• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    As I posted long ago, the brass and projectiles are the most expensive components.

At today's prices, even with once or more-fired brass, I cannot beat factory WW White box ammo, unless I make my own lead bullets.

The supply of lead wheel weights is starting to dry up faster than the drought we are suffering.

And what happened to the supply of linotype?

Be well.
    Gun Zone Deals

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    As I posted long ago, the brass and projectiles are the most expensive components.

At today's prices, even with once or more-fired brass, I cannot beat factory WW White box ammo, unless I make my own lead bullets.

Um, I just proved to you above that you can reload 9mm, .45 ACP, and actually, any common round out there for less than you can buy it factory.

drummingchevy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Houston
    If it's costs you $30 to reload 100 .45 rounds you are doing something the expensive way.

100 Pieces of Brass - $6
    100 230 gr. FMJs - $11
    100 Primers - $3.70
    Powder - $1.00
    -----------------------
    $21.70

Save most of your brass and you'll knock $5 off that, at $15 - 16 a box you're loading for half price.
    That's incredible!

I've obviously been doing it the expensive way:banghead:. Where do you get your components at that price?

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    That's incredible!

I've obviously been doing it the expensive way:banghead:. Where do you get your components at that price?

Source
    Description
    Price

Mastercast
    38 cal, 158 gr. RN Cast
    $55/1k

Mastercast
    40 cal, 180 gr. FP Cast
    $59/1k

Mastercast
    Shipping
    27.20 total

Mastercast
    45 cal, 185 gr. SWC Cast
    $60/k

Mastercast
    380 cal, 95 gr. RN Cast
    $43/k

Mastercast
    Shipping
    40.80 total

Avg shipping is $6/k

Mastercast Bullet Company
    291 Anderson Rd.
    Enon Vall, PA 16120
    www.mastercast.net
    mike@mastercast.net
    Mon-Fri, 0900 - 1700
    Sat, 0900 – 1300

Source
    Description
    Price
    Order Date
    Graf & Sons, Inc.
    CCI Primer, Small Pistol
    109.99/5k

Graf & Sons, Inc.
    CCI Primer, Large Pistol
    109.99/5k

Graf & Sons, Inc.
    CCI Primer, Small Pistol Magnum
    109.99/5k

Graf & Sons, Inc.
    Hazmat
    22.50/order

Graf & Sons, Inc.
    Handling/Insurance
    4.50/order

Graf & Sons, Inc.
    WW231 Powder
    124.99/8 lb

Graf & Sons, Inc.
    4050 S. Clark St.
    Mexico, MO 65265
    573-581-2266
    www.grafs.com

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    That's incredible!

If you order the Titegroup from Grafs and some primers you get some pretty good pricing. Titegroup requires very little charge, meters well, but I don't recommend it with lead. Quite honestly, I've huffed enough lead in my life and you'll never find me shooting lead bullets ... it's not worth the cost difference. I get my bullets from Precision Delta whom builds a good enough FMJ for shooting. If you want peak accuracy and all that, you'll have to play around but I get about 90% consistency with my reloads as I do factory at 7 - 15 yards. At 25 I suspect my loads are a bit unstable (that or my shooting goes to shit which is equally possible, LOL).

Powder Valley
    Graf & Sons
    Cabelas for Powder (No Hazmat and within a few bucks a lb. anyways)

Eventually I'm going to run out of brass, and will be forced to buy some or find some, but I'll deal with that when I get there.

Dragonheart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Katy
    These days, I don't need a Spreadsheet to determine when I break even by reloading my own ammo.

Fact is, it is far cheaper to buy loaded ammo today (much like computers), than to load from all new components (or to build a computer from scratch with all new components).

For me to match Wally World prices for Winchester White Box .45 Auto, I would have to re-use brass and cast my own lead bullets.

Now, if you make custom loads not available at retail, there can be no comparison, for you assembled rounds not available in the commercial market at any price.

For all who shoot, collect and save your brass. Do not leave it on the range, for it has far more residual value than you know. It is o.k. to leave your steel casings behind, unless you want to collect it for scrap value.

Be well.

I think what shortround is saying that even if you don't figure in the cost of the brass it is cheaper to buy new factory ammo that reloading it. Before all of you "Damn the Torpedoes" I am going to reload anyway group, go ballistic I have been reloading for almost 50 years and have thousands invested in equipment. I even have an air-conditioned & heated 12'x14' foot room completely dedicated to reloading, so I am not trying to blast the hobby. The simple fact remains that components have gotten so expensive due to greed that the cost to reload is more expensive than buying off the shelf if you just want to go to the range and shoot.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    The simple fact remains that components have gotten so expensive due to greed that the cost to reload is more expensive than buying off the shelf if you just want to go to the range and shoot.

