Join TexasGunTalk

Reunited finally - Holster and Coonan

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by Coonan357, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Coonan357

Coonan357 Member

Nov 29, 2013
    The Panhandle of Texas
    I went to Bobby McNellis at El Paso Saddlery to have these made for me when I needed a competition rig back in 1986. Bobby and I met at the newly forming action matches being held at the Ft. Bliss Rod and Gun Club back in the mid-80's. While not a close friend, he was a good friend and I was saddened to hear of his passing. I used the leather in the first ever Smith and Wesson Masters competition. I placed fifth in the Sportsman category, but not due in any part to my speed shooting skills :) I wasn't certain that I'd ever see the leather again after leaving Florida seven years ago.

Bobby used my Coonan to make the blocking gun so that the holster could be formed. I recently contacted El Paso Saddlery and they still have the original blocking gun. I really like the looks of their 1930 Austin and plan to order one with belt and magazine holders done in basket weave soon.

Ahhhh, good times, good memories

Rest in Peace Bobby.

Coonan Model B El Paso Saddlery competition holster.jpg Coonan Model B El Paso Saddlery Magazine Holders.jpg

2. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Nice work. Nice looks too.

from an idgit coffeeholic

3. Mexican_Hippie

Mexican_Hippie MODERATOR TGT Supporter

Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    That's a nice setup. I've had some holsters from them and they've always been high quality.

How do you like that Coonan?

4. Coonan357

Coonan357 Member

Nov 29, 2013
    The Panhandle of Texas
    Of all my worldly posessions, the Coonan has stayed with me for thirty years. It is accurate (more accurate than i am capable of), singularly good looking, simple to clean, very comfortable in my medium/small hands, has a wonderful trigger, and brings people back for a second look "at that 'just another run of the mill stainless .45' " when they hear those .357 rounds leaving the barrel.
    It is just a lot of fun.
    The Desert Eagle and the Grizzly Win Mag were considered, but the Coonan was my choice because it fit my hands so well and just looked so damned good.
    Yep, I'm nicely pleased with it. Can you tell :)