Hurley's Gold

reverse mounted rear sight on old lever gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    was watching a review on an old winchester and noticed the rear sight is fwd of the rear dovetail.
    anyone seen this before? i’d think the shooter would benefit from the longest possible sight radius.

A8CD83FB-AAB2-4C42-B9BB-D60D5BB8F318.jpeg
    Capitol Armory ad

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    It may work for what the guy shooting the rifle is doing. Perhaps it is "short range" where all that really needs to be done is a focus on the front sight.

If one wants to increase the sight radius, a tang mounted peep is tough to top.

Last edited:

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    People who don't know a whole lot about guns do weird stuff to guns. Reversing the rear sight isn't that surprising.

I had to fix up a Winchester 1906, and the entirety of the bolt was held together by random scrap metal and various machine and wood screws, and someone decided to file/grind off the locking tab on the firing pin, so the action tries to open when your fire it.

I could fill a book with all the other shit I've seen.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    People who don't know a whole lot about guns do weird stuff to guns. Reversing the rear sight isn't that surprising.

I had to fix up a Winchester 1906, and the entirety of the bolt was held together by random scrap metal and various machine and wood screws, and someone decided to file/grind off the locking tab on the firing pin, so the action tries to open when your fire it.

I could fill a book with all the other shit I've seen.
    How about all the times people, including "Gunsmiths", that have drilled stocks to install sling swivels, instead of using the pre drilled and plugged place for it?

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    How about all the times people, including "Gunsmiths", that have drilled stocks to install sling swivels, instead of using the pre drilled and plugged place for it?
    If you're talking about the marlin "bullseye", that's not a sling swivel spot.

I don't think I've seen many other rifles with an obvious plug for a swivel

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    If you're talking about the marlin "bullseye", that's not a sling swivel spot.

I don't think I've seen many other rifles with an obvious plug for a swivel
    That is where I always have put them. They are the the same size as the drill hole and countersink diameters. Must be just a coincidence.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    That is where I always have put them. They are the the same size as the drill hole and countersink diameters. Must be just a coincidence.

Im hoping you used a longer screw. I’ve seen a couple dropped marlins where the stud pulled out (from the bullseyes).

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I think inverting the front sight in this case might be an advantage.
    You might see a slight elevation difference, but not much else as far as carrying.
    However, out on the plains and prairies, first sighting will most likely be at or beyond the adjustment range of these open sights. If first shot is at or under max range zero, a known range could be adjusted to in a forward push of the thumb of the hand supporting the forearm.
    Shove the ramp forward × clicks and you're dialed in at 75 yds instead of 150.

Just a thought.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I think inverting the front sight in this case might be an advantage.
    You might see a slight elevation difference, but not much else as far as carrying.
    However, out on the plains and prairies, first sighting will most likely be at or beyond the adjustment range of these open sights. If first shot is at or under max range zero, a known range could be adjusted to in a forward push of the thumb of the hand supporting the forearm.
    Shove the ramp forward × clicks and you're dialed in at 75 yds instead of 150.

Just a thought.
    If its a folding rear sight, might also make for easier insertion in a scabbard.

rickt300

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2022
    Texas
    was watching a review on an old winchester and noticed the rear sight is fwd of the rear dovetail.
    anyone seen this before? i’d think the shooter would benefit from the longest possible sight radius.

View attachment 387637
    The odds are the shooter was an older individual and he could focus better on the sights when they are farther from his eyes.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    WTF, Where did that thought come from?
    Do we really want to know your sense of association?
    Absolutely no association as I do not own a lever action. Apparently you have the insight to turn sights around to mount an optic. I would place the sights & screws in a plastic bag then a cigar boxes of various parts on the shelf by the work bench would make more sense.

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Absolutely no association as I do not own a lever action. Apparently you have the insight to turn sights around to mount an optic. I would place the sights & screws in a plastic bag then a cigar boxes of various parts on the shelf by the work bench would make more sense.
    Unless you need to remove the broken glass or dead battery powered optics and keep shooting.

Top Bottom