the Lee "Factory Crimp Die" for the set, too. The factory crimp die does a terrific job on crimping

I'm going to use the same 300 grain Hornady #4500 bullet purchased for the .458 Socom. They are back ordered right now, but the price is reasonable at less than 25 cents each. Still have plenty left from the .458 Socom project.

IMR 4895 powder will be used as there's plenty of that around here. The recipes we'll use are from the Sierra reloading manual.

Ordered 100 Starline 45-70 brass cases from Midway at 46 cents each.

If this sounds like an expensive process, consider that Academy sells their 45-70 ammo for up to $3 per round. Ignoring the cost of the brass which is reusable, I can load those 45-70's for less than 50 cents each!

Flash

Last edited:

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    What COL has worked well with your BFR? They seem to have a longer chamber than most .45-70... What weight/style bullet, too?
    wish i could snap out those answers and look good doing it too. fact is, i shot it 6 times with a cast 465 GC over 15.5 Trail Boss at a gong at the end of a marlin 1895 scope dial in session at the range before packing it in. felt like a .44 spec light load. i have 40 rds of 465 gr and 405 gr over 34 and 37 grs IMR 3031 waiting to be shot. hopefully within the next two weeks. COL is 2.508

Top Bottom