• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HCS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2020
    Llano, TX
    It's a terrible time to get into reloading. Everything is scarce or horribly over priced. If you don't already have primers, I wouldn't even bother. Maybe get a lee reloading manual for some good reading material. Eventually the overseas primers will drop like a sledgehammer and things will normalize a bit.

If you're dead set on starting, think of the caliber you intend to load for and your favorite factory load in that gun. Then buy those types of bullets and some dies. You could get a small jump on reloading just by decapping/sizing some brass. Maybe tumble some too. Afterwards at least you'll have some processed brass.

That's especially useful if you are planning on loading precision rifle rounds. Sizing, trimming to length and chamfer/deburring can be very time consuming.

still a good time to get the manual and start reading it, to me, one of the most important parts of learning to reload, is understanding the components and how the work together (interior ballistics) in order to make proper decisions on selections of powder/primer/bullet combinations, etc....
    by gathering equipment now, starting with the press, a heavy, stable bench can be built and begin case preparation, while gathering components as they come available at reasonable prices (also reading the equipment instructions manuals for proper set up, operation & adjustments, like die adjustment, scale calibration, etc...)

the component shortage will most likely end in the next several months and then it's time to stock up and start loading

and there is always people on this and other forums to help with any assistance needed as you get started
    Military Camp

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have loaded with a Lee press since 1990. Started off with the old standard single press. Now using a 4 hole turret which suits my needs well. I think you can buy a kit that comes with a set of dies and other stuff for around $200.

I like it because you mount your dies to a die plate, and so you can leave the adjusted dies intact on the die plate. I ordered some of the round Lee die boxes, and the dies w shell plate sit in there nicely.

You can also insert a case and then rotate the die plate around and perform a complete load on that case. From powder drop to bullet seat to bullet crimp. Very handy.

I have a Hornady powder dispenser that I use for loading more than 10 cases.

I haven't bought any components other than bullets in over a year. There was a time when you could find some stuff on sale and I bought some stuff at estate sales too.

GP40X

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    League City, TX
    I got a Taurus .357 magnum SS snub nosed revolver and couldn't find any 38 special or .357 magnum ammo at all after I got it (except for scalpers at gun shows). I used to use a Lee Loader when I was a kid so I found one for 38 Special at a LGS and have been on a component quest every since. I have loaded up on bullets (700 125 gr XTP and a 500 piece box of 125 gr placed bullets form X-Treme bought through Cabela's), new cartridge cases (400), & powder (2 lbs) to start reloading but I have only been able to 600 primers (400 CCI SPP and 200 Federal match SP primers). I also have 100 CCI Magnum SP primers I could us in a pinch but was saving those for when I pick up some .357 brass (and a bigger .357 revolver or rifle). I live iun an apartment so a loading bench is out. I have loaded about 100 rounds so far and wil;l; be transitioning to a Lee Hand press soon as my hammering woke up my wife during the last reloading session. Brass cleaning will be done wiht Dawn and Lemishine and an old tea jug with "manual" agitation to clean my brass. For powder handling I have a Hornady trickler and an off brand electronic scale that will read in grains. I alredy had a good set of digital calipers and the only thing I will need to maybe pick up is a case trimmer (all I plan is reloading 38 Special, .357 Magnum and maybe 9mm once the die prices come down). It's called reloading on a budget and this is out of necessity becaus eI can't find 38 Special at a decent price. YMMV

HCS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2020
    Llano, TX
    I got a Taurus .357 magnum SS snub nosed revolver and couldn't find any 38 special or .357 magnum ammo at all after I got it (except for scalpers at gun shows). I used to use a Lee Loader when I was a kid so I found one for 38 Special at a LGS and have been on a component quest every since. I have loaded up on bullets (700 125 gr XTP and a 500 piece box of 125 gr placed bullets form X-Treme bought through Cabela's), new cartridge cases (400), & powder (2 lbs) to start reloading but I have only been able to 600 primers (400 CCI SPP and 200 Federal match SP primers). I also have 100 CCI Magnum SP primers I could us in a pinch but was saving those for when I pick up some .357 brass (and a bigger .357 revolver or rifle). I live iun an apartment so a loading bench is out. I have loaded about 100 rounds so far and wil;l; be transitioning to a Lee Hand press soon as my hammering woke up my wife during the last reloading session. Brass cleaning will be done wiht Dawn and Lemishine and an old tea jug with "manual" agitation to clean my brass. For powder handling I have a Hornady trickler and an off brand electronic scale that will read in grains. I alredy had a good set of digital calipers and the only thing I will need to maybe pick up is a case trimmer (all I plan is reloading 38 Special, .357 Magnum and maybe 9mm once the die prices come down). It's called reloading on a budget and this is out of necessity becaus eI can't find 38 Special at a decent price. YMMV

I started with a one of the Lee Loaders & a hammer when I was in high school loading .38's, my Mom & Dad were very thankful when I saved enough money and bought an RCBS press and quit using the lee loading tool & hammer ( I probably still have that old Lee Loading Tool somewhere in the garage

I paid less than 10.00 for it in the '70's

combined with cast bullets, it made for a lot of inexpensive shooting in those days

I still shoot a lot of cast bullets, but now you haver to order them 3-4 months in advance, I have just recently received orders that I placed back in Sept & Oct of 2020

the Lee loading below is not mine, but it sure brought back some very old memories

1611958872270.png

Top Bottom