• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Oh, and I always found Rush Working Man to be kind of condescending. It just kind of rubs me the wrong way. Styx got it right. Their tribute to the working stiff is about a guy that sucks it up and gets it done.

Personally, I wouldn't call Rush's Working Man condescending, but like others have said to each his own. You won't get any argument from me, though, regarding Styx, IMHO one of the most underappreciated rock bands that has ever come down the pike. Styx albums I through IV, ain't nothing like them and no one can touch them.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Mott the Hoople - All the Young Dudes Def leppard - High and Dry Led Zepplin - Black dog Kiss - detroit rock city. Aerosmith Train kept a Rollin
    AC/DC Rock and Roll aint Noise pollution

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    If we were talking "hard Rock" there's a lot more I could post. I like me some of that too.

"Rock N Roll" is largely dead because you have to be extreme these days, or you're discounted. Not many out there putting out some solid Rock N Roll.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I'm tempted to post some GG Allin because that dude is a rock GOD; but I don't think he ever wrote single song that wouldn't get me banned...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Alice cooper-desperado, Eric Clapton-I feel wonderfull tonight(does that count as rock?), Can't stand most of what they call rock now.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Alice cooper-desperado, Eric Clapton-I feel wonderfull tonight(does that count as rock?), Can't stand most of what they call rock now.

One flavor of rock, certainly. I've always been most happy with southern rock (The Outlaws, Blackfoot) and progressive rock (Styx, Alan Parsons Project, Yes).

Personally, I think two things really killed rock 'n' roll, and those were MTV/music videos, plus the availability of computer technology to allow home recording, mixing, and burning to CD of recorded material so that any garage band with a catchy video could score some airplay and become ridiculously popular. Who knew how prophetic it really was that the very first video MTV played was Video Killed The Radio Star by The Buggles. Who knew that was the beginning of the end?

GoofyCracker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Houston
    Glad to see the thread still "Rockin"

Any guitar player respects this man

Ever though he was a married to his cousin he could play the heck out of a piano

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    One flavor of rock, certainly. I've always been most happy with southern rock (The Outlaws, Blackfoot) and progressive rock (Styx, Alan Parsons Project, Yes).

Personally, I think two things really killed rock 'n' roll, and those were MTV/music videos, plus the availability of computer technology to allow home recording, mixing, and burning to CD of recorded material so that any garage band with a catchy video could score some airplay and become ridiculously popular. Who knew how prophetic it really was that the very first video MTV played was Video Killed The Radio Star by The Buggles. Who knew that was the beginning of the end?

I agree music has gone down hill, seems talent is less of a factor than a pretty face or the willingness to dress like a freak. My radio hasn't left 95.9 in months, texas country to me still has the southern rock sound in many cases and we have some great artists in this state.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I agree music has gone down hill, seems talent is less of a factor than a pretty face or the willingness to dress like a freak. My radio hasn't left 95.9 in months, texas country to me still has the southern rock sound in many cases and we have some great artists in this state.

I listen to 95.9, the Ranch, in Fort Worth if I'm not listening to SlackerRadio or Podcasts. Texas country produces some of the only new music I like.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication

Back in the day, it took talent. There are many examples of groups that knew how to write songs, and knew how to play their damn instruments. Steppenwolf cut several of their albums in a single weekend. Also, The Doors cut L.A. Woman in a weekend in a private home (I think it was John Densmore's house), with each band member set up in a different room and Jim Morrison singing while standing inside the bathtub in order to get the desired reverberation effect. Nowadays, it's not unusual to take 6 months to a year to lay down tracks for an album, and an equal amount of time to remix and edit those tracks. That's ridiculous, and covers up a multitude of errors and lack of talent IMHO.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Here's one of my favorite bands, The Outlaws, and they're a great example of what happens when you have three lead guitarists playing either lead or rhythm guitar. If you can listen to Green Grass and High Tides and not play air guitar there's something wrong with you. This is arguably one of the best guitar songs that's every been performed.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Personally, I wouldn't call Rush's Working Man condescending, but like others have said to each his own. You won't get any argument from me, though, regarding Styx, IMHO one of the most underappreciated rock bands that has ever come down the pike. Styx albums I through IV, ain't nothing like them and no one can touch them.

I just have problems with a few sections of the song. Like "I get home at five o'clock and take myself out a nice cold beer, I always seem to be wonderin' why there's nothing going down here". Those are the things that rub me the wrong way about that song... Seems like every time I hear it I catch a whiff of class envy.

espy59lc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    San Antonio
    I was born in '87, so my likes of Rock is a little different.

#1 all time favorite!

These next couple are a little heavier:

These are just a few lol

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Staff online

• Vaquero
      Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GiantLoomis
    Top Bottom