• ...and so much more!
  • cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    Hey all,

I need some guidance arrows...

I do not have any sort of rifle right now but do want to get one. The extent of use for the first little while is just plinker. I will just start on the range and have fun. Maybe over time i might use it more.

I was thinking an ACR but given the price and the feature set I am leaning away from it.

I am thinking about just going with a standard Ar-15. That way I could get other uppers (ar-57 and 9mm or 45 acp, and 22LR are the most interesting) later.

Obv it will take a few years before I have everything but this is what I am thinking. I would prolly get a standard bushmaster to start.

Thoughts? Am i nuts? Is there something else I should consider?

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    I would just go with the semi because of options. If there is a bolt that can get there I would be interested. With that said I do want to get something like a 10/22 but thats just for fun.

I dont really shop with a price range. I shop value not price. I am looking for a something that I can grow with so it will be some money over a period.

tx787

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Austin
    I'd start with a Colt 6920, you will have all top quality core components and QC and everything in a basic configuration allowing you to tweak it as time goes on. I know you said no budget, but in case you do have an issue with a $1,200 rifle the $900 Bushmaster Texas at GT Distributors in a good starting gun as well.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I would start with a Ruger 10/22.
    Lots of mods, upgrades and cool toys. You won't outgrow it.
    After shooting for many years I still put more 22lr down range than any other cal.
    I nice basic AR15 from someplace like Academy is nice. For about $700' you can do everything from plink to target shoot, hunt deer and defend your home.
    The AR is really a great do all rifle.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    will you ever hunt with this gun?
    how often will you be shooting and how many rounds?
    do you want something that is ugly and functions perfectly no matter what or something that is pretty and will have hiccups?

these are the real questions before buying a decent gun.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I agree with the 10-22 choice and recommend that you shoot it until the barrel falls off. As your skills improve, an AR-15 is then a good choice. Be advised, however, owning the 10-22 and AR-15 becomes a sickness. Like potato chips, no one can have only ONE. I've owned a pile of both rifles and have felt the sting of the sickness.

Flash

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Agree with 10-22 to start. You could also take a look around for a used Marlin 60 (should run about $100), but they're nowhere near as upgradable as the Ruger.

For an AR, I'd avoid Bushmaster. Their QC is in the toilet right now.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    You bet on the 10/22 for plinking. They are cheap and lots of parts for them. A 10/22 can be shot all day long for $30.
    When you decide you need a man sized gun, Buy Youself A DPMS AR15. I never had a problem form them.
    When your ego needs a test, Get yourself a LR308 or AR10.
    or you can learn Russian and get a SKS or AK....

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'd avoid DPMS in the near future. With the QC issues Bushy's been having and the closure of the Bushmaster plant.... they moved production over to the DPMS facility. Guess what? Increased volume leads to QC issues. Don't believe me? Look at Kimber...

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    Which 10/22 do I start with then? Does it even make a differences?

I know I will mod it over time because that is the type of person I am.

I am hopefully going to hit the gun show this weekend and see what I can find.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    find the cheapest 10/22 you can find. over the years it wont even be the same gun, first changes usaully made are barrel and stock
    and like everyone has said they are an addiction.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    If you have an Academy near you, get the $189 10/22. You'l pay at least $150 for a used one, but many people are selling used ones at like $200 which makes no sense to buy used and pay more.

Sid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Austin
    S&W M&P15-22 is also an option. About twice the price of a Ruger 10/22, but you'll build a good foundation for using an AR15.

Top Bottom