• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    I just found out that my renters insurance only covers up to 500 in guns. If I wanted to cover all my weapons, which amounts to a lot more than 500 I would have to take out a separate independent policy on them. Does anyone else have that issue or does your renters/home owners insurance cover all your weapons within your policy?
    ARJ Defense ad

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Almost all policies require a seperate rider for guns above a certain set amount, which varies from company to company. Nothing new, insurance companies don't like paying out on guns.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Down through the years I've found that a separate policy, or rider, removes most of the fine print exclusions/gotcha's in relying on a homeowners/renters policy to insure any valuable items like guns.

Personally, have USAA's "Valuable Personal Property" insurance that specifically covers firearms, with a "replacement cost" provision, NOT "actual cash value"; the latter being subject to depreciation.

What looks good on paper/price is not always what plays out when an item is lost or stolen.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    My renters insurance is through USAA, and like karlac, I have that secondary personal property policy with replacement cost. It is fairly inexpensive and covers a whole lot more than just $500.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    I will have to work up a quote with my insurance company to see how much replacement cost policy would be. Everything in my home is replacement cost not cash value I just didn't know that I needed a separate policy for firearms.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Yep. I had to get a rider with "scheduled" items - guns with descriptions/pics/SN's, jewelry etc. NRA membership has a minimal amount ($2500 IIRC) that you can add onto.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I will have to work up a quote with my insurance company to see how much replacement cost policy would be. Everything in my home is replacement cost not cash value I just didn't know that I needed a separate policy for firearms.

The NRA also offers insurance as well as some other companies who offer firearm specific policies out there.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    I will look into it later, I am getting ready to run some errands. I will also have to look into NRA I am already a member and check out their quotes.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I'm yet another USAA customer that has my firearms fully covered. If you haven't I would recommend switching to them just for the customer service nevertheless their excellent insurance products.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    It depends on the company. My renters insurance had no limits on firearms or jewelry up to the policy limit. My homeowners insurance has a $500 limit on both.

The NRA has some insurance policies available also.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Sometimes firearm-related items (ammo, accessories, gear, parts) will fall under the firearm category as well.

Some companies you just pay a fixed amount for the dollar value you want. Other companies want specific make/model/serial info.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Just curious for those that have a policy that requires (makes, models and numbers) if it has to be updated everytime you buy or sell a new firearm. Seems like a pita if you are like me and trade frequently.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Just curious for those that have a policy that requires (makes, models and numbers) if it has to be updated everytime you buy or sell a new firearm. Seems like a pita if you are like me and trade frequently.

The one's I seen when shopping around didn't require an itemized list unless a particular item was over a set amount. For my policy it was $2500.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    My renters insurance has $75k firearms coverage that I purchased with it. That total policy cost me like $400 for the year. Cheap peace of mind. I went over the policy in depth with my agent to make sure there weren't any gotchas in addition to an extensive paper trail which clearly lists my intent for obtaining coverage and what I expected it to cover.

Top Bottom