• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Today, Bonnie and I caught the movie "Interstellar" at the Senior Matinee. We both enjoyed the movie and rated it highly but I have some serious reservations about the plot.

The movie plot centers on a "blight" that has descended on the crop growing capabilities of Earth. With each loss of customary sources of our food supplies, it is more obvious that Earth is a dying Orb in a vast universe. The terrain turns into a dust bowl like the "Grapes of Wrath."

Several plans are considered to save the population of Earth, but no planet that is reasonably close to Earth has what we need to make it a new home. They find a worm hole hidden within a black hole near Saturn so manned expeditions are sent to investigate some new planets to colonize. It's all new to us and the brave explorers set out on voyages that are probably suicide missions.

Time is getting short, people are hungry and Earth is dying. Enter now, our main character who is charged with the task of finding out what happened to the previous explorers and to see if one of the explored planets is habitable. Their crew sets off on their voyage to the worm hole.

Worm holes affect time and that's what sets this plot in a wild ride! There are more twists, spins and turnarounds in this plot and the viewer must stay hooked up to stay with the program. It's difficult to stay with the twists in the story and frankly, there are a some questions that are never fully answered and issues that are never resolved. That was frustrating!

Images in space are mind blowing, views of Earth from space are stunning. Vast loneliness of space travel hits you right in the gut. What they were doing took the viewer beyond fear and we could feel that. There are action sequences that will make you duck then grip the arms of the chair. Colors are breathtaking.

There is almost no profanity, no sexual content, and a small amount of violence. There are scenes that will scare the crap out of you!

Some things that I did NOT like about the flick included:

The unanswered holes and questions in the plot were annoying!

Our main character delivered almost ALL of his lines in a low key monologue.....almost a mumble. That got old.

The spacecraft had large panels of B-52 era analog gauges, potentiometers, instruments and mechanical switches. Sorry, but that was just foolish and it sucked!

The movie is long. Keep a clear path to the washroom!

There was something real special in this movie for me. I've never believed the church version of Earth, Heaven and Hell but always knew that there was more than we could see and touch. The movie showed how that may work.

I always believed that other life may be right here simultaneously.
    Perhaps it's on a different frequency like different FM stations where one station is unaware of another.
    Perhaps the difference is in size. Maybe our entire universe is a speck of dust in another existence.
    Maybe the whole history of our universe is the tick of a clock in a slower dimension. The movie showed images of parallel existences. I liked that!

I like Ann Hathaway! Put a little more meat on her and wrap her up. I'll take her home!

Bonnie and I both gave "Interstellar" an "A". I'll deduct a 1/2 for the holes in the plot and give it an A-.

The movie is well worth the time and money if you can fill in the plot with your imagination.

Flash
    ARJ Defense ad

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    mechanical switches, gauges, meters are easy to replace and offer ease of diagnosis and repair vs all computerized panels. Touch pads etc are nice, but ask the person who has a all electric dash panel on their car how much fun they are when something simple goes out. (Oh yeah I am an old Heathkit guy)

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Well you beat me to it, so I will add:

Lots of windows in those space ships, did anyone notice the windows were inset...entering atmosphere at thousands of mph would peel the skin off the ship and buffet so bad it would destroy itself.

2 hr movie CRAMMED into 3 hrs.

LISTEN real close as the mumbling along with the music makes it often difficult to understand what was said.

More unanswered questions than an illegal alien filling in a job application.

Still it was a good move worth a see, good special effects thought provoking

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    There ya go....Heathkits and Allied Radio Knight kits were big in my past, too!

The reason I mentioned that instrumentation is that I worked for 5 1/2 years in the aircraft industry with military and commercial aircraft. The obsessive weight reduction efforts are amazing! Carbon fiber, titanium and honeycomb panels are the rule. Similarly, every gram of weight is crucial in space flight. The film takes place in the future and the use of analog gauges and controls seems unlikely. Two gauges looked like they came right off of my battery charger! Analog equipment is just too heavy and bulky.

Still, it was a good movie!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Great observations! Some of the problems were annoying but it was still a fun flick!

I did forget to list the actual run time.....2 hours, 49 minutes! Yikes! Bring a pillow!

Flash

Last edited:

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Sounds like a good movie but with my hearing I think I'll wait until it comes out on disc or I can download it so I can pause and reverse it due to the sound issues.

PapaG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Near College Station
    Maybe there was a train of thought that digital equipment would not survive the trip, and their was no proven way to shield the semiconductors from whatever EMF or ? they would experience. I will hate the mumbling. My hearing does not deal with in real life the big screen movie systems should help I would hope.

A lot of movie theaters have wireless head sets for the hard of hearing to use.... I have not used them yet, but.....

Kennydale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Richmond/Rosenberg, TX
    (I wish they had LIKE buttons here) Saw it this weekend too . Like the film: 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). it throws at you the possibility of Powers are looking out for us. Though they don't use the
    word G-d, or Alien they use the term GRAVITY (definition is up to the viewer). At just under 3Hours I did have to make a quick trip to the "SANDBOX". I give this film 2 thumbs up.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    (I wish they had LIKE buttons here) Saw it this weekend too . Like the film: 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). it throws at you the possibility of Powers are looking out for us. Though they don't use the
    word G-d, or Alien they use the term GRAVITY (definition is up to the viewer). At just under 3Hours I did have to make a quick trip to the "SANDBOX". I give this film 2 thumbs up.
    Yes as God fades from America you can bet GRAVITY is not gonna bail your azz out no matter what the movies want you to believe.

Top Bottom