• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    Friend of mine bought a Rock River AR-15 6.8 (used). This gun looked like it was never fired, but I notice that the barrel was not stamped with the twist or caliber. We chambered a 6.8 round and it fit and came out just fine...

Not sure, but does Rock River stamp their barrels?
    DK Firearms

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    did you check the bottom of the barrel at the end? I actually called (DPMS) and they informed me where it was. It was hard to find.

Otherwise, I can't help you.

You could run a 270 cleaning rod down to make sure it isnt a .223 barrel.

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    <shudder>

My friend, you are either the luckiest man alive, or you're pulling our leg. I can not imagine firing a cartridge in a gun unless I know it's proper!

Hehehe.... We didn't fire the weapon, just chambered then ejected. We wanted to make sure it wasn't a .223 barrel. I agree, I'm not going to fire it without knowing exactly what it is...

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    No biggie... I'm sure there are plenty of stories of people trying to fire a weapon with the wrong ammo... Would not want to be there...

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    I wonder if he could take it to a gunsmith and might be able to measure the barrel?? Not sure any other way to know if it's a 6.8 or not...

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I have an rra barrel that the only stamping on it anywhere is just 1/9 ... It was obviously .223 but I feel your pain. Makes it hard to sell something to someone as a quality barrel when there is no proof mark.

Now I am not telling you to go shoot it till you find out but there are not many chambers the 6.8 will fit in completely.. meaning seated properly in the ar platform. The 6.8 is between the .223 and .308 .. so it can't be a .308 win, ak, 300 whisperer, 6.5 gendel it would jiggle around in. If the gun is RRA all the way around just call in the serial # to RRA and figure it out. Does the lower not have a Cal marking or anything? Can't rely on the fact it is a complete gun though either.

Good luck.

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    I have an rra barrel that the only stamping on it anywhere is just 1/9 ... It was obviously .223 but I feel your pain. Makes it hard to sell something to someone as a quality barrel when there is no proof mark.

Now I am not telling you to go shoot it till you find out but there are not many chambers the 6.8 will fit in completely.. meaning seated properly in the ar platform. The 6.8 is between the .223 and .308 .. so it can't be a .308 win, ak, 300 whisperer, 6.5 gendel it would jiggle around in. If the gun is RRA all the way around just call in the serial # to RRA and figure it out. Does the lower not have a Cal marking or anything? Can't rely on the fact it is a complete gun though either.

Good luck.

The lower is stamped and the housing for the bolt is printed with 6.8, but I see no markings on the barrel. Like it's almost an after market barrel...

I have a 5.56 and .308, but never messed with a 6.5. The 6.5 sounds really close to the 6.8...

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    comparison-5.7-308.jpg
    .223, 6.8 spc, then 6.5 grendel, 6.5x45, .308 win ... starting from the 3rd to the left. Notice the diameter of the Brass and the length from the base to the shoulder... This is why certain bullets will not fit into other chambers. The chambers are cut to fit the bullet. So for instance if you put the 6.8 into the 6.5 chamber the shouldler would hit and the base of the case would stick way out the end and the bolt would not close. Now there are many rounds like the .222 that will go down into the .223 chamber and you might not be able to tell and get yourself into trouble.

Call RRA and talk to them.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    The 6.8 is good but nothing like the 6.5 grendel.You can load up some pretty amazing rounds with 6.5 bullets. 6.8 was designed more to give better knock down power to the ar. Seems like that round going to be pushed away though by some of these other inventions coming out like the 300 black out...

Ric_Knight

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    San Marcos
    I just took a look at the Rock River website and they appear to only make 6.8s, not the Grendel. The lower receiver should be marked LAR-6.8, 6.8 Remington SPC or something to that effect. If you have any question as to the model or caliber take it to a gunsmith and have it checked out.

Top Bottom