• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Howa HCR in 6.5 CM Shooting Hornady American Gunner (cheap stuff) at 100 yds. First shot high, adjusted, and then a 5 shot group. I broke it in by the book. I have several groups under .25MOA. I'm the limiting factor in this combo.

View attachment 168934
    Nice!
    Howa makes some seriously under appreciated rifles.
    The Mini action is amazing, and one in 6.5G is on my short list.

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    Do the two of you think the Howa 1500 Oryx would be a good option out of the box like most people feel about the Ruger Precision Rifle? It's a little cheaper, so leaves me more for glass

Last edited:

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    FWIW
    When I go out with my 17hmr and my 6.5CM I'll typically shoot 100-150 rounds of the .17 and 20-30 rounds of the 6.5 ammo.

Never really planned that way but I'm a big fan of shooting lots of rimfire rounds.
    The 17 is particularly nice suppressed if you have that capability.

16 cents a round is a pleasure!
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....17-hmr-17-grain-v-max-2000-round-case?Tk=DFAM

Also fun is that with the .17 on a bipod from a bench the impact of the round can be seen as a little puff of lead on steel. With my 6-24 vortex I can see the perforation on the paper as it is created at 100 yards. The holes are tiny.

Regarding .223 vs 6.5CM??? For paper mox nix.
    The 6.5 can hunt anything in our state whereas the .223 is a bit light.

Last edited:

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sounds like you gotta figure out how much ya wanna shoot in an outing. Then figure your cost of ammo per outing x how many times a month ya plan to shoot.

I have a whole ammo can full of .22. It's nice to go out and shoot till I'm tired of shooting. It's not that way with my other calibers.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    As recommended, any of the Savage 10 rifles in the caliber desired and available. I've had variates of the Savage 10 in .308 and 6.5 CM. Both shoot .5 MOA. I prefer the 6.5 CM over the .308 due to less recoil. I don't like the stocks on those rifles. I updated the stocks to MDT chassis. That upgrade gives you a 10 round mag too.

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    FWIW
    When I go out with my 17hmr and my 6.5CM I'll typically shoot 100-150 rounds of the .17 and 20-30 rounds of the 6.5 ammo.

Never really planned that way but I'm a big fan of shooting lots of rimfire rounds.
    The 17 is particularly nice suppressed if you have that capability.

16 cents a round is a pleasure!
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....17-hmr-17-grain-v-max-2000-round-case?Tk=DFAM

Also fun is that with the .17 on a bipod from a bench the impact of the round can be seen as a little puff of lead on steel. With my 6-24 vortex I can see the perforation on the paper as it is created at 100 yards. The holes are tiny.

Regarding .223 vs 6.5CM??? For paper mox nix.
    The 6.5 can hunt anything in our state whereas the .223 is a bit light.
    That's pretty much what I was thinking. One to run cheap all day long, the other to run reasonably priced but for short duration. Also a bit more versatile.

I'm getting my daughter her first rifle, it's a Henry mini youth in .22lr. I wanted to pick up a .17 hmr to destroy some paper with her, plus she could use it as well, along with my wife.

The .223 or 6.5 would be for me to run maybe 50 really careful shots for a couple hours.

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    Anyone have any opinions on the Browning rifles? Like the X-Bolt paired with a T-Bolt? Then I could use the T bolt in .17 kind of as a practice rifle on a nearly identical platform. Same for the Ruger Precision Rifle and Ruger Precision Rimfire

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I'll "ditto" the .223 recommendations.
    The savage 10 is a ringer.

If you're not reloading and looking for a bit of a challenge, the Ruger precision rimfire looks to be a good bet. 17 would be more consistently accurate, but the right ammo in a 22lr is not a stretch at 200 yds.

Good luck. Lots of good info offered to you in this thread.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Anyone have any opinions on the Browning rifles? Like the X-Bolt paired with a T-Bolt? Then I could use the T bolt in .17 kind of as a practice rifle on a nearly identical platform. Same for the Ruger Precision Rifle and Ruger Precision Rimfire

I went down this path recently. There’s a whole lot of thought that’s going to have to go into scaling if you want to use a Rimfire surrogate for your centerfire precision rifle. You’ll also want a cartridge the has a trajectory similar enough that you get a representative scale when making dialing in necessary adjustments or holding over.

This much effort is beyond what is needed unless you want to be competitive at the state or national level.

If you’re limited to 200 yds, a 22LR and scaling the target down foe the yardage you have available is an option. 17HMR will shoot flatter, as will the 22WSM, but now you’re getting into similar costs, so pick one or the other, CF or RF and just dive in.

I find it more challenging to precisely shoot Rimfire at a scaled target and distance than it is with a centerfire, and that’s using the same optic on both guns.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

Handled a X Bolt when I was looking at 6.5's. Really smooth action, light weight too. It was a bit out of my price range.

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    Handled a X Bolt when I was looking at 6.5's. Really smooth action, light weight too. It was a bit out of my price range.
    Eh, toddnjoyce made a good point. I'll probably look for a chassis style rifle in .223 or 6.5. I like how they look, I think they'll be more accurate, and it's quite a bit different from most of the stuff I see at the range.

I think I'm going to get the car 455 varmint evolution for the .17 hmr.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    .17 HMR would be my recommendation. For years, friend Bonnie and I shot Marlin 917V rifles with $30 Tasco scopes at 200 yards in NRA competition. No one could beat Bonnie, so they put her in a class by herself!

I shot a 499/500 with my little Marlin followed by a 500/500! That was the only perfect score that I ever fired in competition!

Advice? Buy some GOOD .17 caliber cleaning equipment. The .17 rifles will copper foul when new. Later, the barrels are relatively trouble free. Butch's Bore Shine will get the copper out.

Flash

Last edited:

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    .17 HMR would be my recommendation. For years, friend Bonnie and I shot Marlin 917V rifles with $30 Tasco scopes at 200 yards in NRA competition. No one could beat Bonnie, so they put her in a class by herself!

I shot a 499/500 with my little Marlin followed by a 500/500! That was the only perfect score that I ever fired in competition!

Advice? Buy some GOOD .17 caliber cleaning equipment. The .17 rifles will copper foul when new. Later, the barrels are relatively trouble free. Butch's Bore Shine will get the copper out.

Flash
    Thanks for the advice. My good friend just got a .22 mag Ruger Precision Rimfire, so now I wanna get a .17 hmr and do some friendly unofficial shooting competition with him. I'm going with a Tikka T1x that I plan on dropping into a chassis later, and going to top it with a Vortex Diamondback scope

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Thanks for the advice. My good friend just got a .22 mag Ruger Precision Rimfire, so now I wanna get a .17 hmr and do some friendly unofficial shooting competition with him. I'm going with a Tikka T1x that I plan on dropping into a chassis later, and going to top it with a Vortex Diamondback scope
    The wind can effect the .17hmr a little more than the .22mag, but the .17hmr is so much flatter out to 200. Should be a fun competition on a 10-15mph day.

Top Bottom