Sorry, but w/o "going ballistic", I think any number of folks (myself included) have shown that it's simply not correct. I posted my specific costs in an earlier post - tell me what a hundred rounds of my .45 w/4.8 grains of powder costs me....then tell me what WWB costs.

As important (to me, anyways) is the fact that I don't worry about a shortage or them being out of 'em, I get to sit an' enjoy some quiet time cranking out rounds (and at a leisurely pace, I can easily do 4-600 rounds/hr) - and can custom tailor to any load I so desire.

Dragonheart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Katy
    I will say it again I am not trying t blast your hobby, it is one of my hobbies also, but the fact is components are too high in price. Why can a manufacturer sell a finished product that costs less than the cost of the individual parts that it is made of?

So, has anyone actually priced new components and not something you have had on hand for 10 years. Also, how about comparing apples to apples? A 45ACP round with a FMJ bullet not hand cast or a purchased cast bullet.

Off the shelf you get all new materials, a 45ACP round at 0.345 cents per round including 8-1/4% sales tax. You only have to invest the cost of one box of shells if you want to go shooting and your time is what it takes to go to the nearest Wal-Mart.

To put together a 45ACP round it take a brass case at a low of .26 cents each (when you can find them) .04 cents on a primer when bought in large quantities like 5,000, approximately .02 to .03 cents for powder depending on type and a low of .18 for a FMJ bullet, once again bought in quantity. So an apples to apples cost is approximately 0.50 cents per round. Now, as a reloader I can salvage my brass, for a while, and eliminate a big cost. I can choose to shoot lead bullets unless I am shooting a one of my Glocks or other handguns with polygonal rifling. My last purchase price on 230-grain lead bullets was .09 cents each in a 2000 quantity. However the cost of the powder and primer are the same. So my cost to shoot a 45ACP lead round is approximately 0.16 cents each. The reloading cost savings on a 9mm is less. However, I have a large amount of cash out for quantity purchases, not to mention the investment for my equipment. Additionally, I have my time invested even if I accept it as a hobby it means I have less time to do other things I like to do like taking the grand kids to shoot, riding my honda Gold Wing, Scuba Diving, etc., etc.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Okay - obviously, a detailed breakdown of costs - including sources - isn't enough. Done. You win. You're special. You're also on my "ignore" list - one of 3. Congrats.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    I will say it again I am not trying t blast your hobby, it is one of my hobbies also, but the fact is components are too high in price. Why can a manufacturer sell a finished product that costs less than the cost of the individual parts that it is made of?

So, has anyone actually priced new components and not something you have had on hand for 10 years. Also, how about comparing apples to apples? A 45ACP round with a FMJ bullet not hand cast or a purchased cast bullet.

Off the shelf you get all new materials, a 45ACP round at 0.345 cents per round including 8-1/4% sales tax. You only have to invest the cost of one box of shells if you want to go shooting and your time is what it takes to go to the nearest Wal-Mart.

To put together a 45ACP round it take a brass case at a low of .26 cents each (when you can find them) .04 cents on a primer when bought in large quantities like 5,000, approximately .02 to .03 cents for powder depending on type and a low of .18 for a FMJ bullet, once again bought in quantity. So an apples to apples cost is approximately 0.50 cents per round. Now, as a reloader I can salvage my brass, for a while, and eliminate a big cost. I can choose to shoot lead bullets unless I am shooting a one of my Glocks or other handguns with polygonal rifling. My last purchase price on 230-grain lead bullets was .09 cents each in a 2000 quantity. However the cost of the powder and primer are the same. So my cost to shoot a 45ACP lead round is approximately 0.16 cents each. The reloading cost savings on a 9mm is less. However, I have a large amount of cash out for quantity purchases, not to mention the investment for my equipment. Additionally, I have my time invested even if I accept it as a hobby it means I have less time to do other things I like to do like taking the grand kids to shoot, riding my honda Gold Wing, Scuba Diving, etc., etc.

This is a very interesting discussion. I've considered hand loading but have run into the same cost approach laid out by Dragonheart. I would be handloading .45 acp and 9mm primarily, but the initial investment cost along with new brass, FMJ's tend to drive the price per round up to the point where I prefer just to buy the box.

