Gun Zone Deals

Rifles with bayonets legal on shooting range?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xwray

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Houston
    Since carrying a blade longer than 5.5 inches is illegal, what about carrying a rifle
    with a mounted bayonet to a shooting range? I'm talking about rifles with bayonets
    which were imported prior to the assault weapon ban such as Mosin Nagants and SKSs
    here in Texas.

Thanks to anyone that might be able to provide definitive information on this subject.
    Guns International

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I don't know - I've shot both with bayonets out and I got more "That's cool" than "get outta here."

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Sec. 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY.

(b) Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:

(3) is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the actor's residence, motor vehicle, or watercraft, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity;

Chapter 46 of the Penal Code: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    In case you didn't figure it out based on my above post, per TPC 46.02(b)(3), you are OK to shoot a Mosin or SKS with a bayonet on it. I do it all the time...

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Isn't it up to Officer Idon'tknow to say if a knife is "illegal" or not? It sorta depends on what he wants to do right?
    If you're acting a fool it is illegal. If your dorking around on the range maybe not so much.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Isn't it up to Officer Idon'tknow to say if a knife is "illegal" or not? It sorta depends on what he wants to do right?
    If you're acting a fool it is illegal. If your dorking around on the range maybe not so much.

No, if the blade is over 5.5 inches the officer has PC to arrest. A trier of fact will decide the rest. ;)

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    How are illegal knives "commonly" used in rifle shooting?

It's integral to the weapon. Many Soviet rifles were designed to be fired with the bayonet in place, and it affects the accuracy to shoot one without it.

Plus, the Texas definition of a "Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the instrument. The bayonets for a Mosin and/or SKS are not hand instruments.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Well for one thing, Russian gun designs shoot like crap without the bayonet being attached since it effects the barrel harmonics and the POI.
    QFT.

In the past, there have been Russian Olympic shooting teams who insisted on shooting with fixed bayonets. (I miss the 300M Rifle event.:()

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    It's integral to the weapon. Many Soviet rifles were designed to be fired with the bayonet in place, and it affects the accuracy to shoot one without it.

Plus, the Texas definition of a "Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by cutting or stabbing a person with the instrument. The bayonets for a Mosin and/or SKS are not hand instruments.

I like your reference to "hand instrument". That makes sense. This afternoon I will have to check on case law. I also know a guy well versed in knife laws.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I like your reference to "hand instrument". That makes sense. This afternoon I will have to check on case law. I also know a guy well versed in knife laws.

There are 6 definitions given for "illegal knife" in PC 46.01

[FONT](6) "Illegal knife" means a:[/FONT]
    [FONT](A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;[/FONT]
    [FONT](B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;[/FONT]
    [FONT](C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;[/FONT]
    [FONT](D) bowie knife;[/FONT]
    [FONT](E) sword; or[/FONT]
    [FONT](F) spear.[/FONT]

It's true that "knife" is defined as a "hand instrument", but not all illegal knives include the term "knife" in the definition. Indeed, "spear" is included in the list of definitions for "illegal knives". Is not a rifle with bayonet affixed most similar to a spear? If placing your illegal knife at the end of a rifle would remove it from the definition then so would placing it at the end of a long stick, but it does not. And the blade length of a "spear" does not matter: they are all illegal knives.

[FONT]

[/FONT]

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Now to be clear, someone is wearing a hunting knife that is 6 inches long, in a sheath walking down the road, they are in possession of an illegal knife and the officer has PC to arrest. Correct? What then would be a defense to such an act?

xwray

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Houston

I, for one, anxiously look forward to what you find out. Seems like this subject, like many of "our" weapons laws, are mainly there so the state always has a reason they could use to feed you to the system...

Top Bottom