• ...and so much more!
  • Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Ohio (But my heart is in Texas)
    Hey fellas,

I am wanting to dive into the reloading world, especially with the current situations going on. I've reloaded before, but my experience is pretty minimal. Mostly reloaded some .45s over at my cousin's house a time or two. I actually find it to be really relaxing, and obviously a great money saver. I've been saving all the brass I can for a while and have a fair bit. I also have some of the other supplies, but lack a lot of things. So I wanted to ask you guys what your recommendations are for reloading shops? Personally I would prefer somewhere in Austin so I can avoid shipping fees and pick it up myself, but I know that a lot of places don't sell that kind of stuff due to licensing and city restrictions. So I am all ears for any suggestions.

My first and foremost purchase will be the turret and some dies. I am looking mainly for the Lee 4 turret, but I'm not against a 3 turret by any means. And then will be hunting down Carbide dies for all my calibers.

Thanks for any suggestions you have. They are much appreciated.

j

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    And much cheaper. Order bulk, precision delta and powder valley are great places to start. PD gives free shipping on bullet orders in multiples of 2000.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    The reloading store in my area is completely sold out of any reloading components that deal with the AR. Most of the on-line places I shop with are short on components too, or have sold out. I placed an order with Midsouth Shooter's Supply two weeks ago for 2,000 Sierra MatchKing .52 gr. BTHP bullets. They are on back order until early February. Midway USA had a back order longer than that. If you find what you want, order a large quantity. An example. Two years ago at Christmas, Cabela's had their Oregon Trail Laser Cast 230 gr. lead semi-wadcutter bullets on sale. They were $30 for a box of 500. I bought 16 boxes (8,000 total). Today boxes of 500 sell for around $60 each. Powder Valley and Precision Delta are both good places to order from. I bought 16 lbs. of Winchester 748 from Powder Valley some time back. Even with shipping and the haz mat fee, the powder was much cheaper than any place locally.

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    Go with a 4 hole setup. Seating and Crimping in the same station is PITA. What caliber do you plan to load for? I might sell in Lee Classic 4 hole turret and have dies for 9mm, 38/357, and 45acp.

Check out the videos on YouTube there is a lot of information to be gleaned from them.

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Go with a 4 hole setup. Seating and Crimping in the same station is PITA. What caliber do you plan to load for? I might sell in Lee Classic 4 hole turret and have dies for 9mm, 38/357, and 45acp.

Check out the videos on YouTube there is a lot of information to be gleaned from them.

I have a whole slew of things I am looking to load, but 9, 38 Special, and .45 would be some of them. I'll check out some of the Youtube videos. I've bookmarked a few I plan to watch here soon.

Thanks.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    I usually get my powder and primers at Ten Ring in Houston, but good luck getting ANYTHING from them right now. They post FB messages when the truck gets there and then another FB message an hour later to let everyone know they're sold out of everything. That's how they roll since all this gun control BS. As if it wasn't busy before. I can't afford to buy in bulk, so I get 1lb of Titegroup for about $21, the primers are like $37 for 1000. If anyone thinks I"m overpaying and has a logical way for me to save $$$ on my stuff, please let me know. I am always too busy when the gun shows roll around, I never make it to them, and won't pay a $27 hazmat fee for powder online (I haven't found prices much cheaper to be perfectly honest). Precision Delta has my 9mm FMJ's in stock, I was surprised. Should be getting them any day now.

darstcreek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    katy Tx
    I went to bass pro saturday and found 30 cal (bullets only)shelves not full but they had powder bullets (didnt look for primers ) had a but load of dies !

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    BTW I just found this place for people in the Cedar Park/Roundrock areas - Whitestone Castle Armory - Local place. They won't ship anymore, and their website is not up to date so you need to email them for the most current inventory. They didn't have much in the way of primers/powders, but had a shipment coming in later this week with some more. He said he would set things aside for me and let me know when it comes in. He is limiting purchases though. $34.95 a box of 1,000 is pretty much the price across the board.

dashmatrix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Spicewood, Tx
    With what's going on right now, I would highly recommend you wait. Just keep shooting store bought ammo, and save your brass. Wait till this lunacy is past (about 6 months) then get into it. You aren't going to save much money period. You'll just end up shooting more. Don't get into reloading to 'save money'. You are going to spend WAY too much on components right now.
    So getting into reloading has a steep initial ramp up for equipment. It's one of those things where you're going to make 20 trips to the store for stuff you didn't think you'd need to get you setup. With the way stiff is right now nobody has anything. I mean you're going to wait like 3-4 weeks for stupid crap, like OAL gauges or the carbide dies you REALLY want. You'll end up paying double to some hoarder off gunbroker cause you're impatient, settle for something available that you really didn't want, or just plain go without. It's not a good time to get into it. You won't find the stuff easier than you'll find complete ammo, and you won't save money, and you won't be happy with it.
    Nobody is going to outlaw ammo, just let it all blow over.

dashmatrix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Spicewood, Tx
    If you need some evidence of lunacy here's one that makes me want to puke on someone's face....

16# HODGDON VARGET RIFLE POWDER NIB 2-8LB KEGS : Reloading Supplies at GunBroker.com

$768 for 2 8# cans of Varget. Thats 384$ a piece for what ought to be a 150$ can of powder. God bless capitalism but curse profiteering in the wake of little kids dying. He even has the gall to add 3% extra for credit card and charge the HAZMAT fee...

That's about all you're going to get right now. PowderValley is on a 24 day order processing backlog, Sinclair won't even accept backorders on the popular stuff, and the good reloaders are all backlogged too.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom