• ...and so much more!
  • Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I always think about the overwhelmingly large number of people who need medications to survive and what that will look like when this all comes crashing down
    People who need drastic meds will not be ok.

Some crops I plan on growing just for medicine will be blackberries, sword ferns and birch trees. I’ll at least be able to stop people from throwing up/having diarrhea, gout/joint/kidney stones, and easing pain for toothache. I’m limited to what will grow in gumbo soil.

Peaches and plums should yield well once established.
    Target Sports

Last edited:

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Maybe. How far gone are they already? If society went to hell people would actually be healthier at least if they had access to clean water, fresh meat, basic sugars, natural supplements. Changing diet can reverse a lot of problems. Overall most will die.

Reactions: MTA

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I don't expect us to get thrown back into the 1800s... Really what I expect is for things to just get very expensive relative to how they are today. Probably a lot of useless people out of work, too. Hopefully all of the clickbait "journalists" :laughing: They'll have to get jobs producing things as we re-learn how to make things for ourselves again.

I also expect things to be more local. That will mean shortages in some things and normal supply in others. Using the diabetic example above, 90% of the world's insulin is manufactured in the US. If rampant piracy or WW3 cuts off trade routes it'll be diabetics in other countries dying, not here. Of course if we keep having transportation shortages here some states might have insulin and others won't. I don't think any of those facilities are in Texas.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    People who need drastic meds will not be ok.

Some crops I plan on growing just for medicine will be blackberries, sword ferns and birch trees. I’ll at least be able to stop people from throwing up/having diarrhea, gout/joint/kidney stones, and easing pain for toothache. I’m limited to what will grow in gumbo soil.

Peaches and plums should yield well once established.
    You might also look at adding herbs as well. They can be grown in smaller containers, that can be brought inside if the weather gets too cold. Some would be great for seasonings, as well as for cooking, and some even have medicinal uses as well.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I don't expect us to get thrown back into the 1800s... Really what I expect is for things to just get very expensive relative to how they are today. Probably a lot of useless people out of work, too. Hopefully all of the clickbait "journalists" :laughing: They'll have to get jobs producing things as we re-learn how to make things for ourselves again.

I also expect things to be more local. That will mean shortages in some things and normal supply in others. Using the diabetic example above, 90% of the world's insulin is manufactured in the US. If rampant piracy or WW3 cuts off trade routes it'll be diabetics in other countries dying, not here. Of course if we keep having transportation shortages here some states might have insulin and others won't. I don't think any of those facilities are in Texas.
    I'm just wondering, are there any natural alternatives for a diabetic?

Reason I ask, what did diabetics use before modern drugs?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    99.99% of people don't get diabetes before the mass importation of sugar in the 19th century.
    I didn't know that.

So the sugar is the root cause of diabetes? If so, if people weaned themselves from sugar, wouldn't that in essence make it go away?

I do understand some of the basics of diabetes, about how the pancreas produces the insulin the body needs or doesn't produce enough insulin the body needs.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I didn't know that.

So the sugar is the root cause of diabetes? If so, if people weaned themselves from sugar, wouldn't that in essence make it go away?

I do understand some of the basics of diabetes, about how the pancreas produces the insulin the body needs or doesn't produce enough insulin the body needs.

Type 1 - No Not in the least

Type 2 - almost exclusively weight related, sugar causes excessive weight gain. Diabetes would have been limited to mostly to the extreme upper class and nobility in europe and almost exclusively to the ruling class in Africa, ME, South Asia, and East Asia.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Not much for a Type 1 like my mother. Shudder. For a Type 2 - many of them could get things under better control with diet and exercise.

Type 1 - No Not in the least

Type 2 - almost exclusively weight related, sugar causes excessive weight gain. Diabetes would have been limited to mostly to the extreme upper class and nobility in europe and almost exclusively to the ruling class in Africa, ME, South Asia, and East Asia.
    Yes, I knew there were two types. Type 1, the pancreas doesn't produce the natural insulin the body needs, and Type 2, the body doesn't utilize the insulin the way the body needs.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 about thirty years ago. Was able to bring it under control with a drastic diet change and medication that I was on for almost three years. I still have flare-ups with it occasionally, and keep it checked with my regular doctor's visits.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Yes, I knew there were two types. Type 1, the pancreas doesn't produce the natural insulin the body needs, and Type 2, the body doesn't utilize the insulin the way the body needs.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 about thirty years ago. Was able to bring it under control with a drastic diet change and medication that I was on for almost three years. I still have flare-ups with it occasionally, and keep it checked with my regular doctor's visits.

No, Type 1 the body’s immune system starts attacking and destroying parts of itself—specifically, its own beta cells. Fewer beta cells means less insulin secreted into the body. And less insulin means that glucose is locked out of cells, and stays in the blood stream. As type 1 diabetes progresses, it’s thought that beta cells are completely wiped out

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    some form of keto diet would do everyone good. I gave up bread and I feel great from that alone. Meals are more filling.

sugars will always be around. It’s why people can get fat by eating too much fruit even if they think their being healthy.

Foods in general are loaded with garbage. Sub your pasta for veggie pasta. Kick the snacks. Stop eating bread. Eating meat and having some fruit or veggies is all a guy needs. So many health problems develop because of crappy food. It’s hard to eat right too because many foods have msg. Msg makes your brain want it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    some form of keto diet would do everyone good. I gave up bread and I feel great from that alone. Meals are more filling.

sugars will always be around. It’s why people can get fat by eating too much fruit even if they think their being healthy.

Foods in general are loaded with garbage. Sub your pasta for veggie pasta. Kick the snacks. Stop eating bread. Eating meat and having some fruit or veggies is all a guy needs. So many health problems develop because of crappy food. It’s hard to eat right too because many foods have msg. Msg makes your brain want it.
    I don't totally disagree with that, but wouldn't fruits with natural sugars be more healthy than processed sugars in foods?

One of the changes I had to make was switching to wheat breads because they have a more complex carbohydrates. Cornbread is also good too.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I don't totally disagree with that, but wouldn't fruits with natural sugars be more healthy than processed sugars in foods?

One of the changes I had to make was switching to wheat breads because they have a more complex carbohydrates. Cornbread is also good too.
    Yes fruits are good and better I was making a point though with how much sugar is in many popular fruits one can still get fat by eating lots of fruit.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Yes fruits are good and better I was making a point though with how much sugar is in many popular fruits one can still get fat by eating lots of fruit.

Pickles are a great food to keep around too. Vinegar is really healthy. Having pickles in your diet can help regulate sugar released.
    I actually have read before the same thing you were stating about weight gain and people eating lots of fruits. I would counter that regular exercise would also be necessary as well to help counter the weight gain.

Yes, pickles are great. And for some, like myself, pickle juice also works to help with muscle cramps from dehydration. Even though when I'm working outside, I drink lots of water to stay hydrated, but still I can get dehydrated, which later on will lead to me getting severe muscle cramps. I keep jars of pickle juice in the fridge for such occasions. Within about five minutes, the cramps will start to ease up. Within about ten to fifteen minutes they are completely gone.

Top Bottom