Guns International

Ruh Roh. Pro fishermen caught cheating at tournament.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    79E2F4D0-6F90-4CB7-927F-F9C175A80175.gif

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've seen all sorts of people cheat.... factory reps & cops to name a few.
    Where there's competition, there will be cheating.

Over all my years of competitive shooting, I saw cheating about a dozen times. One was anolder couple that genuinely didn't understand the rule they were breaking. One was a national champ who missed an easy shot, realized no one was watching, and his spotter marked it as a hit; he knew what he was doing when he signed that scorecard.

Every other cheater I've ever seen has been a cop. The police chief down in Victoria was, decades ago, utterly blatant about it. I talked to the match director to ask why he didn't do anything about it. He said something, approximately, like "I don't need a traffic ticket every time I pull out of my driveway."

My point? There are reasons people cheat. Shooting or fishing, if the person believes they're so important that they're above the rules, they'll start cutting corners.

It's just nice to see one get caught.

LabRat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    DFW
    How did he pull that off for so long? No one ever checks the fish?

In the tournaments I've fished, you try to keep the fish alive and return them to the water. Live wells in the boat, etc.
    So No, the fish are not gutted to check the weight. This guy is lucky to still have his arms attached to his body at this point.
    He was wearing a Ranger Boats jacket. Hope Ranger distances themselves from the this guy asap.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Guy got complacent, greedy and stupid. Thinking he had gotten away with it for so long, surely he would not get caught. A cheater has to be lucky every time, the person catching them only once. The only way to stop that kind of cheating is to have metal detectors at weigh ins. But there is still stuffing of non metallics in fish. I have seen tournaments won by ounces. I was personally in one that the difference between ist and 4th was less than 1/2 pound. All 4 had only one fish. I lost out on money by .1 pound.
    The only way to ensure there is no cheating,,,don't have a compitition.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Nope. They still do weigh in tournaments. They just are not as exciting to watch as the ones where you see ALL the fish they catch. When they are released imediately after the weigh it is hard to catch the cheaters. Unless they get stupid like this guy. When you have average fish that are above average weight it sparks interest. Quick. And even in local events you can get felony charges for fraud. The ones I used to fish, that guy would be lucky not to be going to the hospital before jail.

I have a dear friend that’s neck deep in fishing tournaments. He and his bride are regularly in the money. It’s all fun competition until the cheater gets caught doing cheating stuff. My buddy John will beat an ass for it.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    When I had a boat, I did tuesday night on Stillhouse Lake. Won money too. I have friends that seldom miss it. They live for tuesday and thursday tounaments. Saturday as well. I wasn't quite that into it. I did it just for fun.
    Cheaters would not have faired very good if caught. They could be some rough boys when pissed. LE would not have had much left to prosecute.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    So, Democrats cheat to steal elections and the media turns a blind eye but when a redneck bass fisherman cheats its front page news across the nation?

Don’t get me wrong, the guy should be banned from the tour, but the media is playing this in a way that paints pro fishing as a corrupt sport while they sing the praises of the Woke twisted MLB, NBA and NFL.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    There is more info here than in that video: https://www.foxnews.com/sports/lake-erie-fishing-tournament-ends-cheating-controversy

It was not just "him" or "that guy" it was a pair of cheaters. They reportedly had been suspected of cheating for years. They also reportedly had possibly scored big money in fishing tournaments, up to six figures.

Lost out on a pool, of decent amount years ago when on a party boat off Long Island while fishing for cod fish. The winner's fish had a sizeable lead weight in its belly. The weight was somewhat encrusted with small marine life so that guy won. Cod are supposedly known to swallow lots of stuff they pick up when bottom feeding.

Last edited:

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

Bill just can't win, can he? :laughing:

As for cheaters... been an ongoing thing since competitive fishing was a thing. I remember years back, a record smallmouth bass was DQ'd when pictures emerged of the big fish having been stuffed full of lead weight. Other bass tournies where the winning big fish was full of lead - people got suspicious that the fish weighed way more than it looked like it should've - and they were right.

Besides the issues of mortality by dragging fish to a weigh in - C&R tournaments where the points awarded are based on the number of fish vs the weight keep things more legit. Especially since everyone fishing in those tournaments has a referee on board, or a camera, or both.

I'd love to be a pro angler - I don't have a boat or the disposable cash to chase the tournament circuit for the first few years before trying to get sponsor attention. So I fish for fun. There can be stupid money in being in the top of the game. Pro fishing tournies have made a lot of guys millionaires.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Fishing for pleasure is THE way to go.

Tournaments turn something wonderful into shit...
    To a point, I agree.
    I used to fish them just for fun. Not to win. Any time I gamble, and it is, when I put my money down I figure it is gone. Anything I won was a bonus. And my style of Bass fishn is way too limited to be a serious contender very often.
    I don't care what you are doing, if you are not doing it for fun it becomes work and a PITA real quick.
    I tell folks I go fishn to go fishn, not catch fish. The minute I get bait in the water, I am 100% successful. If you fish to catch fish, any time you don't have a fish on the line you are a failure.
    That is a lot of being a failure......

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Where there's competition, there will be cheating.

Over all my years of competitive shooting, I saw cheating about a dozen times. One was anolder couple that genuinely didn't understand the rule they were breaking. One was a national champ who missed an easy shot, realized no one was watching, and his spotter marked it as a hit; he knew what he was doing when he signed that scorecard.

Every other cheater I've ever seen has been a cop. The police chief down in Victoria was, decades ago, utterly blatant about it. I talked to the match director to ask why he didn't do anything about it. He said something, approximately, like "I don't need a traffic ticket every time I pull out of my driveway."

My point? There are reasons people cheat. Shooting or fishing, if the person believes they're so important that they're above the rules, they'll start cutting corners.

It's just nice to see one get caught.
    When parents cheat almost a given that offspring will, and it gets worse with each generation.

That's 79 years of observation talking ...

Top Bottom