• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    My only problem with the bersa is that for such a large gun, there are better options (aka guns in better calibers).

I hate looking for 380 auto, and I hate paying the +$20/50 rounds (especially when i pay ~$12/100 9mm luger), and the fact that the cheaper, 9mm is going to have much more velocity.

Can you tell I'm a little bitter? : P
    Capitol Armory ad

Ranger60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    I really like my LCP with Hornady Critical Defense rounds and a Crimson Trace, very accurate and easy to carry, goes in my pocket every day like my wallet does. No thought involved.

Byaah_19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    I would go with the bersa if I had to pick I have owned 3 of them and never had a problem out of any of them. I would get her the walther p22. She'll love it and you will ease her into it, then move up calibers. I have found that smaller guns have more recoil. 22's are a blast to shoot.

SapperMapper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Killeen
    Happy LCP owner and daily carrier here, but as someone said, previously, it's not a forgiving gun, and not one I would buy for a first timer. I'd recommend a compact 9mm.

However, the LCP is a blast to shoot if you keep a decent grip on it. Here's a pic of me at the range yesterday:

6336.jpg

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    If you want to get your wife to go shooting with you, my advice is forget about a carry weapon and find something for her that is only a range gun. My wife has one of the lightweight snub nose 38 specials, but if we go to the range she likes to shoot my Hi-Power or maybe a 1911.

Another possibility is one of the 22 pistols. Something she can learn the basics on and get used to shooting so she can enjoy it. A full size pistol or a 22 target pistol will have less recoil so in my opinion, that would be a better weapon for her to start with.

Once she's got the basics down you can discuss carry options and stronger recoil.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I can't say I'm wild about the Bersa. I see a lot of them in CHL qualifications and they are unreliable. They have some sharp or rough edges, and it's not uncommon for women to cut their hands manipulating the handgun.

The LCP is a slightly higher quality of the low-quality Keltec.

Men tend to pick guns for women, rather than letting them pick the weapon that works best for them. There's a misconception, particularly among men, that small guns are best for women. The small handguns are tougher to shoot, more difficult to manipulate and usually less reliable.

The lightweight 30spl are particularly difficult for women to shoot. The light weight really sharpens the recoil and most of them have horrible sights.

I'd lean more towards the Kahr MK9 or the Smith & Wesson M&P Compact 9mm. If you MUST go smaller, the Sig P238 .380acp is an awesome little gun, and women love the rainbow finish (if you can find one). Shiloh usually has one or two.

I don't know if price is an issue, but you did list a couple of lower cost handguns. This is where I tell people that there is about $150 between high-quality, reliable handguns and marginal-quality, less reliable handguns. DON'T CHEAP OUT!!! I'm sure your life is well worth that $150!

Englishman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    The New World
    I can't say I'm wild about the Bersa. I see a lot of them in CHL qualifications and they are unreliable. They have some sharp or rough edges, and it's not uncommon for women to cut their hands manipulating the handgun.

+1 They can bite men too

My first 3 range sessions I came away with blood on my hands admittedly some my fault and some down to poor finish from the factory. There are sharp edges from poor finishing all over my slide. The beaver tail on mine had a very minor casting imperfection that caused a patch of skin to be removed where the right thumb meets the hand after only a few rounds fired. I eventually got this out with gentle application of an oil stone but dam annoying for new out of the box. The imperfection was so small, most folks thought I was imagining it…….it was hard to find, but it was there. Now gone, it now fine.

I personally purchased a Bersa as my first entry to handguns. I was not sure if shooting was to be something I really wanted to do long-term and as such wanted to keep cost down, uninformed, availability in general at the time. Hindsight - I should have gone to Shilo’s and used their rentals to find my gun before I bought. I do enjoy my Bersa and I believe its a fair entry level gun at best. Be warned there are for sure better things to buy for only a few dollars more.

I think a female may find the Bersa slide tough to rack and the safety is very stiff to operate even after mine has over 1,000 rounds fired.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I had a Kel-Tec P3AT that I traded for a Taurus PT111, I got the much better deal out of that transaction. It has the distinction of being the only gun that I have ever sold/traded. I even put the extension on the magazine, and still hated it. Ammo was expensive and hard to find, it wasn't accurate and there were no safeties whatsoever.

I love the PT111, and even bought the single-stack version, the PT709 Slim (OK, it isn't necessarily the same model, but they are very close otherwise). I love it too. Taurus makes good, inexpensive guns; and they stand behind them (lifetime warranty no matter which owner you are).

As such, I would recommend looking into the new Taurus PT738 TCP, smaller than the PT111 but from what I have read it is a great shooting pocket pistol (here's Jeff Quinn's review) It's made in Miami, and I held one at a recent gun show. I am definitely considering one as a pocket pistol, I am just not sure if I want to venture back into the .380 world even though the ammo is starting to show up again...

Cheers! M2

69rrvert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    Angleton, Texas
    I have a Taurus PT-111 that I carry in my front pocket. It's a good shooting gun. I currently have about 200 rounds thru it. I have been tying to get time to take her to the range and shot my PT-111 but I can't seem to get a break from work. I ended up getting her the Bersa. Thanks for everyones input. I'll have to take a look at the gun for sharp edges before shooting it. Thanks, Steven

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom