• ...and so much more!
  • outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    Hello,

I find myself being indecisive about a couple of this things with this rifle.

First off I am looking to sell the rifle and try to consolidate to bolt in .308. The rifle is a 1977 Remington model 700 25-06. The wood stock is in great shape and has been bedded and the barrel floated. A real tack driver. My question is should I repair the finish on the magazine plate? It has some minor wear in the finish just on the plate. The rest of the gun is in excellent shape. I have purchased some Alumahyde to match the original finish. If so are there any tips to help aid in the refinish part. Can I bake the mag plate assembly in the oven to accelerate the curing time?

Second is trying to find a price for this gun. I have been doing research and the prices are all over the place from 300 to 1400. The gun has a older Leopold 3X9 scope that is nice and clear. I am not sure about the rings and base since the scope came mounted on the gun. I am not sure how to identify the barrel to verify if it is a varmint barrel or standard etc.

Should I just let it alone because of its age or refinish the mag plate and would it matter in the resale value?

Here are some pictures.

View attachment 6550 View attachment 6551 View attachment 6552

Thanks,
    Guns International

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    1400? Doubt that. More along the $350 + something for the scope range. 25-'06 is a great cartridge, but not a particularly popular one. (Everybody seems to think you need a 50 cal. to plink squirrels these days.) The bedding makes it attractive to a purchaser, but won't necessarily bring much money. The BDL has a very pretty stock, and that does attract buyers.

As for refinishing the floor plate, unless it is professionally done, it won't add to the value of the gun. My honest opinion would be to sell it as-is.

Top Bottom