• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Downhill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2017
    Baird Texas
    I was in the gun room fiddling around and had an idea. Chambered an empty 6br case into my 788 in 243. Cycled the bolt back and ejection was "vigourous". Loaded 3 empties in the mag and cycling was flawless. Got the 788 in 22-250 out and a 6br loaded long with a 105 amax fit with room to spare. The question is would it be worthwhile to re barrel to 6br? Barrel cost and machine work will probably exceed the 788 ' s value. But I sure do love the 6BR.
    Venture Surplus ad

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    How many rounds do you have thru the 22-250? Never shot one but I recall they are barrel burners. You may want to wait till your barrel wares out and group size opens up to an unacceptable size. Unacceptable Is determined by you. Might be 1.5-2 MOA. Back in the day folks would swap a shot out barrel to keep their gun running. Usually that was a significant upgrade. I.e. Put a $400 barrel on a $500 rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Downhill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2017
    Baird Texas
    Round count is unknown as I got it used. Fired 35 rds in load development and the best group was right at 1.375" at 100yds. Alright for a hunting rifle but I have a 6br on a Rem 700 with a remage 8 twist that will hold .265" at 100. The average group size of all loads tried was 1.84" with the 22-250 and I know that cartridge is capable of much better. Probably look for a deal on a 6mm barrel or maybe a Savage model 12 6BR barrel.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom