• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huntinggal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    dallas
    I am totally in support of legalizing marijuana. If it is going to be regulated at all it should be done in the same manner as cigarettes or alcohol. Keeping it illegal and continueing the so-called drug war is a waste of time and money. As to Shipwreck...marijuana first of all is not a drug and second of all is not a "gateway drug". Just because people who have smoked marijuana continue on to harder drugs does not mean that the marijuana caused them to do so.
    Gun Zone Deals

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    I am totally in support of legalizing marijuana. If it is going to be regulated at all it should be done in the same manner as cigarettes or alcohol. Keeping it illegal and continueing the so-called drug war is a waste of time and money. As to Shipwreck...marijuana first of all is not a drug and second of all is not a "gateway drug". Just because people who have smoked marijuana continue on to harder drugs does not mean that the marijuana caused them to do so.

Says either someone who is either using marijuana himself, or someone who has nothing to base this off of. And if you are a user who hasn't moved into anything else. That's good. But, I never said everyone who uses marijuana moves on. Only that it is a gateway drug... But, as I stated before, no one here is going to convince the other side. My point is that I actually deal with it. Your point is that you THINK it's not a drug or a gateway drug.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Well, to get back on track, the issue with Ron Paul is not whether or not Marijuana is good / evil, but that the criminalization thereof is really an infringement of individual liberties.

Ron Paul leans Libertarian and stands firmly on the premise that all Federal legislation should meet a strict "constitutional" test.

I cannot argue with his logic: How have our liberties devolved to the level where we tolerate: Affirmative Action, Farm (Ethanol) Subsidies, Warrant-less Search and Seizures, Gun Control (including concealed carry PERMITS), The Federal Reserve Banking System (Fiat Money), EPA mandates to regulate light bulbs (among other egregious mandates), to impose un-funded Federal mandates upon States, only to mention a few?

Not one other elected person in Congress has the intestinal fortitude to do what Ron Paul has done for so long.

Sadly, the matrix will continue to silence any who hope to join Ron Paul in public service.

Instead, far too many believe in hollow mantras of Hope (not a method) and Change (not necessarily an articulated imperative).

Be well.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    One last comment before I head out...

How many people here get drunk every day? Cheat on your spouse? Are extremely rude to people you meet?

What, these are all legal and you don't do them?

If your only reason for doing or not doing something is the law then you need to re-examine your life.

Shipwreck, I'm glad you're working with these kids but they got issues the law can't fix. They've got to want to make the right decision. Even if marijuana didn't exist on the face of the Earth they would have the same problems with a different drug.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Seems like that's the sum of all human history, from Ogg the cave man to the United States government: Some a**hole in a position of dominance and/or "authority" telling you what you can and can't do.....yet typically doing it themselves. Charles Rangel would be an excellent example.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    One last comment before I head out...

How many people here get drunk every day? Cheat on your spouse? Are extremely rude to people you meet?

What, these are all legal and you don't do them?

If your only reason for doing or not doing something is the law then you need to re-examine your life.

Shipwreck, I'm glad you're working with these kids but they got issues the law can't fix. They've got to want to make the right decision. Even if marijuana didn't exist on the face of the Earth they would have the same problems with a different drug.

jenkem anyone?

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Well, I'm still going to disagree with some of you guys. While I am an adult probation officer, I also get 17,18 and 19 year old kids sometimes.. Some are still in high school. So, not all have tons of criminal history weighing in on them, or tons of financial issues.

I was thinking more along the lines of bad parenting or a broken home.

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    As far as other drugs go... whoda thunk anyone would lick a frog?

As far as how far the gov't will go sticking their noses in your business... I heard on the news this morning that it is now illegal to sell even used cribs and the fine for doing so is $100,000 per crib. The manufacturing specs have changed and ALL old cribs are to be done away with.
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/article.aspx?subjectid=277&articleid=20110628_39_D1_CUTLIN738456

If there is not a rudder correction made soon, the results will be catastrophic!

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    As far as how far the gov't will go sticking their noses in your business... I heard on the news this morning that it is now illegal to sell even used cribs and the fine for doing so is $100,000 per crib. The manufacturing specs have changed and ALL old cribs are to be done away with.

That's because many of today's parents were latchkey kids and didn't have REAL parenting. (ass kicked when you screwed up as opposed to taking away the nintendo or the damn phone), so they need to be protected from themselves with all these consumer protective laws and shit...

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    Ah, yes, the infamous "timeout," started by the Yuppies and now infecting all American parenting.
    My parents employed the "hold the edge of the table and take your smacks and then go stand in the corner and think about why you got the smacks". Didn't happen more than once. Momma didn't raise no fool...

