RIP Bum

dbgun

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 17, 2008
Houston, TX.
Just heard Bum Phillips died today. Damn, very sad news.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Admin
Nov 22, 2011
Spring
Seemed like a good man and it's always bad to lose those. RIP.

Side note - He was a funny guy. I'll never forget him on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. Johnny didn't know what to make of him and asked him about the fact that he took his wife with him on the road to away games. Bum replied "Hafta take 'er with me. Too ugly to kiss goodbye." That one still puts a smile on my face.

dbgun

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 17, 2008
Houston, TX.
Seemed like a good man and it's always bad to lose those. RIP.

Side note - He was a funny guy. I'll never forget him on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. Johnny didn't know what to make of him and asked him about the fact that he took his wife with him on the road to away games. Bum replied "Hafta take 'er with me. Too ugly to kiss goodbye." That one still puts a smile on my face.
I liked how he had told the press all week long, that playing the Cowboys was just another game his team had to play. Nothing special about who they were playing. Then when the oilers beat the Cowboys, he told them that he had lied all week. He really wanted to beat them, badly. He had a great sense of humor.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jan 3, 2010
Occupied Texas
When he toured the Texans practice field a few years ago, the reporters asked him if he didn't wish that Bud Adams (the notoriously cheap owner of the Oilers/now Titans) had built a covered practice field like that. Bum replied (on camera) that if Adams built it, the dome would only be 3 feet high.

He never had a great team to work with (and an awful owner in Bud Adams), but he always got the utmost out of all of his players. He was and is still much beloved in Houston.

RIP, Bum!

Primary

TexasGunTalk Assistant
Here are some related products that TexasGunTalk members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TexasGunTalk’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TexasGunTalk discussions about these products.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads