• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gerritm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    seabrook, tx
    I am guessing this has been covered somewhere, but can anyone tell me what the basic equipment that is needed for loading .45acp and 9mm. I want a press type setup. Something fairly simple, not mass production. Any good websites or places to buy this used?
    Lynx Defense

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Most of the stuff I can new is from Graf and Son's
    Graf & Sons - The Reloading Authority

If you want to get lead bullets, there are better places, but for primers they let you backorder, and plated bullets they are a pretty decent deal. I'm sure there are better places out there, but they have given me the best deal much of the time.

As for getting used stuff, I'd just check craig's list.

robin303

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Austin

barhob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    new braunfels
    the first thing you need is a experienced reloaded to help you not make any mistakes.
    OJT is better than any book. (but still read the manuals)

Reloading is better than any drug.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Go over to a friend's place and watch/help during a few reloading sessions....Go online to MidwayUSA.con and see what they have for your needs....Start simple, a singlr press, dies, powder, bullets, primers....As Experience comes, work on up to bigger and better if you feel the need. The full auto loaders are a bit much for beginners and lots of shooters don't need reloads in huge numbers...

gerritm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    seabrook, tx
    Have you ever reloaded before? If you need help, I teach a class. Seelbachshooting.com or Roger 817-448-7683

Nope, never reloaded before. I just received a Lee pistol loader. It is complete with scale etc. I bought the 9mm and .45 dies. Where are you located? I checked your website. I have a basic knowledge from watching my brother load years ago.

RogerEMT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Fort Worth
    Just looked at your profile-and I am located farrrrr from you. But feel free to call on any questions you have at anytime, setting up dies and all that can be tricky. let me know if I can help.

drjavelina

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Central Texas
    I bought a Lee Anniversary press, set of carbide dies for .380 and .40 cal. I buy most of my stuff from Graf's, their prices are on the low side and they pay the freight.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Nope, never reloaded before. I just received a Lee pistol loader. It is complete with scale etc. I bought the 9mm and .45 dies. Where are you located? I checked your website. I have a basic knowledge from watching my brother load years ago.

It's really not that hard. You just have to choose a spot to set up and be very careful how you load. Get a book, and when you pick out a powder get the powder manufacturer's most recent load specs for that powder. I just got started loading in the past week or so, so all this stuff is fresh in my mind. I'm probably over-careful with my loading technique, but I plan on keeping all my digits attached. ;)

Which of their presses did you get? Is it a single-stage or progressive?

gerritm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    seabrook, tx
    This is the loader.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] [SIZE=+1]Lee Deluxe Turret Press Kit[/SIZE]
    The rugged Turret Press along with the Auto Disk Powder Measure, produce top quality pistol ammo in a hurry. A finished round with a few pulls of the lever. Large enough to handle monster belted magnum rifle cases. When it is time to change calibers, simply lock in a new turret and begin loading within seconds. In addition to the Turret Press and Auto Disk Powder Measure; the kit includes the Lee Safety Scale, unmatched for sensitivity, a primer pocket cleaner, cutter and lockstud to trim the cases and a chamfer tool to deburr cases after trimming. A set of Lee Dies is all that is required to complete this reloading outfit. All this at a price that will allow you to pay for your investment in a matter of hours.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

gerritm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    seabrook, tx
    It's really not that hard. You just have to choose a spot to set up and be very careful how you load. Get a book, and when you pick out a powder get the powder manufacturer's most recent load specs for that powder. I just got started loading in the past week or so, so all this stuff is fresh in my mind. I'm probably over-careful with my loading technique, but I plan on keeping all my digits attached. ;)

Which of their presses did you get? Is it a single-stage or progressive?

Which book is good for beginners?

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Which book is good for beginners?

The ABC's of Reloading, is the one most of us started with. Best way to learn, is to help someone else reload. IMO

I would also start out with some "mild" loads, until you get the hang of it. I would also load up just a handful and test them out before you go into massive production. Nothing worse then loading up a thousand and finding out that they won't run in your gun.

I was WRONG ! Worse things CAN happen.....just pay attention and follow instructions. If you are not sure....STOP......and ask ! It really aint that hard !

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    I use lee presses, have the single and 4 stage turret. Load a lot of 9mm. As all have indicated get a good powder book and work your loads according to data indicated. You can also get this info off the web sites for the bullet or powder makers. I also found that having a Lee Auto prime (hand held) is an excellent way to prime up 100 rounds before you hit the bench. You can prime them quickly without having to mess with primers and trying to put them into the little primer pocket on your turret press.

Find a system that works for you and take your time. It takes but an hour to load a hundred or so rounds even when double checking at each step using a Turret press. I always do a visual to ensure the level of powder in the case looks to be the same on each, it has prevented a couple instances where the powder did not flow properly and would have ended up with ultra mild loads (possibly stuck in the barrel bullets).

Good Luck and enjoy!!

gerritm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    seabrook, tx
    Lee included a pretty concise list of loads to use with the loader and directions. Will those work? It seems like CCI are good primers for pistol loads. Any ideas on a good clean powder? I intend to start off slow and careful.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Lee included a pretty concise list of loads to use with the loader and directions. Will those work? It seems like CCI are good primers for pistol loads. Any ideas on a good clean powder? I intend to start off slow and careful.

The internet is your friend. Just google the round you are trying to load. Lots of good info to compare. The Lee info you have should be a good reference to guide you at the start. All the brand name primers should work fine for handgun rounds.

I like Hogdon Titegroup for powder. It is a faster burning powder, so a little goes a long way. More rounds per pound. I use it in all of my FMJ pistol rounds. It is too hot for lead bullets and leads up the barrel pretty bad. I like it because I don't have to worry about mixing up powders, not having the right powder or anything like that. One powder does it all ! It burns fairly clean. Just a good all around powder. IMO

gerritm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    seabrook, tx
    The internet is your friend. Just google the round you are trying to load. Lots of good info to compare. The Lee info you have should be a good reference to guide you at the start. All the brand name primers should work fine for handgun rounds.

I like Hogdon Titegroup for powder. It is a faster burning powder, so a little goes a long way. More rounds per pound. I use it in all of my FMJ pistol rounds. It is too hot for lead bullets and leads up the barrel pretty bad. I like it because I don't have to worry about mixing up powders, not having the right powder or anything like that. One powder does it all ! It burns fairly clean. Just a good all around powder. IMO

I checked a couple of sights on the internet to buy Hodgdons Titgroup and all are out of it. Any other places to look. They have H380 in stock. Any other brands or types? Also does .45 take small or large primers?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The 45ACP takes large pistol primers, and magnum primers are not needed. That should be in your manuals. The Lyman manuals are good books, the newest is #49. I like Unique for most normal pistol rounds, it will load almost all cartridges and will fill the case most of the way up, making double charging all but impossible.

Top Bottom