• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hzeng

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2020
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posting my WASR - Have had it for 5+ years, only recently decided to upgrade the trigger, get a dog leg rail mount, toss on some holosun, folding stock, dong grip, and muzzle break. Fun to shoot but finding non-corrosive cheap brass to shoot has been getting hard.

Attachments

• 3BD829AF-B112-4AC6-BCF3-C56BC343686C.jpeg
      3BD829AF-B112-4AC6-BCF3-C56BC343686C.jpeg
      1.2 MB · Views: 99

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Put my GF3 on a diet with a new optic and upgraded the light and refinished the Russian laminate furniture.

I replaced my old heavy P/A Gen III Prism scope with the new GLX 2X Prism scope with ACSS for 7.62x39. It's much lighter, has a larger eye box, auto on reticle illumination and improved clarity compared to the old one, really impressed with this optic. I could probably shave an ounce by ditching the quick release but I want to be able to detach it in the event I needed the irons, I carry this little guy around a lot, the size and folding stock make it easy to conceal and transport.
    Apf8xXT.jpg

Replaced the old 800 lumen light with a 1000, same light I run on all my weapons, Streamlight Pro Tac HL-X with a pressure switch. I always run Vortex flip up scope caps on my lights, keeps me from accidentally lighting myself in case I bumped the pressure switch. I shoot left handed so it probably looks weird, works for me though.
    V3rayCM.jpg

Also got the screw in glare filter for the GLX.
    mrOdhBE.jpg

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Put my GF3 on a diet with a new optic and upgraded the light and refinished the Russian laminate furniture.

I replaced my old heavy P/A Gen III Prism scope with the new GLX 2X Prism scope with ACSS for 7.62x39. It's much lighter, has a larger eye box, auto on reticle illumination and improved clarity compared to the old one, really impressed with this optic. I could probably shave an ounce by ditching the quick release but I want to be able to detach it in the event I needed the irons, I carry this little guy around a lot, the size and folding stock make it easy to conceal and transport.
    Apf8xXT.jpg

Replaced the old 800 lumen light with a 1000, same light I run on all my weapons, Streamlight Pro Tac HL-X with a pressure switch. I always run Vortex flip up scope caps on my lights, keeps me from accidentally lighting myself in case I bumped the pressure switch. I shoot left handed so it probably looks weird, works for me though.
    V3rayCM.jpg

Also got the screw in glare filter for the GLX.
    mrOdhBE.jpg
    I've been really interested in ditching my red dot on my Zastava M85NP for one of those prism sights. Probably a little heavier, but the gun is already a tank with the thicker receiver and bulged trunnion. I just want a little magnification though.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I've been really interested in ditching my red dot on my Zastava M85NP for one of those prism sights. Probably a little heavier, but the gun is already a tank with the thicker receiver and bulged trunnion. I just want a little magnification though.

I also tried a red dot for a while but missed the magnification right away, I also found that I can't live without the ACSS reticle. I came from the Gen III Prism with 3x, it's also a great scope but on the shorty AK it's just a bit too much weight for me, it also had a smaller eye box that made target acquisition a bit cumbersome up close. The GLX with 2x seems just right to me, magnification out to 300 yards is excellent and the larger eye box makes target acquisition up close quick and easy with two eyes open. I'm pretty sure you would like the GLX, it's fairly light, much lighter than the old GEN III 3x. Primary Arms is supposed to be coming out with an even smaller version, not sure when they'll be hitting the market though. Amazing how far optics have come these days and at decent prices as well.

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I also tried a red dot for a while but missed the magnification right away, I also found that I can't live without the ACSS reticle. I came from the Gen III Prism with 3x, it's also a great scope but on the shorty AK it's just a bit too much weight for me, it also had a smaller eye box that made target acquisition a bit cumbersome up close. The GLX with 2x seems just right to me, magnification out to 300 yards is excellent and the larger eye box makes target acquisition up close quick and easy with two eyes open. I'm pretty sure you would like the GLX, it's fairly light, much lighter than the old GEN III 3x. Primary Arms is supposed to be coming out with an even smaller version, not sure when they'll be hitting the market though. Amazing how far optics have come these days and at decent prices as well.
    I have the Gen III Prism 3x 7.62 on my M10x. Love it! Weight never seemed a problem.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    I have the Gen III Prism 3x 7.62 on my M10x. Love it! Weight never seemed a problem.

You have a nice modern M10x, that's a nice light rifle compared to a standard AKM. An M10x weighs around 7lbs compared to a standard AKM at 8lbs without a magazine. Start adding equipment like lights and scopes to an AKM and you'll find out quick, weight matters believe me, lol.

Here's a size comparison between the GEN III and GLX Prism scopes.
    2UnikAm.jpg

Hard to believe they got a larger field of view out the tiny GLX tube. One thing to note is the GEN III has a larger reticle, the GLX has more of a CQB reticle (smaller) it gives it red dot like speed when acquiring targets. The auto on illumination is a really nice feature too.
    oERbgaj.jpg

Hzeng

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2020
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Got a new post ban sa-85m. I think someone bubba’d the original thumbhole stock off and not sure if the grip is original. Bolt carrier and receiver are matching but there’s a tapco USA on the bolt carrier.

Is it legit? Paid 1k pre tax for it. Barrel is clean and rifleing is good, little bit of soot in the gas tube and the top of the tapco USA part has little soot.

Edit - I figured out that all of the USA stuff is because of the ban. I'm not sure what else I should do to modify it. maybe some how get an underfolding stock?
    F73BDAAF-9BF5-4CF1-942C-0D0E5178CDDA.jpeg

Adding pic of bolt carrier
    B122D94D-1530-4D98-9253-9AFAD0D24378.jpeg

Last edited:

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    ^^^ Tapco is the gas piston/operating rod. That is for compliance. The bolt carrier is original.

Hzeng

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2020
    Sugar Land, Texas
    ^^^ Tapco is the gas piston/operating rod. That is for compliance. The bolt carrier is original.
    Thanks! I figured it had something to do with the 922 restriction. Some of the finish on the bolt carrier has been stripped. Is it generally something expensive for a gunsmith to refinish/recoat?

I polished another bolt carrier but want to keep this one with the black finish.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Hearing that distinctive PING never gets old. Had an epic range day @ Lone Star yesterday. Very few shooters all afternoon and I had the place to myself about an hour before they closed. Unfortunately, I had a guy walk out in front of me while the range was hot to post a target. The dumbass was immediately corrected. As John Wayne said, "Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid". Stay safe out there folks. Now excuse me while I go take out a second mortgage to cover ammo costs.
    20220111_143013.jpg
    20220111_143219.jpg

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Beauty rifles. Tell us more about these Garands. Is the one on the left special grade?
    The rifle on the left is a service grade HRA bought before special grade was a thing. The rifle on the right is a field grade Springfield. Ten years ago, when I lived in IL, I drove to the CMP North Store at Camp Perry (Ohio) and hand picked each one on two separate occasions. Both rifles are mix masters but were gauged, by me and the CMP, to have very little throat and muzzle wear. The Springer has a NM barrel and many NM parts as well as a nice patina. As evidenced in the photo, the HRA is in "like new" condition other than having a used barrel. I like each rifle for different reasons. Both shoot well and have functioned flawlessly. My main goal was to get some decent shooters. I think I succeeded. Lastly, I definitely should have stocked up on more of the Greek HXP that was still going for "cheap" back then.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom