• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Just thought I would share my experience with them. Years ago I decided to venture out on Black Friday to Academy who was selling a Rossi 461-3. .357 revolver, steel frame, full size rubber grip, 6 shot with a 3" barrel for $199.

It's been a great pistol and I've had no problems with it firing either .38 or .357. There's a (drop) recall on them where they supposedly need to change a couple of parts and ship it back to you. Since Academy does the shipping for free if you buy from them, I took it back to them and they sent it in for me for free.

This was on 10/4/19. I got a call today, 4/17/20 from Rossi. The pistol failed their test/inspection/whatever (they can't fix it) so they're offering me a new pistol in exchange. Taurus no longer offers a 3" .357, so my options were a snub nose or a 4" model. I opted for the 4" so they agreed to ship a 4" model 65 to Academy for me.

Of course the whole Mexican beer flu put a run on firearms, so they're currently out of stock and will have to wait for more to come in before they ship one out for me.

So after 6 months, they've agreed to ship me a new pistol for free. From what I suspect, they started the recall without actually having a fix, so getting in early backfired on me. They will send a new replacement, but not the exact same size. I'll have to look into the Model 65 and decide if I want to keep it or sell it. I really liked the size of the Rossi. That was the only 3" .357 I had.

Just wanted to pass along my experience.
    Gun Zone Deals

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I have a somewhat similar story involving a ‘free’ Taurus model 66 (seven shot) revolver. From my ex’s father, I inherited an old Taurus 38-Spcl upon his passing. He was a plumber in east Texas; I suspect he took it, in trade on a plumbing job he did for somebody. Anyway it found its way to me.

I took it out to shoot - at first, it did fine but the second & third time out, it would “lock up” on a certain chamber. Other than some noticeable wear on the ejector spindle I couldn’t figure out what was wrong. I was guessing the timing was off so I decided to send it in for repair. The pistol was made in Brazil, under the “old” Taurus company (S&W design) but no spare or repair parts available under the “new” Taurus company ownership.

So they offered to replace this old (circa, late 1960s as best I could tell) .38 Special for free. I decided I’d take their offer.... did I really have any choice? Besides it seemed a pretty generous offer considering the change in company ownership and operations. I asked about upgrading the replacement to a .357 and offered to pay any difference between it and the.38-spcl. They quoted some marginal price difference to upgrade to the Model 66 (I think forty bucks or some such). Next thing I know, I’m getting a call from my FFL saying a revolver has shown up with my name on it. Taurus shipped a new seven shot, 4-inch, blued Model 66 to me. I never received an invoice for the price difference.

I’ve put a few boxes of ammo through it, to break it in. Put a set of Wolf springs to smooth the trigger & pull weight, added a laser grip and got a couple of 7-shot speed loaders for it. It’s serving duty as an additional home defense gun.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    6 months for a recall? That's crazy.

And counting. It took 6 months just to get an update on my status. I'm still waiting on my pistol.

Any guesses how much longer that will be? By the time this virus thing passes, we'll be talking election and the next gun rush could start.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Just thought I would share my experience with them. Years ago I decided to venture out on Black Friday to Academy who was selling a Rossi 461-3. .357 revolver, steel frame, full size rubber grip, 6 shot with a 3" barrel for $199.

It's been a great pistol and I've had no problems with it firing either .38 or .357. There's a (drop) recall on them where they supposedly need to change a couple of parts and ship it back to you. Since Academy does the shipping for free if you buy from them, I took it back to them and they sent it in for me for free.

This was on 10/4/19. I got a call today, 4/17/20 from Rossi. The pistol failed their test/inspection/whatever (they can't fix it) so they're offering me a new pistol in exchange. Taurus no longer offers a 3" .357, so my options were a snub nose or a 4" model. I opted for the 4" so they agreed to ship a 4" model 65 to Academy for me.

Of course the whole Mexican beer flu put a run on firearms, so they're currently out of stock and will have to wait for more to come in before they ship one out for me.

So after 6 months, they've agreed to ship me a new pistol for free. From what I suspect, they started the recall without actually having a fix, so getting in early backfired on me. They will send a new replacement, but not the exact same size. I'll have to look into the Model 65 and decide if I want to keep it or sell it. I really liked the size of the Rossi. That was the only 3" .357 I had.

Just wanted to pass along my experience.
    3 inch 357s are as close to perfection as a combat revolver gets. Set up for moon clips and ahhhhhh.

Sorry you lost it to recall retards.

Dont they make a bulldog in 3 inch 41 mag?

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    My experience with warranty service has been interesting. I bought a radical firearms AR-15 since I was on a budget. It ran fine but eventually it kept jamming every few rounds. They have a lifetime warranty and luckily their shop is across town. However, I ended up going there 3 times. They would look it over, shoot it three times then say it works fine. I would go shoot it again and the problem persisted. Fed up, I sent a heated email calling them out. A new associate responded, telling me to bring it over one last time. I told them to shoot an entire magazine, not just 3 rounds (you could hear their indoor range in the back, from the lobby). They ended up replacing the whole upper, calling it a lemon. Bottom line, hold their feet to the fire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Nice story, but exactly why am I supposed to hold anyone's feet to the fire?

A design flaw that they can't physically repair made my firearm subject to a recall. They don't offer that model anymore, but offered me a brand new revolver in the same caliber. They had a shorter barrel or a longer barrel to choose from, and they let me choose which one I wanted.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I missed my anniversary . I meant to post on the 4th to mark 1 year since I had sent in the pistol for a recall. l wonder what the odds are I'll receive my replacement revolver before anniversary #2?

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Well the 2nd anniversary of me sending it in for some quick recall work has come and gone. They still have no idea when I might receive my replacement pistol.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Demand a refund. It sucks, but now you know why people say to not buy taurus
    It was a black Friday special for $99. All steel, 3", 6 shot 357 in a J frame size with a rubber full size grip. That's something that's hard to find. I actually never had a problem with it. I wish I would have just hung on to it instead of sending it in for the recall.

When the replacement comes, I'll either trade it in at the dealer or sell it unfired. Either way I should get more than $99 for it.

Top Bottom