• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GPtwins

Well-Known
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    A pet peeve of mine: a revolver is not a pistol; a pistol is a semi-auto handgun.

I don't subscribe to this notion. The term pistol has been around longer than the semi-automatic. In pure dictionary terms...

-noun 1. a short firearm intended to be held and fired with one hand.

The terms revolver and semi-automatic (or auto-loader) describe specific types of handguns. I know that many people believe that a pistol is only a semi-auto. That is OK because I can generally translate what they mean. When talking about handguns I use the term in the dictionary sense. If I wish to be specific, I will use the descriptive terms mentioned earlier.

Just MY pet peeve. :)
    Texas SOT

bikerbill

Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    I have two revolvers I would consider for home defense, tho my regular nightstand gun is a 1911 ... My all-time favorite handgun is my S&W 686+; 7 rounds of either .357 or .38, 4-inch barrel, very accurate ... I'd suggest keeping it loaded with .38 +p indoors, .357 rounds tend to overpenetrate and the muzzle flash is amazing. I also have a Taurus 617; also 7 rd capacity, 2-inch barrel ... I carry it occasionally but it's a tad heavy. Shoots well and a lot cheaper than a Smith ...

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I don't subscribe to this notion. The term pistol has been around longer than the semi-automatic. In pure dictionary terms...

The terms revolver and semi-automatic (or auto-loader) describe specific types of handguns. I know that many people believe that a pistol is only a semi-auto. That is OK because I can generally translate what they mean. When talking about handguns I use the term in the dictionary sense. If I wish to be specific, I will use the descriptive terms mentioned earlier.

Just MY pet peeve. :)

I am right, you and the dictionary are wrong. Get over it. :p

Just kidding, of course. ;) But I am the one that got the admin to change the name of this forum from "Pistols" to "Handguns," so there!

robocop10mm

Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I am right, you and the dictionary are wrong. Get over it. :p

Just kidding, of course. ;) But I am the one that got the admin to change the name of this forum from "Pistols" to "Handguns," so there!

I'm with TXSUT. Handgun is the generic term. Damn Webster's, they don't know jack. I doubt anyone employed there has ever fired a gun. Aren't they the ones that made "bootylicious" an official word? And you want to trust what they use for a definition?

Back on topic- Ruger and S&W are the only two I would recommend. 4" .357 mag should be the foundation of any handgun collection, IMHO.

dee

Well-Known
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    You may want to look into a used Colt Python if you don't mind the price you will get one of the best revolvers ever made.

Top Bottom