Texas SOT

Rimfire Accutrigger Slipping? Make It Set!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Josh Smith

Smith-Sights LLC
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Wabash IN
    Hello,

The Savage rimfire Accutrigger is nice.

However, it does have its flaws. Mine started slipping when I would close the bolt. This got frustrating when using it to hunt.

My solution was to recut the sear, and, while I was at it, make it a set type of trigger!

firsttriggerhook.jpg

I cut a new engagement surface on the sear above the stock engagement surface, which has worn out. This will allow the bolt to be worked hard, and the minimum pull for this shelf is about 2#, though I do not recommend going below 5#.

safetytriggerhook.jpg

I then adjusted the safety so that, when the trigger is pulled with the safety on, the sear drops to an intermediate position between the two engagement surfaces. This keeps it from dropping on the original rest and ruining the surfaces (which you should have resurfaced).

settriggerhook.jpg

The final position for the set trigger can be taken down to 12 ounces, though I do prefer no less than 2#. You lower it by disengaging the trigger.

The rifle can be fired from either engagement surface. A fly is not required as the two surfaces are close enough together that the momentum of the trigger carries it past the secondary engagement surface if you shoot off the primary.

Of course, if you decide to do this, you do it at your own risk!

Regards,

Josh
    Target Sports

Josh Smith

Smith-Sights LLC
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Wabash IN
    Thanks.

I was rather disappointed in Savage. I did this because the sear started sloping and when I tested the hardness, a file scratched it easily.

That should not happen.

I called Savage, Rimfire Division, in Canada. They were rather rude and I was not going to deal with them. I really should have hardened the sear and may still do so, but it's been working like this for a while now.

Suffice to say, though, that their customer support (or lack thereof) plus the fact that I had to fix a couple things on this rifle when it was new, insures that I will never buy Savage again, rimfire or centerfire. I have it very sub-MOA now, but I should not have had to straighten the action so the bull barrel didn't touch the wood, either! They wanted me to ship it back to Canada on my dime. It think not!

CZ next time. I'd try Kimber but I'm a lefty and I don't see a them having a lefty .22 in their lineup.

Josh

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Thanks.

I was rather disappointed in Savage. I did this because the sear started sloping and when I tested the hardness, a file scratched it easily.

That should not happen.

I called Savage, Rimfire Division, in Canada. They were rather rude and I was not going to deal with them. I really should have hardened the sear and may still do so, but it's been working like this for a while now.

Suffice to say, though, that their customer support (or lack thereof) plus the fact that I had to fix a couple things on this rifle when it was new, insures that I will never buy Savage again, rimfire or centerfire. I have it very sub-MOA now, but I should not have had to straighten the action so the bull barrel didn't touch the wood, either! They wanted me to ship it back to Canada on my dime. It think not!

CZ next time. I'd try Kimber but I'm a lefty and I don't see a them having a lefty .22 in their lineup.

Josh

That's very disheartening to hear about Savage Customer Service, but good to know. My buddy Jared(TundraWookie on TGT) just got a Savage 17hmr and I enjoyed shooting that. I agree on CZ, hear lots of great things about those rifles.

Top Bottom