• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    Getting a bolt-action rifle to hunt elk, black bear, white-tail, mulies, pigs, etc in primarily Texas and Colorado. Will get either .30-06 or .308.

I am having trouble deciding on a rifle. Should I get a Remington 700 ADL or a Ruger American? Both are the same price($379.99) at the Academy in Midland.

*how to I put a poll in my thread?*

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've heard good things about the Ruger American, it seems anyone that's bought one likes it. Of course, it's hard to go wrong with a 700 action, I really like mine.

Tough decision, although I will say that the Ruger is a much more modern design with it's unique bedding system, 3-lug bolt and an end-user adjustable trigger. There will not be as much aftermarket support for the Ruger, so you'll have what you have with limited upgrades down the road. The 700 is great because if you can think it, you can probably do it on a 700. Anything from stocks to scope mounts to triggers, you can do it all.

I could probably ramble for a while about the 700, but I'm fairly biased as a true fan. I've customized one for hunting and it's exactly what I want in a .243. Really, it depends on what you're plans are if any. I think the Ruger may be a better out-of-the-box rifle with some of it's nifty features, but the 700 would be better suited for a tinkerer.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Does the ruger use the ruger rings?

I have a ruger markII. It gets the job done. the hawkeye compacts always looked to be a very nice rifle in a small package. Lot more $$ though.

Only real accessories you need are scope, rings, and a sling.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I've owned Ruger and Remington, so you probably can't go wrong either way. My preference would be the Ruger. I had lots of problems with a 700 BDL years ago and I've also noted that Remington has moved a lot of their production overseas.

I watched a "Myth Busters" show (or something like it) a while back and they were trying to blow up a rifle by overloading the cartridge. Unfortunately for them, they used a Ruger rifle and it wouldn't explode. They did, eventually, make it really difficult to move the bolt.

.30-06 or .308 are both good choices. .30 caliber bullets do a great job down range and both of these cartridges have plenty of power without the magnum recoil.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Things to think about on both rifles:

VALUE:
    Which one has a good resale value?
    Warranty?
    Replacement parts?
    Aftermarket parts?

Handling:
    Balance?
    Stock fit?
    Weight?

Quality:
    Where's it made?
    Finish?
    Rifling?
    Smoothness of action?
    Trigger?
    Muzzle crown?
    Stock fit to action?
    Bolt face & bolt lugs machining?
    The finish of the small screws?(if they make sure to have finely finished screws, you can expect that attention to detail carried throughout the rifle)

When you look at both rifles for quality, don't think of this one is a Remmy, this one is a Ruger. Think of both as "ACME". Made by the same people. Which one did "ACME" do a better job on?

Also look at Weatherby, Savage, and Browning. They also have budget models. You can have synthetic stocked Browning A-bolt for around $499. Weatherby the same price range. Both Weatherby and browning blow both Ruger and Remmy out the water on quality of fit and finish.

Texas Solo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    Hands down, the Savage is the best out of the box rifle. Free floated, accutrigger, and lots of the aforementioned aftermarket goodies.

Academy has the model 111 (long action...30.06, .270, etc) and the short action model 11 (.243, .308, etc) as a factory package with Nikon scope for $499.
    By the time you add a decent scope, base and rings to the Rem700, it still isn't free floated and their new X-Mark trigger still won't be as nice as a Savage Accutrigger. You really should check it out too.

darman91RAR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2013
    Hands down, the Savage is the best out of the box rifle. Free floated, accutrigger, and lots of the aforementioned aftermarket goodies.

Academy has the model 111 (long action...30.06, .270, etc) and the short action model 11 (.243, .308, etc) as a factory package with Nikon scope for $499.
    By the time you add a decent scope, base and rings to the Rem700, it still isn't free floated and their new X-Mark trigger still won't be as nice as a Savage Accutrigger. You really should check it out too.
    The American has a free floated barrel (do the dollar test) and an adjustable trigger (3-5 pounds). Scope rings are $20.

Top Bottom