• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Is it possible to Rethread a rethreading 0.30 cal barrel that is threaded for 5/8"-24 to 1/2"-28?
    Given that it will handle the pressure is there enough meat to turn off the threads and recut the new finer threads?
    Thanks.
    Lynx Defense

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    This is like a trick question. But to answer it, yes you can thread a .30 barrel to 1/2X28. Yes it will handle the pressure (of threading?). Is it a good idea, not really. Too many item made for the .22 barrels fit that thread. This could be a disaster waiting to happen.

What is it that has 1/2" threads that you want to attach to a .30 barrel?

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    Not a trick question, turn barrel down to a .495 od. Then thread like normal. The only Problem is your wall thickness will a little less than .100, if you plan on putting a muzzle device on you will get back most of the strength you lost.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Just about everything AR related is 1/2x28 including my 5.56, 9mm can and all my ARs. It's simple enough not to screw my 5.56 can on my 9mm AR upper so I plan to rebarrel one of the ARs to 300 BLK and it would be simple enough to have the can re-baffled and the barrel threaded at the same time. I can still use that can on my 5.56 guns granted with greater volume but its a supersonic round anyway. When I want to be quiet I shoot subsonic.

Top Bottom