• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    Does anyone offer a reloading class in the Austin area?

I would like to learn a little more about it before I jump in.
    Lynx Defense

mage2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    south of texas capitol
    I might be showing someone how to reload here in the near future. I have not been reloading that long when compaired the the old timers but havent had any problems either.
    If you are local to Austin Im sure we could meet up sometime and I could show ya the ropes.
    I would also strongly suggest reading the a reloaders book and watching some videos. PM me if you are interested.

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    The Austin Rifle Club has had a basic reloading class, but I am not sure when it will be offered again. Check the website at austinrifleclub.org and contact the education director.

dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    Thats all I did. Buy at least 3 books and take your time. Do you have a press yet.
    I don't have a press yet but that is one of the things I want to be careful with. I often buy one thing because I believe it is the right thing and then soon after learn that I should have bought something better. Since I know so little about reloading I thought that if I could take a class or see how this process works in action it might give me a better idea of what the best thing for me to get is. I am willing to invest but do not want to do it over and over again.

I might be showing someone how to reload here in the near future. I have not been reloading that long when compaired the the old timers but havent had any problems either.
    If you are local to Austin Im sure we could meet up sometime and I could show ya the ropes.
    I would also strongly suggest reading the a reloaders book and watching some videos. PM me if you are interested.
    Thanks!! That is an awesome offer. What kind of videos and books would you recommend?

The Austin Rifle Club has had a basic reloading class, but I am not sure when it will be offered again. Check the website at austinrifleclub.org and contact the education director.
    Yeah, I think they are in the process of transitioning to a new education director at the beginning of the year so I am not sure how much is scheduled into 2011.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    My question is what calibers are you going to be reloading? Most people start with 1 or 2. I read the speer manual front to back when I started but what I recommend is pick your caliber say 9mm and learn what needs to be done with 9mm. GO BUY A 9MM head-space gauge! If your loaded round doesn't fit in the gauge guess what it is not going to fit in your gun. If you get that right then the only other things you need to worry about are correct powder load, non damaged cases, and proper primer. It is not brain surgery just take one step at a time wear your safety glasses and go slow till you have it down.

If your money is not growing on a tree in your back yard go ahead and spend a few extra cents per case and buy prepped, cleaned, and trimmed(if applicable) brass off trusted businesses or individuals and that will allow you to focus on sizing, priming, powder, seating and crimping.

jcm

Top Bottom