Now, if I already had all the tools needed and had been collecting brass (and knew what I was doing), then those numbers change dramatically.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I think what shortround is saying that even if you don't figure in the cost of the brass it is cheaper to buy new factory ammo that reloading it. Before all of you "Damn the Torpedoes" I am going to reload anyway group, go ballistic I have been reloading for almost 50 years and have thousands invested in equipment. I even have an air-conditioned & heated 12'x14' foot room completely dedicated to reloading, so I am not trying to blast the hobby. The simple fact remains that components have gotten so expensive due to greed that the cost to reload is more expensive than buying off the shelf if you just want to go to the range and shoot.

Thank you Sir: You just said it more eloquently than I ever could.

Be well.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409

Once again, you said it far better than I tried with the exactly the same reasons.

Be well.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Okay - obviously, a detailed breakdown of costs - including sources - isn't enough. Done. You win. You're special. You're also on my "ignore" list - one of 3. Congrats.

Please add me to your "ignore list." I gave a cost break-down many posts ago, and you still challenged my aggregate costs of brass, powder, primers, and projectiles. It is still cheaper for me to buy .45 Auto ammo at Wally World, than to load it from virgin components, and used brass.

It's just like the Democrats fudging their budget numbers, and calling foul when they run smack-dab into reality.

May you be well, Sir.

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    Why don't you all use my spreadsheet from the link in the first post to do some comparisons.

I did do some pricing on .45 ACP with 230 grain fmj, and after some shopping around, using new brass IS more expensive than factory ammo, but if you can reuse that brass 3 times you are saving a tiny bit money. The more times you use the brass the more you are going to save. From what I hear .45 ACP brass lasts nearly forever so 3 times isn't a stretch.

You could buy a couple boxes of loaded ammo and reuse that brass. You could take a chance and get once fired brass for not a whole lot.

With my 9mm breakdowns I don't have to try very hard for there to be some savings. It's only a couple cents less but the savings is there nonetheless.

Ammo for auto-pistols as I can see isn't where huge savings come in. I'll have to check out .223 next but I suspect it's pretty much going to be the same story.

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    After my seed brass to get started. I have never purchased brass every time I go to the range I always some how come back with more brass...

woolleyworm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Cleburne
    Why don't you all use my spreadsheet from the link in the first post to do some comparisons.

I did do some pricing on .45 ACP with 230 grain fmj, and after some shopping around, using new brass IS more expensive than factory ammo, but if you can reuse that brass 3 times you are saving a tiny bit money. The more times you use the brass the more you are going to save. From what I hear .45 ACP brass lasts nearly forever so 3 times isn't a stretch.

You could buy a couple boxes of loaded ammo and reuse that brass. You could take a chance and get once fired brass for not a whole lot.

With my 9mm breakdowns I don't have to try very hard for there to be some savings. It's only a couple cents less but the savings is there nonetheless.

Ammo for auto-pistols as I can see isn't where huge savings come in. I'll have to check out .223 next but I suspect it's pretty much going to be the same story.

I look at it like this ( dollar amounts are hypothetical, not exact )

1000 rounds of factory = $256 1000 rounds of reloads = $255 WhooHOOOO; I save ONE friggin dollar, whats the big deal with everyone telling me to reload????

Here's why: 1000 rounds of ammo after/if SHTF = PRICELESS !!!!! I reload and therefore I will have ammo and the means to make more. Reload now and reload often, the "savings" isn't all about dollars and cents.

btw - Thanks for the great spreadsheet A_K !

drummingchevy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Houston
    I look at it like this ( dollar amounts are hypothetical, not exact )

1000 rounds of factory = $256 1000 rounds of reloads = $255 WhooHOOOO; I save ONE friggin dollar, whats the big deal with everyone telling me to reload????

Here's why: 1000 rounds of ammo after/if SHTF = PRICELESS !!!!! I reload and therefore I will have ammo and the means to make more. Reload now and reload often, the "savings" isn't all about dollars and cents.

btw - Thanks for the great spreadsheet A_K !

This 100%. But I have done some rough math based on my brief reloading history and I am saving money. It will take me roughly 3000 rounds of 9mm to break even. That's factoring in the equipment and the components to get there, minus brass since I've been saving that stuff from the beginning of my shooting days.

woolleyworm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Cleburne
    This 100%. But I have done some rough math based on my brief reloading history and I am saving money. It will take me roughly 3000 rounds of 9mm to break even. That's factoring in the equipment and the components to get there, minus brass since I've been saving that stuff from the beginning of my shooting days.

I save approx 55% off of factory. To get the most savings out of reloading, a reloader must buy in bulk. Buying bullets in quantities of 100 will not save much; buying in at least 1k will; at 5k it gets even better. Group buys are great for added savings also.

Top Bottom