• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GaryH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Cowtown
    I first fished rollover pass in the mid 50s. I haven't been there in 20 years or so.

I thought they were going to close rollover pass because of beach erosion or something after the last hurricane. I haven't seen any pictures, but I would assume the peninsula was wiped out by Ike.

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Rollover Pass is a very narrow area of the Boliver Peninsula East of Galveston. The Gulf is on one side of the pass and an inland waterway is on the other.

It was named "Rollover" because during the Civil War blockade, drums were offloaded and rolled to cargo rigs or to boats on the inland side of the pass. Some say that Moonshiners and Prohibition whiskey smugglers used "Rollover", too.

The pass has a channel cut through it and direction of water flow from Gulf to inland varies with the tide. It is a major fishing area and folks would bring campers there. It has been free to fish there in the 20 years that I've been here.

Re: IKE
    I went out to the Boliver Peninsula right after Ike. Where all the houses on stilts were located, only three homes on extra tall pilings were still intact. There was nothing but piles of lumber and ruined belongings remaining.

Flash

Last edited:
    Top Bottom