• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Since I am up in Round Rock this week I figured I would post a running review of the course. According to the DPS personnel this is a all new curriculum (dated Oct 2011). We will be the first class of instructors taking the new test as well. ( today was day 2 I will edit and update the post as the week goes on)

Initial observations:
    Seems highly odd that you DO NOT need to be a CHL holder to take the instructor course. There are people in the class who have little to no firearms experience.

Lots of good information and experiences in regards to CHL holders from the Troopers.

Out of 77 people one obnoxious loudmouth can be very trying to deal with for both the students and instructors.

For CHL students changes coming in the near future:

DPS is coming up with a new target for the qualification (they gave no time frame)
    The NSA/SA differences is going to go away (no time frame given for certain, within a year is what they said)
    The CHL candidate test is being revamped and updated (by first of next year was what they said)
    Looking to make it that you need to be a certified firearms instructor before teaching the course (Tcleose, NRA, TSRA etc) (no time frame given)

Lots of good information so far, learning alot. Some great instructors.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Tell her to come over and say hi, I passed some cards out at the class, I'm in the middle row, green notebook, right at the room divider line.

JADB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    DFW
    Please keep us informed. I've heard through the grapevine that the class hours are going to be reduced as well as shooting qualifications. Seems dumb to me and possibly my source is really bad.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    With the number of family and friends who have CHLs i should get my CHL instructor liscence so I can teach them.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I'm glad they are making changes. Most of the garbage info I hear concerning weapons law in Texas begins with bad CHL instructors.

JADB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    DFW
    Is it really bad instructors or is the interpretation the dumbass students hear? I'm sure its both, but I'd put my money on bad interpretation.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Is it really bad instructors or is the interpretation the dumbass students hear? I'm sure its both, but I'd put my money on bad interpretation.

I imagine some of each. When I have a class of 20, and ONE person asks you a question that you covered earlier in a manner that sbows he completely does not get it, then the rest of the class looks at him like he lost his mind, well----------------- I let the class answer him. That shows that some folks just miss points or refuse to believe what you tell them.

I have had students that I could tell just flat don't believe me when I say something contrary to what they have 'heard". Even after showing the exact law, they are convinced there is something somewhere else that upholds their mistaken belief.

I have also personally heard instructors tell students bad info. There is not much that changing things will do to prevent that. DPS can stop it if they would audit more classes, but until they do those instructors will continue to present the bad info.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Both. TI gives a good description above. People see their CHL instructor as an expert, though, which is why BS from that source is more insidious. Instead of making up answers I think CHL instructors should admit they don't know, or look up the answer. There is no shame in not knowing but it seems that many CHL instructors feel compelled to fit into that "expert" role.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    DPS can stop it if they would audit more classes, but until they do those instructors will continue to present the bad info.

Word is that ALOT more classes are being audited, and alot of students are reporting bad instructors and those going around the regs on "giving" out the CHL-100's. They went over a Houston CHL instructor that did not do the shooting proficiency and ended up having 19 of her 23 students report her, she was charged with 23 felony counts total.

On the third day we covered alot of info, that was all new. My eyes are burning from the death by powerpoint, but it was the best way to disseminate information. Even went over practical exercises on traffic stop standard procedures which will definitely benefit being passed on to the students. After hearing some of the candidates in class I'm convinced 90% of the bad info put out is by people who "heard" something from "some guy" and spread the nonsense to others. I have not heard anything about shortening the class only about eliminating the NSA and SA differences. And the new tests. Will follow up tomorrow with more info.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I unfortunately do not know what all is new vs old. Just told by the troopers that this curriculum is used for the first time this month.

Currently here is what we are expected to cover;

Texas Government Code
    Sec. 411.188. HANDGUN PROFICIENCY REQUIREMENT. (a) The director by rule shall establish minimum standards for handgun proficiency and shall develop a course to teach handgun proficiency and examinations to measure handgun proficiency. The course to teach handgun proficiency must contain training sessions divided into two parts. One part of the course must be classroom instruction and the other part must be range instruction and an actual demonstration by the applicant of the applicant's ability to safely and proficiently use the applicable category of handgun. An applicant must be able to demonstrate, at a minimum, the degree of proficiency that is required to effectively operate a handgun of .32 caliber or above. The department shall distribute the standards, course requirements, and examinations on request to any qualified handgun instructor.
    (b) Only a qualified handgun instructor may administer a handgun proficiency course. The handgun proficiency course must include at least 10 hours and not more than 15 hours of instruction on:
    (1) the laws that relate to weapons and to the use of deadly force;
    (2) handgun use, proficiency, and safety;
    (3) nonviolent dispute resolution; and
    (4) proper storage practices for handguns with an emphasis on storage practices that eliminate the possibility of accidental injury to a child.

In addition we must cover eligibility, proper conduct on traffic stops as well as the type of target used because there are questions on the test covering those additional subjects.

Also we must cover, in addition to LAWS, the purpose of using deadly force, which is not outlined in chapter 9.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Here is the list of the 4 required topics to be taught from the new book (looks about the same)

Exact words from the DPS training manual:

Weapon Laws and Use of Force-includes the new parking lot bill.
    Basic Firearms
    Non Violent dispute resolution-heavy emphasis in this
    Proper storage of firearms

New/upcoming CHL changes
    The NSA/SA differences supposed to going away in the coming year
    DPS is working on a CHL target to replace the b-27
    Our class was the first to take the new instructor test which was way too easy (the class agreed it was very easy)
    If i think of anything else I will add it here.
    About 20 people in the class think they will have trouble passing the qualification at the required 225 score for instructors....

jake75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Hurst, TX
    Ya, my GF was worried about the range portion with the revolver but I think since the class she got her confidence back. Plus she was shooting a Taurus ultralite, before she left I talked her into buying a Ruger GP100 which shoots 1000 times better. She should do fine. She scored very well on her test.

cfell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Hill Country
    Nice updates!

Having been a "Motorcycle Safety Instructor/coach and also a Texas CHL Holder, I can tell you, I was more scared over the lack of firearm introduction to the "novice" targeteers than I ever was over teaching someone to ride a motorcycle. It would be nice to see some "hands on" with firearms BEFORE they show up for the class.

With the "easy" tests you mention, do you think this will translate into less "serious" CHL Instructors? My guess is that it could.

Top Bottom