• ...and so much more!
  • codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    So after a bit of a busy spell, I've finally been able to do some work on the FAL kit.
    Kit..jpg
    After some deep thought (and lots of FALfiles searching...) I decided to go with a 16" carbine version of the old beast. So I got everything cleaned up and got started. After a little internal struggle with receiver choices, I called the guys over at Coonan and let them talk me into buying one of theirs.

During the wait, I pulled the barrel off the old stub using a bit of ingenuity and some elbow-grease. Had to split the old threads to get it to budge:
    Receiver Cut (Med&.JPG

Then chucked the barrel up in the lathe and got to cutting:
    Barrel Cut (Mediu&.JPG Raw Cut (Medium)..JPG Barrel End (Mediu&.JPG

Crowned:
    Barrel Crown (Med&.JPG Raw Crown (Medium&.JPG

And threaded 1/2-28 for an AR flash suppressor (got a ton of them laying around and LH threads are TOUGH!!!):
    Turn Down (Medium.JPG

When the receiver hits the ground (should be any minute!!!), I'll get rolling on the rest...
    Lynx Defense

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    This is my first FAL, but knock on wood, it seems REALLY straight forward. Almost as easy as an AR. We'll see... Hopefully I'll have it up by Saturday morning for some range time!

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Cut a hair off the shoulder and it's timing just right:
    Shoulder Cut (Med.JPG
    Not too shabby!

Now to torque the barrel and get everything aligned, then install the locking shoulder and check the headspace...

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    You're making me envious of the build and tools. I wish I had a lathe. I'll just have to pay you eleventy billion dollars to do it for me. Looks good, don't forget to post the final product.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    Yeah really...

"it seems REALLY straight forward. Almost as easy as an AR."
    I want to build an AR sooner or later...hope I don't need the lathe!

Thanks for letting us be voyeurs though! Looks like a cool project.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Yeah really...

"it seems REALLY straight forward. Almost as easy as an AR."
    I want to build an AR sooner or later...hope I don't need the lathe!
    Thanks for letting us be voyeurs though! Looks like a cool project.
    Haha! You should be alright. I seem to be hitting every snag possible in an FAL build.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Barrel went together without a hitch. Drove in the locking shoulder and it closed near perfect on the go-gauge. A bit tighter than I like, but still looks like I'm going to be good to go! I'm going to package it up and drop it off to get parkerized in the morning. If I was smart, I'd give it a test fire, I know, but I'm feeling a bit reckless and I'm pretty confident in the rifles design. It's certainly a well built rifle.

Meanwhile, I've got boxes from Midway and DSA with all my compliance parts that came in this week to go through.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Prepped, parkerized and just came out of the oil bath. The new finish came out absolutely amazing! It looks like a new rifle. All of my compliance parts were here so I'll start assembling and update the thread with some pics! Looks like I might be toting this one to the range tomorrow...

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Looks like it's not going to the range tomorrow with me. Appearantly, the charging handle was "lost" during the parkerizing process...and no one can look for it until Tuesday(really?) Crap! Oh well.

Here's what I've got so far:
    Finish2 (Medium)..JPG Finish (Medium)..JPG Finish3 (Medium)..JPG

Crappy pics, but I'm taking them with my phone. I threw some neat plastic junk and doo-dads on it to make it look all tacticool or whatever. What can I say? It was a big box that came from Midway...hahaha! Yeah I know the rail covers aren't snapped on all the way...I also know they are a pain to get back off when they are snapped together and it has to be disassembled again to get the charging handle on.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Details

Yankee Hill SC2 Ar15 Flash Suppressor bored for the .308:
    Flash Suppressor&#32.jpg
    It's a bit small for a .308, but it's one of the best I've used on ARs, so I'm hoping it will help battle the short FALs muzzle blast.

Front Sight:
    Front Sight (Medi.JPG
    It's a bit short for my taste, so I may narrow the post up a bit if the sight picture doesn't look right. Still, this rifle has great sights for a non US battle rifle.

Gas regulator:
    Gas Regulator (Me&#.jpg
    Now this is pretty cool. The splined nut adjusts to ensure proper function with whatever ammo I'm using. You can also turn the whole gas system off with a turn of the nut on the front. FN really designed this rifle well.

Rear sight:
    Para Sight (Mediu&#.JPG
    I went with a DSA Para Sight as it's just like the A2 style sights I'm used to and seems much sturdier than the original rear sight.

Receiver/top cover:
    Receiver (Medium).jpg
    The Coonan Type III receiver looks great and fit perfect with the Imbel kit. I went with a DSA extended scope mount as I'm starting to get slow picking up irons and I wanted the option of having optics. The slotted screws that came with the cover were a tad short and made from the softest metal on earth and hugs...but a trip to the fastener shop got that fixed in 10 minutes. New button head socket screws just a bit longer worked perfect. Torqued to 25 in/lbs and ready to go. The cover is semi-permanent as you don't have to remove it to disassemble the rifle. That was a big selling point on putting optics on a battle rifle. This is one of the better platforms to do it with, almost as good as an AR.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Specs (so far):

Coonan Type III Receiver
    Imbel Kit
    DSA Extended "Extreme Duty" Scope Mount/Top Cover
    DSA Para Rear Sight
    DSA X-Series OD Green Stock
    DSA OD Green Pistol Grip
    Falcon Ind. Trigger
    Falcon Ind. Sear
    Falcon Ind. Hammer
    Falcon Ind. TPR Spring Set
    YHM SC2 Flash Suppressor
    UTG Railed Handguard (What can I say? It was cheap and more functional than the standard handguards...)

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RafaelQ
    Top Bottom