• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Calm down, there are thousands of these pistols available in the US. I have one, and I know a handful of people that have them too.

I have an AR pistol with a 14.5" barrel, and I also own multiple AR rifles. How easy would it be for me to pull the buffer tube off one of those and make an SBR? Pretty easy and would take about 5 minutes. Now does that mean I have constructive intent? Nope.

Much to do about nothing as far as I am concerned...

I realize that, but BATFE's mission statement is to make much ado about nothing.

Let's look at the AR pistol, that's a little easier for me to make an analogy for it. If you've got an AR pistol and no AR rifles, BATFE finds out you've got this pistol AND a carbine buffer and stock, they can send you to federal prison. Even if there's no evidence that you've even attempted to install them on your pistol to create an SBR. Intent does not factor into this law (which is wrong, but the subject of another thread). Mens rea is dead. Likewise, if you've got an AR rifle or carbine and no pistol (or at least a stripped lower that was sold new as stripped and never built as a rifle) and go out and buy a sub-16" barrel upper, you're actually guilty of possession of an unregistered SBR, even if you don't attempt or intend to install that upper on your rifle/carbine lower.

Is it retarded? Yes. Does it make a damn bit of sense? No. Is this how BATFE has convinced the courts that the law needs to be applied? Yes.

BATFE's mission statement reads something like this: To harass and persecute.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    I realize that, but BATFE's mission statement is to make much ado about nothing.

Let's look at the AR pistol, that's a little easier for me to make an analogy for it. If you've got an AR pistol and no AR rifles, BATFE finds out you've got this pistol AND a carbine buffer and stock, they can send you to federal prison. Even if there's no evidence that you've even attempted to install them on your pistol to create an SBR. Intent does not factor into this law (which is wrong, but the subject of another thread). Mens rea is dead. Likewise, if you've got an AR rifle or carbine and no pistol (or at least a stripped lower that was sold new as stripped and never built as a rifle) and go out and buy a sub-16" barrel upper, you're actually guilty of possession of an unregistered SBR, even if you don't attempt or intend to install that upper on your rifle/carbine lower.

Is it retarded? Yes. Does it make a damn bit of sense? No. Is this how BATFE has convinced the courts that the law needs to be applied? Yes.

BATFE's mission statement reads something like this: To harass and persecute.

I completely understand, but you blew up like having one of these Draco pistols was some wild concoction that the BATFE was looking for and that those of us that own them are walking a thin line of legality..

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I didn't meant to blow up. I'm just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if BATFE wouldn't give those guns an extreme amount of scrutiny. If I had one I'd do a Form 4 pretty quick for CYA as much as anything. Any little reason you give them is too much for my comfort.

I don't like BATFE. They like to lie and cheat you into prison.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I gotta admit I was a bit concerned, but since I don't own the rest of the parts to SBR this Draco I am not too worried. This is how the pistol came from Century, so I would like to think that I would be covered at least by the fact that I have made absolutely no modifications to this firearm outside of the notch in the grip to put the paracord sling loop through.

But I appreciate the concern, I too want to do everything to avoid Federal PMITA Prison and have successfully done so to date. I have not heard of anyone being pursued by the BATFE for having an unmodified Draco, even with the rear underfold trunnions; and there are hundreds of threads on numerous forums so if it happened, I think it would have been noted.

By the way, we did shoot the Draco this past weekend at Camp Bullis. It's quite a different experience than the "typical" AK, much muzzle flash and like any high caliber pistol, you have to have a good drip on it! My 13-yr-old son loved it, and it was a blast to shoot! Not overly accurate at range, but definitely a high-penetration round as compared to other pistols and if anything, the muzzle flash and sound (it's very loud) will attract attention!

Cheers! M2

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    Try putting a AR 15 style birdcage on it. I did that with mine and I did not have a whole lot of issues to complain about with muzzle flash. I think I am going to be setting up the trust and shipping off for two stamps here real soon. One for the Draco and one for changing the AR pistol into an SBR...then comes the supressors..

mkburden

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    HUNT COUNTY TEXAS
    I was thinking the same thing about 4 years ago. I went with the sub2k with glock platform. (fyi I dont run a glock so mags arent any added bonus I run a xd) I am however looking for an ak now. The s2k is a really good pistol caliber carbine though, and very reliable in my opinion. If I ran a Glock, maybe it would be more favorable. Good luck, you could always get both. (Thats my plan) LOL

balloo93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    WASR with a side folder will easily fit in a tennis racket bag:

DSC05622.jpg

DSC05625.jpg

Fits better with a 20rd in and 2-3 30rds in the bag or the front pocket.

I'd find something that thieves would overlook. Maybe a old beat up slim metal box with "CAUTION Human Waste Handle with Care" painted on it.

I'd suggest getting a conceal carry and finding a good pistol to fight your way home to a rifle. Or keep it under your spare in the trunk.

samloopy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    catarina
    I completely understand, but you blew up like having one of these Draco pistols was some wild concoction that the BATFE was looking for and that those of us that own them are walking a thin line of legality..
    hrmm when researching AK building months ago it was stated many many places that that combo should never be a stock trunion in a pistol reciver stateing the exact thing M sage stated "constructive intent" SBR stuff etc

always been my thoughts to err on the side of caution with them guys

Top Bottom