• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

drummingchevy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Houston
    I'm going to be semi-moving from AZ to Houston in less than a month and I am planning on traveling with almost all of my guns (8...ish). I've read up and I know the laws of the states that I'm traveling through, and I will be abiding by them. However, I'm afraid that 8 guns with ammo cans for them plus a bug out box in a big, black truck will make me look like a "dangerous, evil militia member." I've made this trip a couple of times in the past and I've never been pulled over and I plan on driving the speed limit like I have always done in the past. My truck is current on all registration, inspection, etc and everything is in proper working order. However, if I do get pulled over I am certain that I will be arrested. I know there is a federal law that allows a person to transport firearms for moving (which I'm doing) but no LEO is going to care.

What it boils down to is that I am guide less at the moment. Does anyone have any ideas about what to do to possibly minimize any chance of my imprisonment if I get pulled over?
    Guns International

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    ummmmm....no comment. This cant be a serious question.
    Maybe he forgot to add that he would be driving through California, Illinois, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut and any other ban state on his way from Arizona to Houston.

Seriously OP, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas have some of the least infringing laws as far as you're concerned.

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Stay away from the feds, (border patrol) and you should be okay. I'm of the opinion that your concern is one that you should take serious and anybody that advises otherwise has not experienced the dark side of our LEO world. Godspeed.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I have traveled across Texas with more guns than that and had no problem.
    Im sure if you get pulled over somebody might ask WTF?
    If your moving to a border town it might cause some suspicion.
    Honestly I wouldnt worry about it. Keep the guns covered up so some POS doesnt see them as a prize for theft.

ryantx23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    North TX
    Try getting stopped with about 15 long guns and 8 pistols laying in plain view in the back seat.... That's a good way to make an Officer nervous, but not in the least bit illegal. Chill out and don't worry dude. As long as you aren't using them to commit a crime, you have nothing to worry about. Well, unless their stolen or you act like a squirrel if you get pulled over.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    You might be wary of the Border Patrol, Willy Nelson was recently checked by them out in West Texas and found in possession of marijuana smelling air and some
    small amount of the illegal weed...He was referred to the regular Law Enforcement folks and I think paid a small fine. This of course because perhaps they liked his songs, his advancing age, and the fact that this wasn't his first time to be caught with MJ, and reasoning that someday in his coffin he would be layed away with a rolled one between his index & middle finger, not lighted of course, but a couple of matches in the other hand.

I don't use that stuff myself, I dip Copenhagen, and shoot tin cans and paper targets for my happiness....

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Try getting stopped with about 15 long guns and 8 pistols laying in plain view in the back seat.... That's a good way to make an Officer nervous, but not in the least bit illegal. Chill out and don't worry dude. As long as you aren't using them to commit a crime, you have nothing to worry about. Well, unless their stolen or you act like a squirrel if you get pulled over.

Having pistols in plain view would be illegal in Texas, they have to be concealed when in a vehicle.

Avoidance is always the best way. This may sound ridiculous but, take a bunch of random crap like wadded up newspaper, empty fast food drink cups, etc and cover all your guns with it. If a criminal glances in your truck, they will probably be less likely to mess with it since it will look like a waste of their time. If an officer glances in, they'll probably just think you're a slob and hurry you on your way. ;) Avoidance and following the law and you'll be fine.

ryantx23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    North TX
    Having pistols in plain view would be illegal in Texas, they have to be concealed when in a vehicle.

Avoidance is always the best way. This may sound ridiculous but, take a bunch of random crap like wadded up newspaper, empty fast food drink cups, etc and cover all your guns with it. If a criminal glances in your truck, they will probably be less likely to mess with it since it will look like a waste of their time. If an officer glances in, they'll probably just think you're a slob and hurry you on your way. ;) Avoidance and following the law and you'll be fine.

I am LE, so I dont have to worry about that...

boscoh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Tomball
    I am LE, so I dont have to worry about that...

Then you should know better than to say it's "not in the least bit illegal" to have pistols in plain view, inside your vehicle, without stating that you're an officer and the rules are a little bit different for you. It may not be illegal if you are LE, but for those of us who aren't, it sure is illegal.

drummingchevy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Houston
    To address some of the common comments:
    1. Yes I am serious. If you aren't, the Off-Topic forums are located farther down on the home page of this site.
    2. I know I am not doing anything illegal, but not all LEO care.
    3. The route I am taking bypasses Border Patrol stations and other federal agency "checkpoints."
    4. It's a 20 hour drive, so I'm going to be sleeping in the truck. The vehicle will be occupied the entire time (minus pee breaks, when it will be in a high-visibility area).
    5. The guns/ammo will be underneath my other luggage (clothes, etc.) and not visible.

1rightguy
    Re: Road Trip with Numerous Guns

Stay away from the feds, (border patrol) and you should be okay. I'm of the opinion that your concern is one that you should take serious and anybody that advises otherwise has not experienced the dark side of our LEO world. Godspeed.

Thanks for the support.

matefrio

Only 8? I can agree it's nerve racking. See below for a good summary.

NRA-ILA ::

This is a big help. Thanks for the link. From the article, for those who didn't read it: "Travelers should be aware that some state and local governments treat this federal provision as an “affirmative defense” that may only be raised after an arrest." The whole reason I am asking for help is to avoid getting arrested and not having to deal with this. I know AZ, NM, and TX are gun-friendly but the individual LEO is my concern.

Sig_Fiend

Originally Posted by ryantx23

Avoidance is always the best way. This may sound ridiculous but, take a bunch of random crap like wadded up newspaper, empty fast food drink cups, etc and cover all your guns with it. If a criminal glances in your truck, they will probably be less likely to mess with it since it will look like a waste of their time. If an officer glances in, they'll probably just think you're a slob and hurry you on your way. Avoidance and following the law and you'll be fine.

More good advice. Thanks!

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I have been pulled over with 27 firearms in my vehicle at once between Houston and Austin, it turned into a small gun show on the side of the highway but there was nothing wrong with it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom