• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    San Leon Texas
    Howdy all,

Thought that I would drop a few lines about my first impression of my most recent addition to the gun rack.

Here's some of the spec's put out by Remington:
    Weight: 7.75 Seems more after awhile.
    Barrel Length: 20" w/1-10" twist
    Stock: Synthetic
    Mag capacity: 4 rounds. Wished they had put at least two of them in there, but then I'd have wished for 20 rounds if they had. The good thing, the actual manufactorer is DPMS so you can buy their mags.
    Mossy Oak Treestand Finish. Seems a bit thick to me, but then it should last for a while.

So I was finally able to get out to the range this past Sunday with my brother and tried to get the R25 with Leupold 3x9x40mm scoped in. I should have paid to get it bore sighted as my shoulder eventually paid the price that would have hurt the wallet less.

Yes, I believed someone's review when they said it had a light recoil. Now granted, I did put over 30 rounds downrange, but, it still ended up making me say, okay... I'm done.

I fired two different types of 150gr soft point ammo trying to find something that would be affordable and yet retain some accuracy. I tried Monarch (Academy cheap s..tuff) and Federal (Wal-Mart cheap stuff) and it seems the gun had no problem with either. I also had some Winchester, but the shoulder gave out before I could try it out. I will say, that I'd suggest if you ever are in Academy and see the Monarch ammo on the shelf, leave it there. I had several primer burn throughs.

I'll head back out this next Sunday, if possible, and try the Winchester and some Remington I picked up, and see what their results will be. I still have some fine tuning with scoping it in to do yet, but, I'm thinking the R25 will be as accurate as I've read, and my younger brother feels that it will definately give his bolt action .308 a run for it's money.

I have purchased a bi-pod for it, as I likes my morning coffee, and I really need to have a more stable platform.

Anway, hope this has helped at least somewhat. I'll post again next week with a possible conclusion.
    Texas SOT

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Magpul polymer 20 round mags work well in the R-25 and are much less expensive than the DPMS mags.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    I have several of the C Products mags that I use with my DPMS LR 308 AP4 and I have not had any issues. They are actually cheaper than the Magpul mags and are stainless steel.

C Products Store

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    About the boresighting, Academy does that for free. Next time you get another rifle just ask them and they can do it as long as they aren't overwhelmed.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I would clean the rifle now that you've ran some rounds through it. As far as the gun beating you up, make sure you are getting the buttstock in the meat of your body, not on the bone. The 150 grain loads don't have much pop to them, not nearly as much as the heavier 168 - 180 grain bullets.

The gun with the optics is probably closer to 9 lbs. which is why it feels heavy. Weight takes out recoil and helps counteract the coffee, so toss a bipod on there and it'll add weight and also take some of the recoil out.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    Also about bore sighting. most places I found only have the low to med bore sight kit. If you have high or extra high rings you are better off just putting rounds on paper. I have extra high rings on my DPMS.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Also about bore sighting. most places I found only have the low to med bore sight kit. If you have high or extra high rings you are better off just putting rounds on paper. I have extra high rings on my DPMS.

Yep, if you have mounted the scope relatively low and the barrel is at least 20" you can bore sight it. The 16" carbines are pointless to bore sight.

Vance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    San Leon Texas
    Thanks for all the input guys.

As for the beating me up, I have always had the less than ideal shoulder bulk which I attribute to most problems when shooting. :)

I'll have to look into those mags for sure, definately the next purchase.

I had to use the 1/2 inch risers from my M4, the red dot doesn't need them so that I could get the scope up a bit and off the rail. And in truth, even with the beating, it was fun which is what this hobby is all about right? :)

I did also leave out one little complaint about the R25. It seems that it takes the trigger about a mile and a half of travel before you actually get to where it will fire. I'll probably look into another trigger system eventually, but first I will need to get all these new expenditures paid off.

Thanks for all the great advice guys. Now all I have to do is start eating my Wheaties. :)

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Try some Hornady A-max if you want to see what that thing will really do. Heavier weights like 168 grain will usually be better. ;)

My friend's DPMS .308 will shoot sub-2" groups at 300 yards all day long with that. Trigger needs improving, though. I think we can get those groups down with a match trigger.

Top Bottom