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    Well, worse than that - now parents are afraid of Child Protective Services. Parents afraid to be parents.

The kids are encouraged to talk about everything going on at home if they think something is wrong. Son gets grounded (Things taken away and confined to room) for running away multiple times, defience and foul language TRANSLATION: (to school counseler) What's wrong? I aint allowed to see my family and I have nothing but a bed and a dresser. = Instant CPS case...
    Than when case is dropped EVENTUALLY... Nobody bothers telling the kids that CPS isn't a tool to be used against your parents when your pissed off at them. sorry for the :sign0101:.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I got LOTS of licks growing up. There was none of this hand business, a belt at home or a wooden paddle at school. I deserved most of it, but some of it was too much I think. Once kids start getting older and more mature it just breeds resentment and you ought to be able to work things out with them if you did a good job early on.

<Derail>
    My 9 year old is autistic so I had to learn a lot about parenting and child psychology. Most things I knew from my childhood were wrong for him. Spanking him wasn't going to do anything but confuse him and make everything worse. Then you get the other kids asking why they get a spanking and he doesn't. Being a parent is a serious job and some people don't take it seriously. If you're consistent, set rules and communicate clearly then it almost always turns out better regardless of how you punish them or what disabilities they may have.

I've done quite a few things in my life that I consider difficult, but being a parent is without a doubt the hardest thing I've ever had to do. When you fail it's not your buddy, your team, yourself, etc. that you are failing...you are failing your own son or daughter. This was only reinforced with my oldest son; not knowing whether or not he'd ever be independent or speak beyond sign language. Now he's the best behaved of the bunch and is in gifted and talented classes at school. It's been a long road.

Sorry for the sidetrack but there's times I saw people commenting in public when they didn't know what the situation is. I remember getting lots of stares and comments under people's breath because my son "looked" normal but was throwing a fit because something super small to us had set him off. I admittedly was less than Christian to some of them - I know some great "words" from the Corps. I know there's bad parenting, but sometimes there's also more going on than people know.
    </Derail>

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Well, worse than that - now parents are afraid of Child Protective Services. Parents afraid to be parents.

That's what happens when all levels of government--and the population in general--venture into social engineering. Ironically (and you guys have heard me say this many times in these forums), if you want to see traditional parenting as you members who are about 40 and older remember it, travel to Europe where it's still alive and well. Ironic in the extreme.

My parents employed the "hold the edge of the table and take your smacks and then go stand in the corner and think about why you got the smacks". Didn't happen more than once. Momma didn't raise no fool...

Respect and authority are earned by qualitative parents at an early age, and with effective parenting like my parents did spankings were very rare as we kids knew what was expected of us and what the repercussions were if we didn't follow the rules. Nowadays kids know how to play the system and effectively neuter their parents. People do not understand just how devastating this social degradation has been to our nation in every manner possible.

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    Respect and authority are earned by qualitative parents at an early age, and with effective parenting like my parents did spankings were very rare as we kids knew what was expected of us and what the repercussions were if we didn't follow the rules. Nowadays kids know how to play the system and effectively neuter their parents. People do not understand just how devastating this social degradation has been to our nation in every manner possible.
    I had the kind of parents that I am as a dog owner. I look at my dogs and they know what I want without my having to say a thing. A tilt of my head and they sit; a look from Mom or Dad and I STFU. My dogs don't need too many of those looks and neither did I. Too many parents are too afraid, apathetic, or uncaring to provide their children basic, consistent expectations for their behavior that give them the framework they need to grow into adults and make the decisions that make Mr. Paul's views not so fucking radical.

Again, my 0.02.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Says either someone who is either using marijuana himself, or someone who has nothing to base this off of. And if you are a user who hasn't moved into anything else. That's good. But, I never said everyone who uses marijuana moves on. Only that it is a gateway drug... But, as I stated before, no one here is going to convince the other side. My point is that I actually deal with it. Your point is that you THINK it's not a drug or a gateway drug.

Hold on there, Skippy. Weren't you just complaining about insults!?

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    A friend told me once, a man should raise a couple of good dogs before he tries kids. I've often told folks that kids must learn sit and stay very early in life and I still stand by it.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    A friend told me once, a man should raise a couple of good dogs before he tries kids. I've often told folks that kids must learn sit and stay very early in life and I still stand by it.

Funny enough, the psychology of training dogs works just fine on human beings. Even grown men.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Rules, consistency and clear communication.

I was just thinking about the fact that kids vary just like dogs. Some are super hyper, some are more knotheaded, etc.

Top Bottom