• ...and so much more!
  • TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    If you need some evidence of lunacy here's one that makes me want to puke on someone's face....

16# HODGDON VARGET RIFLE POWDER NIB 2-8LB KEGS : Reloading Supplies at GunBroker.com

$768 for 2 8# cans of Varget. Thats 384$ a piece for what ought to be a 150$ can of powder. God bless capitalism but curse profiteering in the wake of little kids dying. He even has the gall to add 3% extra for credit card and charge the HAZMAT fee...

That's about all you're going to get right now. PowderValley is on a 24 day order processing backlog, Sinclair won't even accept backorders on the popular stuff, and the good reloaders are all backlogged too.

Check this one out. Note the price on the .223 dies:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359004005.368313.jpg
    Gun Zone Deals

gdouthit

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    BCS
    Wow. It's amazing how much people will rip others off. And some poor idiot will probably buy them....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Ohio (But my heart is in Texas)
    Ugh. I hate the gouging. Yeah yeah I know, free market, and that's fine, but it does suck for the consumers.

Anyway, I got most of everything I need I think. The rest should be here tomorrow. Have a fair few primers now. Just need some powder (which I hope to pick up at Saxet this weekend), and my .223 and .308 dies and I'll be all set.

dashmatrix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    Spicewood, Tx
    luckily I geared up RIGHT before the SHTF with a Dillon Precision XL650 for .308. I like how they sell their setups with the dies for whatever caliber you intend to load from the factory.
    Just wish I'd stocked up on HPBT's and Varget and primers. I got a nice reloading setup that I haven't been able to test/setup/use until the world settles down.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I visited the website for Powder Valley, Inc. this morning. When the site first opens there is a large disclaimer stating that orders placed today will be processed after Feb. 23rd. They are currently processing orders placed on Jan. 4th. It didn't make much difference to me, since they were out of everything I reload with. One good sign was their prices didn't seem to be too far from normal.

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Ugh. I hate the gouging. Yeah yeah I know, free market, and that's fine, but it does suck for the consumers.

Anyway, I got most of everything I need I think. The rest should be here tomorrow. Have a fair few primers now. Just need some powder (which I hope to pick up at Saxet this weekend), and my .223 and .308 dies and I'll be all set.

I went to Whitestone Castle Armory - The problem is their inventory on their site is not accurate, so you have to email to see what they have. ALso they don't ship anymore, so you have to pick them up. It's just a 15 minute drive for me over in Round Rock so it works out, but not sure how far you'd want to drive for it. They are a little pricier (I think $32 or $34) but since I pick them up there's no shipping/hazmat fees. Nice guy runs the place, though. If you are in the North Austin area, my experience lands him a thumbs up.

Got the rest of my equipment in the mail today! Just need the powder now (which I hope Saxet will have) and I can begin!

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    so I found some Varget for 205$ for an 8# unopened can. That doesn't seem outrageously crazy does it ?

Probably good, since 8 lbs of Win 748 cost me $148 in 2007.

Problem today is powder is no good unless you have brass, projectiles, and PRIMERS.

Buy that powder if it is still available.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I need some Rem small rifle bench rest primers if anyone has some to part with.

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    I bought some HP38 over the weekend. I'm told HS6 is better, but I dunno yet. HP38 was all that I saw at the show that I knew would work with my calibers so I got it just to be safe (so I had something). It's weird that it's identical grain for grain as Win231. Anyone know if this is just measurements or are they virtually the same thing?

I've been recommended Varget by a friend of mine for my .223 and .308. Hoping that a shipment will be coming in here soon from my supplier.

A while ago I had an NC Star 3x9 I traded to my cousin. In return he gave me 3,000 Primers (SP, LP, and SR), 500+ .380 brass, 500+ .223 brass, and some cases to hold the reloaded rounds. I think I got the good end of that deal :)

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I need some Rem small rifle bench rest primers if anyone has some to part with.

I've got 800, when I get the spp I've ordered, I'll sell the benchrest primers. Till, then I'm hanging on to them, just in case.

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    I bought some HP38 over the weekend. I'm told HS6 is better, but I dunno yet. HP38 was all that I saw at the show that I knew would work with my calibers so I got it just to be safe (so I had something). It's weird that it's identical grain for grain as Win231. Anyone know if this is just measurements or are they virtually the same thing?

I've been recommended Varget by a friend of mine for my .223 and .308. Hoping that a shipment will be coming in here soon from my supplier.

A while ago I had an NC Star 3x9 I traded to my cousin. In return he gave me 3,000 Primers (SP, LP, and SR), 500+ .380 brass, 500+ .223 brass, and some cases to hold the reloaded rounds. I think I got the good end of that deal :)

HP38 & Win231 are now the same powder: ""W231 is a smokeless powder manufactured by the Hodgdon Powder Company and marketed under the Winchester trade name.Hodgdon licensed the Winchester brand in january 2006,assuming all manufacturing and suport responsibilities.Prior to this Winchester brand powders were manufactured by the Olin Corporation.""

I use W231 for my 9mm and 45acp loads. So far with a 115gr 9mm and 230gr 45 (both plated round nose) 4.7 grains is a consistent and accurate load for my glock 19/21/26.

Man you sure as hell got the long end of the stick! Good job on the trade.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The guys told you the truth. The reality of the situation is that you missed the wave. I was doing what you are doing last year at this time because I knew the volatility of our political scene would start another stampede. Be aware, though these things go in cycles so stash some money away NOW and when things open back up, you'll be prepared to buy in bulk as the members suggested.

You've heard the money saving arguments favoring reloading. That is always countered with the fact that you shoot MORE so you don't really save much. A third factor in favor of reloading is that it insulates you from these political upheavals.

I am retired and I've lived the kind of adventurous life where I got almost every dream fulfilled. I traveled, moved from place to place, went SCUBA diving and traveled doing that, made motorcycle trips all over the nation so I've been there and done that. I just wanted to tinker with rifles, pistols and shotguns, shooting, reloading, working up loads and experimenting during retirement. When the bottom drops out of the market, they shut my retirement plans off and I'm not about to take up knitting! That's the major reason that I reload. Did you ever think that we'd see 22LR ammo completely gone? Buying some of that last year was a great plan!

There are some things that you can and should do. Get your press and dies all set up. There is a lot of crap needed to reload properly so you can get started on setting that up. I spent the entire year of 2012 redesigning and outfitting my reloading gear. It took a whole year to get it the way I wanted it. I cleaned out the back bedroom and put in a little "Tinker Shop" where I can do small (and clean) projects like mounting scopes and can reload in climate controlled comfort. The floor is 100% tile so it's very easy to keep clean. In this time period where components are hard to find, you can still get your gear set up. When things get back to normal, you'll be ready to go!

We are all here to advise or assist. Good luck!

Flash

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    I'm pretty much set up. Just need a couple more dies, and some more powder and bullets. Other than that I am squared away for probably a good long while. I managed to snag some good prices on things that happened to be in stock. I definitely feel like I lucked out as I imagine if things don't calm down here soon you will see the same kind of panic buying happening on all types of reloading equipment (not just the primers and bullets).

I'm looking forward to actually sitting down and pumping some of these out. :)

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rod99
    Top Bottom