• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    For the big bore fans. In 500 and 460 flavorings.
    bigsmitties.jpg
    DK Firearms

Attachments

• bigsmitties.jpg
      bigsmitties.jpg
      1.1 MB · Views: 670

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Underwood 700gr LWFNGC

eta: Bought a box for shits and giggles. Bullets keyhole. The 6 1/2 inch barrel isn't long enough to stabilize them.
    The standard rifling twist in S&W revolvers is 1-in-18.75 inches for the .500 S&W. If that doesn't work, then obviously a faster twist is needed.

John Ross realized that when he commissioned his special run of 5", unported revolvers. They had 1-in-10" twist barrels and were perfect for those long, heavy bullets.

As I get old, I find that I don't need as much and I no longer yearn to own all the things I once did. That includes revolvers. There was a time when I passionately wanted a Python, for example. Now I'm glad I put it off. But the John Ross Special? That's one of the few revolvers I've ever failed to buy that I still kick myself over.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    The standard rifling twist in S&W revolvers is 1-in-18.75 inches for the .500 S&W. If that doesn't work, then obviously a faster twist is needed.

John Ross realized that when he commissioned his special run of 5", unported revolvers. They had 1-in-10" twist barrels and were perfect for those long, heavy bullets.

As I get old, I find that I don't need as much and I no longer yearn to own all the things I once did. That includes revolvers. There was a time when I passionately wanted a Python, for example. Now I'm glad I put it off. But the John Ross Special? That's one of the few revolvers I've ever failed to buy that I still kick myself over.

I had never heard of the John Ross Specials before. I looked them up. Thanks for the enlightenment.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Here's one of mine. My old PPC match gun. Ben can you identify the parts?

With factory Federal 148gr WC shooting from a Ransom rest it will group 1.5" @ 50 yds using all 6 cylinders. Using only one <1".
    DSC_0006 (Medium).jpeg

Attachments

• DSC_0006 (Medium).jpeg
      DSC_0006 (Medium).jpeg
      169.3 KB · Views: 425

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ben can you identify the parts?
    Probably not.
    • The rib looks to be an older Aristocrat from the profile but it doesn't have the adjustable front sight so I could be wrong.
    • I don't see any markings on the barrel so I'll just guess it's a Douglas since those were the most common.
    • It looks to be a K frame and not an L.
    • The 'smith was nice enough to install a trigger stop, I think; it looks to be the wrong profile to be stock.
    Of course, I could be wrong about every single one of those observations. Tell me how I did.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Probably not.
    • The rib looks to be an older Aristocrat from the profile but it doesn't have the adjustable front sight so I could be wrong.
    • I don't see any markings on the barrel so I'll just guess it's a Douglas since those were the most common.
    • It looks to be a K frame and not an L.
    • The 'smith was nice enough to install a trigger stop, I think; it looks to be the wrong profile to be stock.
    Of course, I could be wrong about every single one of those observations. Tell me how I did.

Pretty damn close.

Bomar Rib (The wings were added when built)
    Douglas Barrel
    Model 10 S&W
    Bobbed hammer and lightened for faster movement, no hammer block.
    The trigger was polished and a piece of brass rod silver soldered to the back for a stop. It was slowly filed down to the point if a .001 shim is behind it it will not fire. It cannot be cocked for single action.
    Complete action rework, glass smooth and very light double action pull.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Dec 18, 2015
    I just passed on buying a S&W 19-5 in good shape for $500 out the door. Am I stupid, crazy or both?

Top Bottom