• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    The Roundhill Group lawyers did this. So very sad and the then Governor Cuomo same guy who sent Covid infected people to nursing homes signed legislations making Firearms manufacturers liable for deaths from their products.

Yeah, a law that somehow nullifies federal law. Neat trick.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    That's a shame big old company and buildings going to the wayside. My heart goes out to the people still working there.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    During those miserable years I worked in Central NY, quite a few of the old machinists from Remington were members of the gun club with me. (They didn't have public ranges, so you had to join a club. The one I joined had a big piece of property and some really great members.) Some of them made their own muzzleloaders - all from scratch like they did 200 years ago. It was amazing how accurate they were.

I went to the factory museum once. Had some really cool guns there. George Custer was a loyal customer (not a ringing endorsement after the massacre.)

The state of NY is run by the people who occupy the Hudson River Valley, which is to say Albany and the greater New York City area. They suck in all the rest of the state's tax money to cover their leftist policies. At the same time, they do everything in their power to discourage and destroy all manufacturing business in the state.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The Union f'd that plant. Plain and simple.
    While I'm about as anti-union as it gets, it wasn't the union alone that screwed that place. Remington made a lot of very bad business decisions and the state of NY is rapidly driving every industry out of the state. I worked there for a few miserable years and I was doing consulting for a number of companies. I remember a small plant that a guy started so that his sons would have a business to inherit. He had tears in his eyes when discussing how the state was crushing his business. He said he would have been better off to give his sons a couple of McDonald's franchises. Huge plants that once covered many acres are now down to a single building.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I worked extensively with the Remington plant in Ilion. Sure, NY state is anti-business, but that doesn’t excuse the line in the sand the local Union drew when Remmy was once again on its last leg. It was reminiscent of a PEG squeezing every last drop of blood out of a dying company. They squoze themselves right onto the unemployment line.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    559aeba813210ffb0cf2be423c0797fd.gif

Remington Union business model in action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Vaguely remember reading something at least 10+ years ago about the Illion plant was on life support due to environmental contamination.
    It would be a SuperFund site it was so bad.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    It was a massive structure. Five or six stories tall with two basements in places and sat literally on one full city block. The most inefficient manufacturing processes I've ever witnessed. They hammer forged their barrels though. Had two hammer forges. One was down when I was there and the Ops VP (close friend so nobody MF the guy please) advised they were going to get it running again. Never happened. Both were over 100 years old. My bud couldn't lean the place up because the machinery was so old if you moved it, it'd never be right again. It was a 50 year ramp-down for sure. First barrel forged there in 1816. What a shame. It's closing its doors for good next month.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    The town of Ilion will become a ghost town. Drive through a lot of towns that went to shit when the number one place of employment went away. Look at Gloversville when the tanneries had to shutdown. Glove making went overseas.

Top Bottom