• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WavesOfFury

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    League City
    Hey guys,

Just got a new 686+ and it's awesome in every way except that the double action trigger pull feels terrible and is unnecessarily heavy. Anybody had a good experience with a 'smith in the Houston area for something similar? And approximately what can I expect to pay?

Thanks!

P.S. I make it up to the Dallas/Fort Worth area fairly frequently, so if there's someone up there that's just a S&W god, let me know.
    Venture Surplus ad

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    You could always get the Jerry Miculek DVD on complete action jobs, and India stone, and a set of reduced power springs and do it yourself. If you are mechanically inclined it's pretty simple. I did this to a 625 and probably didn't do all I could but still have a 6.5 lb double action pull. Granted I've never done any work on a revolver and was completely satisfied with the job. Go for it.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    A S&W with a lousy trigger? Are you sure that someone hasn't already tried to "improve" it? The Wolf spring sets can do a lot of good and you won't make any permanent changes. Try the easy route, first, right?

Flash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Hey guys,

Just got a new 686+ and it's awesome in every way except that the double action trigger pull feels terrible and is unnecessarily heavy. Anybody had a good experience with a 'smith in the Houston area for something similar? And approximately what can I expect to pay?

Thanks!

P.S. I make it up to the Dallas/Fort Worth area fairly frequently, so if there's someone up there that's just a S&W god, let me know.

Back in my 20's I rented a 41mag from an indoor range in Temple. The guy said it had a polished trigger. Oh it was alright. I racked the hammer back, just touched the trigger and it went off. Shot a hole in the ceiling. That was the lightest S&W trigger(single action) i have ever shot. And this revolver had been this guys duty weapon.

So I know the factory trigger can really be made sweet. Here's a little bit of google fu:

Polishing S&W revolver trigger surfaces

If you think you can do it yourself, check out google. There's tons of stuff on polishing

EDIT: Here's Potterfield doing it: Gunsmithing - How to Smooth the Double Action Trigger Pull on a S&W Revolver - YouTube

He's the man! "And thats the way it is"

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I can vouch for MateFrio. If he's referring to the SW he let me shoot at the first Houston meet, than it is a badass trigger.

WavesOfFury

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    League City
    Back in my 20's I rented a 41mag from an indoor range in Temple. The guy said it had a polished trigger. Oh it was alright. I racked the hammer back, just touched the trigger and it went off. Shot a hole in the ceiling. That was the lightest S&W trigger(single action) i have ever shot. And this revolver had been this guys duty weapon.

So I know the factory trigger can really be made sweet. Here's a little bit of google fu:

Polishing S&W revolver trigger surfaces

If you think you can do it yourself, check out google. There's tons of stuff on polishing

EDIT: Here's Potterfield doing it: Gunsmithing - How to Smooth the Double Action Trigger Pull on a S&W Revolver - YouTube

He's the man! "And thats the way it is"

Yeah, I agree. He is the man. But I feel like it's a akin to watching Norm Abram build a set of cabinets. It takes a little more than 30 minutes (or in this case a minute and a half) to know how to do it (seemingly) that effortlessly. haha.

Thanks for all the other suggestions!

WavesOfFury

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    League City
    I think I'm going to try my hand at the Jerry Miculek DVD. I enjoy doing stuff like this myself, but with something as important as the trigger I think I need a little more than a minute and a half of Larry Potterfield dusting over it. Half of which is just an ad for Midway USA (which I love anyway), him informing me "that's the way it is", and thanking me for my business. Haha.

Top Bottom